Another Video of A Nonmember Questioning Missionaries Has Gone Viral…

Here we go again. If you're not familiar with the Anti-Mormon Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint material available on the internet, just trust me when I say it's nearly infinite in reach and topic. As far as YouTube goes, one of the most-watched types of videos involves meeting up with young missionaries of the Church, typically in an effort to expose or stump them with extremely difficult questions or hostile encounters. I recently stumbled across what I presumed to be yet another of these frustrating videos. And—against my better judgment—I clicked on it. Go ahead and take a look if you would like, you may be surprised at what you find (it's pretty long so feel free to skip through some parts). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJrindD3Ng What I saw in this video was so refreshing it put a smile on my face. The interviewer, Chris LaForest, really seems to be genuinely interested in learning about the Latter-day Saint faith and the work that these young missionaries do. He asks sincere questions without sounding...

View the full article

Regardless of an individual’s [...] political affiliation, etc. they deserve to be treated with respect and love

Interesting question sparked in my mind here.

Let's say the individual is Hitler.

I don't mean like Hitler. I mean, literally...Hitler. The man himself.

Does everyone really deserve to be treated with love and respect?

Of course that's a different question than whether we should treat everyone with love and respect or not.

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Does everyone really deserve to be treated with love and respect?

One of the things that irks me about this saying is that most of those who are most wont to who say it, don’t really believe it.  They just want to make a cushy space in which their own heresies to flourish, whilst still being able to scorn and even exact retribution against “Nazis”, white supremacists, homophobes, conservatives, Republicans, etc.

2 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

One of the things that irks me about this saying is that most of those who are most wont to who say it, don’t really believe it.  They just want to make a cushy space in which their own heresies to flourish, whilst still being able to scorn and even exact retribution against “Nazis”, white supremacists, homophobes, conservatives, Republicans, etc.

I'm not assuming Erik Parry had that intention, of course. I think it's just something people say without giving it much thought. As if being a child of God is the only key to deserving love and respect. But...really? Ted Bundy? Jeffry Dahmer? Ed Gein? Stalin? Hitler? Satan? All children of God.

So...a couple missionaries just stopped by my house. We had unusually heavy rain, so I invited them to come inside. The rumors are true--they got younger. However, the one shared a rap song which summarized God's love through Jesus, the Great Apostasy, the purpose of prophets, and an encouragement to look to the BoM. I couldn't help but marvel. They are roughly 18, had to garner money (some get it from parents, but I know some work to earn portions of it), and then they have to go around and do what most of us hate more than anything--door-to-door 'cold turkey' proselyting. I shared some of my own missionary experiences, told them I'd read the BoM and didn't have a testimony about it, but that I had great respect for their hearts and work. Oh...and I didn't videotape the encounter, or post it on YouTube. 😎

Edited by prisonchaplain