Anyone else disenchanted with The Wm’s Soccer captain?

carlimac

Guest Mores
1 hour ago, NightSG said:

I said do the race, not win the race. Just finishing within the time limits (usually 2:15 total, with 30 minutes for the swim and an hour for the bike) qualifies. So far, every tri I've seen gives a finisher medal to everyone who manages that, in addition to any place medals or trophies. 

Just finishing is more of an athletic achievement than 95% of people will ever even attempt. 

You called it a "sprint".

21 hours ago, NightSG said:

A sprint (half mile swim, 12.5 mile bike, 3 mile run) really should be doable for anyone without legitimate mobility issues

That's what I was referring to.

27 minutes ago, Mores said:

You called it a "sprint".

Because that's the official designation for a triathlon that length.  Half-Olympic is sometimes used if the main event for the day is an Olympic distance tri, but USAT and others call it a sprint. 

Edited by NightSG

2 hours ago, JGarcia said:

I don't want to offend Americans and I kind of view myself as American anyway. But that women's US team had no respect for their opponents or the game of football. I don't like any of the players 

Not all of them were disrespectful.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, anatess2 said:

Not all of them were disrespectful to the country.  But all of them were disrespectful in soccer culture sportsmanship as is displayed in their match against Thailand.

I would think that is a coaching call also. Most coaches would have pulled star players and played others for experience when you go up 5 goals. It is hard enough in soccer to come back from a three goal lead. Looks like the coach and team wanted to make a statement.

3 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

I would think that is a coaching call also. Most coaches would have pulled star players and played others for experience when you go up 5 goals. It is hard enough in soccer to come back from a three goal lead. Looks like the coach and team wanted to make a statement.

Rapinoe et. al.'s attitude ON the field, including the disrespect to the anthem, has to do with the entire team leadership including the coach. 

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

Slightly off topic, but I remember going to a college baseball game this year where the Gators played Winthrop college, a small college in South Carolina. The Gators were leading 25-4 by the 5th inning. I was a little uncomfortable. Grown men/women playing professional sports? Go home and cry on your paychecks. College kids? Slightly different story. I remember texting @mirkwood about it while I was there. 

Edited by MormonGator

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Slightly off topic, but I remember going to a college baseball game this year where the Gators played Winthrop college, a small college in South Carolina. The Gators were leading 25-4 by the 5th inning. I was a little uncomfortable. Grown men/women playing professional sports? Go home and cry on your paychecks. College kids? Slightly different story. I remember texting @mirkwood about it while I was there. 

I remember that text.

On 7/17/2019 at 11:29 AM, anatess2 said:

Without paid athletes, you can't really get that super high level of athleticism because to get there, you have to be working on your craft full time leaving you no room for other gainful employment. 

Well, the way some sports' governing bodies like to ban things as unfair to those who choose not to do them, it can't be long before practice makes that list.

• 1 month later...

And just to resurrect the thread for a personal brag, I managed 5k in under 45 minutes last night for the first time since the early 90s. Looks like I'm on track to be ready for next year's triathlon season. With a little luck, I might even be in shape to try Olympic distance.

And while my hip isn't happy about it, that's manageable, and my knees, which were the limiting factor all this time, aren't even sore.  

Edited by NightSG

22 hours ago, NightSG said:

And just to resurrect the thread for a personal brag, I managed 5k in under 45 minutes last night for the first time since the early 90s. Looks like I'm on track to be ready for next year's triathlon season. With a little luck, I might even be in shape to try Olympic distance.

And while my hip isn't happy about it, that's manageable, and my knees, which were the limiting factor all this time, aren't even sore.  

And there's the Iron Man.

Congrats NightSG!  That's awesome.