Maxwell Institute Study Edition of BOM

caspianrex

I've searched, but haven't seen much discussion about the Maxwell Insitute's Study Edition of the Book of Mormon, edited by Grant Hardy. Hardy published a Reader's Edition of the BOM about 15 years ago, and I have to say, as a someone who is not a Latter-day Saint, I found it much easier to read than the standard edition published by the Church and distributed by the missionaries. Nothing wrong with that standard edition, of course. I have several different copies of that version. But I was only able to finish reading the BOM by reading Hardy's Reader's Edition. 

Well, just the other day, I got a copy of the Maxwell Institute Study Edition, and I think it's possibly even better than Hardy's Reader's Edition! This one is oriented more towards Latter-day Saints, whereas the Reader's Edition was primarily oriented towards non-LDS folks. The new(ish) MISE uses the 2013 Church edition of the text, while Hardy's earlier book used the 1920 edition, which was in the public domain. The MISE has some excellent notes, based largely on Royal Skousen's critical text work over the past couple decades, and I think that whereas it was designed to be used by LDS, it can also be a useful tool for non-LDS like myself, who want to experience the BOM in a more accessible format.

Here is a good review of the MISE, from Book of Mormon Central. I would love to hear thoughts from others who may have this edition. What do you like (or not like) about it?

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2019 at 8:49 AM, caspianrex said:

I've searched, but haven't seen much discussion about the Maxwell Insitute's Study Edition of the Book of Mormon, edited by Grant Hardy. Hardy published a Reader's Edition of the BOM about 15 years ago, and I have to say, as a someone who is not a Latter-day Saint, I found it much easier to read than the standard edition published by the Church and distributed by the missionaries. Nothing wrong with that standard edition, of course. I have several different copies of that version. But I was only able to finish reading the BOM by reading Hardy's Reader's Edition. 

Well, just the other day, I got a copy of the Maxwell Institute Study Edition, and I think it's possibly even better than Hardy's Reader's Edition! This one is oriented more towards Latter-day Saints, whereas the Reader's Edition was primarily oriented towards non-LDS folks. The new(ish) MISE uses the 2013 Church edition of the text, while Hardy's earlier book used the 1920 edition, which was in the public domain. The MISE has some excellent notes, based largely on Royal Skousen's critical text work over the past couple decades, and I think that whereas it was designed to be used by LDS, it can also be a useful tool for non-LDS like myself, who want to experience the BOM in a more accessible format.

Here is a good review of the MISE, from Book of Mormon Central. I would love to hear thoughts from others who may have this edition. What do you like (or not like) about it?

I see no one has responded yet.  So I thought I'd look into this.

TBH, I had never heard of this edition before.  I've read up a little and here are my initial thoughts:

1. We have to separate out the study of the scriptures for spiritual purposes vs. secular purposes.

2. For spiritual purposes, I'm not really seeing much benefit.  There may be the occasional verse with a word here or there that is clarified and so forth.  But for the most part, not really worth shelling out $35 for it.

3. For secular purposes, I can see why it would be a nice curiosity.  I'll have to think about whether I'd want to buy one.

I have it, and while I don’t quite understand the effusive praises heaped upon it from academic types—I have found it a useful tool in my scripture study.  The official BOM edition has so many footnotes that it kind of becomes overkill, and it’s easy to tune them out entirely.  In my experience the notes in the MI edition have tended to either highlight differences between the original MSS/printer’s MSS/modern edition (which as a bit of a pedant, I find fascinating), or else highlight the places where BoM authors are drawing on the Old Testament.  My use of the MI edition has reiterated to me just how scripturally-literate the BoM authors were and how certain OT themes dominated their own thinking.

This probably isn’t The One LDS-oriented book to buy this year.  But if you’re in the habit of buying a new LDS-oriented book every month or two anyways—I’d say this would be a useful addition to your library.