Tad Callister Gives Evidences of the Book of Mormon - "Five Minute Fireside"

tesuji

What a beautiful witness by a sweet, good man.

I like his quote: "Once you leave this church, it ruins you for any other church, because you just know too much." 

http://www.ldsliving.com/Watch-Tad-Callister-Gives-Evidences-of-the-Book-of-Mormon-How-It-Brought-His-Friend-Back-to-the-Church/s/91166

https://archive.org/stream/TheSaintsHerald_Volume_26_1879/the saints herald volume 26 1879#page/n287/mode/2up

The above link is to one of my favorite 'evidences' of the Book of Mormon.

Tad Callister refers to it in the fireside, but it is much more impressive when you read it yourself and understand the setting of the interview.

Essentially, the elders of the RLDS church ambushed Emma with a series of questions during the final months of her life...

53 minutes ago, mikbone said:

...Essentially, the elders of the RLDS church ambushed Emma with a series of questions during the final months of her life...

Why do you say "ambushed"? This was not an antagonistic interview. As you can see her son asked her the questions.

M.

4 hours ago, Maureen said:

Why do you say "ambushed"? This was not an antagonistic interview. As you can see her son asked her the questions.

M.

Oh, I don’t know; the tone, collusion of the leading minds / Elders of the RLDS Church asking an agreed upon series of questions (including what they knew and feared would be antagonistic polygamy questions).

1FAAF179-0CCF-4B0F-BF6A-A4808F2D9AC4.jpeg.0a18aebe56e1fffaef4dc687f01f6bfb.jpeg

I can imagine Emma’s vexation about half-way thru the interview as her tone implies (How dare you embarrass the family!)

658FF258-DE08-41FA-871C-C198DE4E985B.thumb.jpeg.90c2612afcb31423bf539ab697511fb0.jpeg

I live in liberal California now but I was raised in the South.  And some conversations are not to be discussed in polite company.  

'You question the integrity and character of my dead husband and your martyred father  -  in company no less, and with a recorder?!'

Edited by mikbone

8 hours ago, mikbone said:

https://archive.org/stream/TheSaintsHerald_Volume_26_1879/the saints herald volume 26 1879#page/n287/mode/2up

The above link is to one of my favorite 'evidences' of the Book of Mormon.

Tad Callister refers to it in the fireside, but it is much more impressive when you read it yourself and understand the setting of the interview.

Essentially, the elders of the RLDS church ambushed Emma with a series of questions during the final months of her life...

It’s interesting to me that they make a point of saying Lewis Bidamon was present.  He was apparently quite the philanderer; and I can easily imagine a dynamic where Emma wouldn’t admit in his presence that Joseph had been a polygamist.

That said, reading her answers to Joseph III’s questions on polygamy, I caught myself thinking “you’re so full of crap, lady” more than once.  

I didn't take it as ambushing her either. I took it that she and the leaders agreed on some questions knowing that some of those questions may be upsetting to her. I think providing those questions beforehand (and agreeing on them) shows respect for her feelings. 

And I'm baffled by her claim that Joseph didn't teach or participate in polygamy. 

2 hours ago, beefche said:

I didn't take it as ambushing her either. I took it that she and the leaders agreed on some questions knowing that some of those questions may be upsetting to her. I think providing those questions beforehand (and agreeing on them) shows respect for her feelings. 

I see it differently.  I read that the Elders arrived at the questions without Emma's input.  And the Elders made sure that Joseph Smith III asked all the questions.

The first paragraph describes 2 meetings, the first in the Herald Office with all the Elders (without Emma) wherein they agreed upon the questions.  The second meeting with Emma occurred in the sitting room of Emma and Major Lewis C. Bidamon's home.