Married brothers on church dating sites

11 hours ago, Latter-Day Marriage said:

...should...

*snort*

I mean, don't get me wrong, of course you are correct.  LDS-based dating sites should take steps to make it worthy of LDS standards.  It's just that the site owner must decide on priorities for their for-profit dating site.    The OP's story doesn't surprise me one bit, and it serves as a cautionary tale for anyone placing themselves in the dating scene, LDS-friendly or not.

Also, if you're gay and LDS, a good place to meet other gay LDS folk, are the church-run SSA recovery groups.  You are right again - folks shouldn't use them as places to hook up.

If you're still not sufficiently educated in worldly realities, ask me what's special about a gym with a section of the locker room set aside for people over 18.

Hey, don't look at me, I just know things.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

Oh I'm quite well educated in worldly realities, but it doesn't stop me from seeing what things should be like.  From a profit motive perspective I think it would do them well to try to screen out married people to avoid a reputation that will harm them.  Of course all they could really do it ask, and people can lie, but then its on the person and not on the company behind the site.

Of course the other solution is to bring back polygamy.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 3:22 AM, Latter-Day Marriage said:

Oh I'm quite well educated in worldly realities, but it doesn't stop me from seeing what things should be like.  From a profit motive perspective I think it would do them well to try to screen out married people to avoid a reputation that will harm them. 

On 7/16/2019 at 4:16 PM, NeuroTypical said:

LDS-based dating sites should take steps to make it worthy of LDS standards.  It's just that the site owner must decide on priorities for their for-profit dating site.    The OP's story doesn't surprise me one bit, and it serves as a cautionary tale for anyone placing themselves in the dating scene, LDS-friendly or not.

Are there that many LDS dating sites that customers have a choice and can chose a rival with a better reputation?

As a single sister I feel I should be more in the know.... I am obviously limiting my dating opportunities ;) 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:43 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

Frankly, I didn’t know any state still requires the parties to appear in person on an uncontested case.  Utah certainly doesn’t . . . But I probably spoke rashly in my previous post.

I'm rather more surprised that any don't; making agreement upon the basic content of the decree a sworn statement in court seems pretty reasonable in light of the paperwork and procedure requirements for marriage. 

5 hours ago, KScience said:

Are there that many LDS dating sites that customers have a choice and can chose a rival with a better reputation?

As a single sister I feel I should be more in the know.... I am obviously limiting my dating opportunities ;) 

Honestly, I'm starting to realize that online dating is for people who can't get dates in the real world, or can't conceal how much of a creep they are in the real world. I'm having a much better dating experience not on online sites. I keep my profile active, but have just set my bio to say, "not on here much, if you see me in person dont be shy and say hi!" it's worked 🙂

23 minutes ago, dddd said:

Honestly, I'm starting to realize that online dating is for people who can't get dates in the real world, or can't conceal how much of a creep they are in the real world. I'm having a much better dating experience not on online sites. I keep my profile active, but have just set my bio to say, "not on here much, if you see me in person dont be shy and say hi!" it's worked 🙂

No, that's quite incorrect, and quite frankly I find it appalling that anyone could dismiss whole classes of people as failures or creeps, some of whom are honorable, lonely people who simply want human companionship.  Certainly the world of online dating is filled with strange and unsavory characters, but confusing the attributes of the part with the attributes of the whole is a terrible error in logic.

I belong to a huge church and know hundreds of people.  Of all the people my age (late middle age) who have married or remarried in the last few years, I'd say half met their spouses online at Christian dating sites.  There's gold in them thar hills if you pan for it diligently.

May I suggest that you change your bio to, "Online dating is for people who can't get dates in the real world, or can't conceal how much of a creep they are in the real world"?  If you're going to dismiss people with such a brutally wide brush, at least be honest about it.

Guest MormonGator
34 minutes ago, Texan said:

No, that's quite incorrect, and quite frankly I find it appalling that anyone could dismiss whole classes of people as failures or creeps, some of whom are honorable, lonely people who simply want human companionship. 

Agree, that was way off base. 

19 hours ago, Texan said:

No, that's quite incorrect, and quite frankly I find it appalling that anyone could dismiss whole classes of people as failures or creeps, some of whom are honorable, lonely people who simply want human companionship.  Certainly the world of online dating is filled with strange and unsavory characters, but confusing the attributes of the part with the attributes of the whole is a terrible error in logic.

I belong to a huge church and know hundreds of people.  Of all the people my age (late middle age) who have married or remarried in the last few years, I'd say half met their spouses online at Christian dating sites.  There's gold in them thar hills if you pan for it diligently.

May I suggest that you change your bio to, "Online dating is for people who can't get dates in the real world, or can't conceal how much of a creep they are in the real world"?  If you're going to dismiss people with such a brutally wide brush, at least be honest about it.

Ok, knowing 'hundreds' of people who have liked online dating doesn't discount the hundreds of experiences I have had Personally with online dating. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, bud. And yes, I was generalizing. Do I really think every single person online is a creep who can't get a date? No, and in fact I did even not say that! But it's true that online dating makes it easier to conceal creepiness, hence why creeps flock there. It sounds like you have no done much online dating, and are therefore unqualified to lecture me about the flaws in my perception of dating in the modern world.

19 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Agree, that was way off base. 

Yes, maybe that was off base to paint a small canvas with a broad stroke, but obviously I don't think every single person on an online site is a creep, otherwise I wouldn't be on there or keep my profile up. But it is true that online dating facilitates hiding creepy status. Seems like I really touched a nerve with this one...

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, dddd said:

Seems like I really touched a nerve with this one...

You didn't hit a nerve with me, all the women I'm currently dating I've met offline. 

Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, SilentOne said:

@MormonGator How many of your current wives did you meet through dating sites?

Don't worry, I won't tell anyone the real story of how we met. 

Edited by MormonGator