When a possible false memory effects your life

I think I read about someone on this forum who had possible false memories but I couldn't find the post.  I almost quit my job today because I think I might have said something to seriously offend someone at my work 15 years prior to being employed there.i think I need a doctor to scan my brain.  

Edited by Alemmedial
Misspelling

Hi Alemmedial,  

You might have been thinking about this post?  https://thirdhour.org/forums/topic/67859-article-how-dealing-with-past-trauma-may-be-the-key-to-breaking-addiction/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-1027877

Brains can act weird sometimes.  Your post doesn't give enough information for me to have an opinion one way or the other, but if you think you're having memory issues, I don't see the problem with getting some competent medical folks to see if something is wrong.   And I'm a huge fan of destigmatizing stuff like this too.  I know far too many folks with oddly-functioning brains to look at people funny just because they might have one too.  If nothing's wrong, hooray.  If something is wrong, it's not the end of the world.

Want to share more about what's going on?  

Edited by NeuroTypical

I feel like I might have said something offensive about twelve or more years ago to a co-worker before I started working there.i only started 3 or 4 months ago.  I think they might have given me a hint but I can't be sure.  I told my manager about it but she doesn't know how to help and I also told her that I might have to quit or get transfered.  I might have said something or it might have just been an inappropriate look.  It might not have been me also. It might have been someone I was there with at the time. She said it might be because I'm working nights.  It feels like a guilty conscience.  I don't know if I posted this before but the way that I started working here is sort of interesting too.  I didn't have a job and I fasted and I had a dream of my wife's great grandmother who had passed and in the dream she told me to apply at a place like this and within a few weeks I was working there.  I've been praying alot about working at this place ever since I started and I've never been so involved in a workplace before, at least not emotionally or spiritually.  It's really messing with me.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Not being able to remember something that happened 15 years ago is not a false memory. Sometimes I don't remember things from an hour ago. Granted, my attention tends to wander...but still... Brain scan? Let's not be so dramatic.

Ok I guess I'm just hoping it's a false memory, to be completely honest.

Edited by Alemmedial
Technical repairs

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Not being able to remember something that happened 15 years ago is not a false memory. Sometimes I don't remember things from an hour ago. Granted, my attention tends to wander...but still... Brain scan? Let's not be so dramatic.

Also, your saying something probably did happen?

6 minutes ago, Alemmedial said:

Also, your saying something probably did happen?

No. I have no idea what did or did not happen. I'm saying that not remembering something from 15 years ago doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your brain.

Edit: Note: I'm also not saying there is or is not something wrong with your brain.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

35 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

No. I have no idea what did or did not happen. I'm saying that not remembering something from 15 years ago doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your brain.

Edit: Note: I'm also not saying there is or is not something wrong with your brain.

It's all good bro, I also have no idea about those things but here's some hashtags. #career suicide #dramatic #self alienating #denial #attention whore #akward af #put me out of my misery #we make our own hell #help! #save my life #my poor manager

Edited by Alemmedial
Another hashtag

If you do not know that you said something offensive then do not own the idea that you did. Guilt/shame came from the enemy. They drive us away from the Spirit. Conviction comes from God, and urges us towards Him. "Recovered memories" are notoriously inaccurate. I know of a case where a 17 year-old 'recovered' memories of her father abusing her in horrific ways. To make a nearly two-year story short, a medical exam was able to verify that no such abuse took place. She was a virgin. Her story was so convincing a church therapist got involved. Did I mention the ultimate million-dollar lawsuit? Any time I mention this to the psychologists at work they cringe--especially when I mention 'recovered memories.'

Your case may be totally different, but if the thought that you may have said something offensive is distracting you from God and job, it's probably not valid. If you really did such a thing, the Spirit would convict you, and God would heal you. Then too, at some point, if it happened the offended adult needs to confront you. Otherwise, unless you come to clearly remember the incident--with certainty--treat it as a lie from the enemy.