Polygamy Porter

Guest Scott

Guest Scott

I really don't know what to say about this.   

Thoughts?  

Polygamy and beer reportedly don’t mix in North Carolina.

A polygamy-themed beer was rejected for sale in North Carolina because “polygamy is illegal.” The beer in question is already being sold in at least 20 other states, including Utah.

Utah based Wasatch Brewery recently filed a request to sell their Polygamy Porter in North Carolina, Fox 13 reports. While the brewery already sells a variety of beers in the state, it was determined that Polygamy Porter “represents something illegal.”

In a statement to Fox 13, the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission said, “The NC ABC always gives thoughtful consideration to each label and uses the criteria outlined in the statutes as the basis for every rejection or approval.” They also claim that according to their statutes, “representing something illegal is undignified and in bad taste.”

When the brewery received the rejection letter, they were shocked. “It caught us quite by surprise, we were not expecting it especially because we’ve been making this beer now for 18 years,” Wasatch Brewery Co-Chief Operating Officer and brewmaster Jon Lee told Fox 13. “Of any places that you’d think we’d have trouble with, it would be here in our home state, but no it just sails right on through.”

Rest of story:

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/north-carolina-rejects-polygamy-beer

My thoughts:

I have little interest in the outcome of Babylon Team A vs. Babylon Team B. I see NC's actions as more dangerous to a free society, but there is absolutely no love lost between me and those who make "Polygamy Porter". I just can't work up much outrage for either position. They can (and will) both go to hell*.

*Barring repentance, of course.

Guest Scott
4 minutes ago, Mores said:

I guess I misunderstood.  My response to the title was "I never knew Porter Rockwell was ever married, much less to multiple wives."

I know they're making fun of Utah, but I have to admit that their slogan of "Why Have Just One" is pretty clever.  

Guest Godless

Wow. I never would have guessed that NCABC would ever upstage Utah and Texas in prudishness.

In general, it's rare for beer labels to be rejected on the state level since they require TTB approval first. NC picked a weird thing to nitpick on.

50 minutes ago, Scott said:

You can still marry your cousin there though.

First cousins can marry in nineteen U.S. states, including California, New York, and many other blue states.  Seven other states allow it under some conditions, usually if the partners are old or infertile, or in one case (Maine) if the couple can provide proof of genetic counseling.  North Carolina does not allow marriages between double first cousins.  In my whole life I've met only one set of double first cousins.  They claimed it was a lot of fun because all the cousins had the same grandparents.

I did not know these facts until a few minutes ago.  Many years ago I knew a guy who always wore a T-shirt that said "Polygamy Porter" on it, and I could not for the life of me understand what it meant.  Wikipedia had no English-language entry on Polygamy Porter (only a German one, curiously), but it had lots of trivia about cousin-marriage laws across the United States.  I was surprised by what I learned.

Guest Scott
2 hours ago, Texan said:

First cousins can marry in nineteen U.S. states, including California, New York, and many other blue states. 

Here is a map:

cousins_042505.gif

Guest Scott
2 hours ago, Texan said:

Many years ago I knew a guy who always wore a T-shirt that said "Polygamy Porter" on it, and I could not for the life of me understand what it meant.  Wikipedia had no English-language entry on Polygamy Porter (only a German one, curiously), but it had lots of trivia about cousin-marriage laws across the United States.  I was surprised by what I learned.

I don't drink beer (obviously), but Polygamy Porter is big in the tourist places in Utah such as Moab or Springdale (entrance to Zion National Park).   

I don't see it much outside those areas, but then again, I don't really look for it.

Edited by Scott