Doesn't seem like the church is pushing the old 2 year food storage

Guest Gomezaddams51

Guest Gomezaddams51

Back when I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's it seems like the church was getting everyone to build up a 2 year food supply for survival.  I would think that since this is "the last days" (if the Democrats win) there would be a big push on survival.  Another thing I wonder is why hasn't the church come up with a 21st Century "Mormon Battalion" to help provide protection of the church members or at least push for members getting guns and ammo.    I was inactive from the late 70's and just became active three years ago.  So I missed a lot of what the church was teaching so don't know if anything was brought up back then..  The missionaries finally found me (You can't hide when you finally buy a house) and surprisingly my wife got baptized so I figured I would give up and "Cram for my finals" as my dad used to say.   

Howdy!

The principle of food storage and preparation was always being on top of your earthly finances and in a position where you could take care of yourself & family, and hopefully help others.

In the America's in the 1960-70's, the principle was manifested as was having (essentially) a large basement of food and stuff.  

Nowadays, with a truly global Church, the principle is manifested more as financial management: minimizing debt, building a good savings account, living within your means, and generally being responsible with your money.   For example, the two fifth Sundays we've had this year Sunday School has focused on stressing this principle and giving tips.  The Self Reliance classes are now out and really pushed as well.  

We just got done covering this in the 5th Sunday combined 2nd hour.   Yes indeed, the emphasis on the 1 year (I guess you heard 2 years) food storage was replaced around a decade ago with this:

image.png.f079001ebc5276b0d5979d76f59e4b2a.png

I haven't heard any church leader talk about a 1 year supply since Pres. Hinckley's 1998 To the Boys and To the Men talk.    Well, I mean, in 2007-08 as we were entering scary times again, everyone brushed off that talk and started talking about it again, but still, that's a long time ago.

All that said, it's always good to meet another person concerned about temporal preparations surrounding the last days.  So, Glock or 1911?

Edited by NeuroTypical

12 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

So, Glock or 1911?

1911 for me, please and thank you.

Though if the democrats come to take your guns away you might need something a bit more effective for fighting the coming war than a pistol. :)

3 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Though if the democrats come to take your guns away you might need something a bit more effective for fighting the coming war than a pistol. :)

Well, I tend to not talk about the bunker and minefield online.  Gotta keep a low profile so all the people investing in bugout vehicles don't come to my place when it happens.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 9:03 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Well, I tend to not talk about the bunker and minefield online.  Gotta keep a low profile so all the people investing in bugout vehicles don't come to my place when it happens.

I have a friend that brags about his emergency plan - he keeps a grand store of weapons and a ward (and stake) membership list highlighted with those that have bragged about their food storage.

The Traveler

On 7/8/2019 at 9:02 AM, anatess2 said:

While we're on this topic... I just learned how to use your wheat flour to make Seitan - a vegan alternative to meat protein.  I have an urban chicken farm in my backyard which is my "meat food storage".  The Seitan is a great addition to it.

What is your plan when all your belonging you intend to keep are put into a hand cart for you to pull back to Missouri?

The Traveler

On 8/30/2019 at 3:53 PM, Traveler said:

What is your plan when all your belonging you intend to keep are put into a hand cart for you to pull back to Missouri?

The Traveler

I don't have "belongings I intend to keep" when the situation is so dire the prophet asks Filipinos to cross the ocean with hand carts to go to Missouri.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

I don't have "belongings I intend to keep" when the situation is so dire the prophet asks Filipinos to cross the ocean with hand carts to go to Missouri.

Hmmmmmmmm - since you see this as a literal question - did you not know that the vast majority of saints that came to Utah pulling handcarts began their journey from across the seas?

But again I must apologize - because it was my impression that you are married to a US citizen and that you currently reside (permanent residence) on the American continent. 

The Traveler

8 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Hmmmmmmmm - since you see this as a literal question - did you not know that the vast majority of saints that came to Utah pulling handcarts began their journey from across the seas?

But again I must apologize - because it was my impression that you are married to a US citizen and that you currently reside (permanent residence) on the American continent. 

The Traveler

My answer stands - I don't have "belongings I intend to keep".  My belongings serve a purpose for the situation I can foresee.  True preparation is that one has the ability to use resources at hand for survival as situations of excrements hitting the fan arises and you find yourself having to walk across the fruited plains or swim across an ocean having to carry a handcart for some reason.  Of course, if God tells me I have to bring that handcart, I am bringing that handcart - I mean, He has commanded Nephi to bring a giant book before, why not a handcart...

Edited by anatess2

My maternal ancestors came from the Isle of Jersey.  They heeded the call to Zion, sold all their stuff, booked passage to the US, outfitted themselves for the trek west.  They were more or less "assigned" to settle Tooele, UT, where they almost starved the first winter because their money had run out and crops were bad.  

I can see stuff like that happening in a future gathering of the saints.  

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

My maternal ancestors came from the Isle of Jersey.  They heeded the call to Zion, sold all their stuff, booked passage to the US, outfitted themselves for the trek west.  They were more or less "assigned" to settle Tooele, UT, where they almost starved the first winter because their money had run out and crops were bad.  

I can see stuff like that happening in a future gathering of the saints.  

Perfect example of what I've been trying to say.

Don't be attached to "belongings".  You keep/discard/acquire/etc the belongings that you will need for the situation at hand.  You won't know what those will be until.... the situation is at hand or somebody has given revelation/instructions on what the situation is gonna be soon at hand.

Today's revelation/instruction is... Provident Living.