Did STRANGER THINGS Insult Latter-day Saints?

Opinion MILD “STRANGER THINGS” SEASON 3 SPOILERS Season 3 of “Stranger Things” opens with Dustin returning to his friends in Hawkins, Indiana, from Camp Knowhere science camp.  He pulls his friends together to climb to the tallest hill in town and set up a radio tower so that he can talk to “Suzie” the girlfriend he made at camp who lives in Utah. As they hike they begin discussing why they need to set up a radio tower. Max: I’m pretty sure people in Utah have telephones. Dustin: Yeah, but Suzie’s Mormon. Lucas: She doesn’t have electricity? Max: Oh, that’s the Amish. Will: What are Mormons? Dustin: Super religious white people. They have electricity and cars and stuff, but since I’m not Mormon, her parents would never approve. Suzie is discussed regularly throughout the season as the smartest person Dustin knows. While other characters debate whether or not she is real.  But does this amount to insulting Latter-day Saints? Not even close. Suzie ends up appearing in one scene in the final episode of the season.    The camera lingers over her room, and...

View the full article

Suzie and Dusty's scene is THE BEST SCENE in that entire Season.  Nay, in the entire franchise.  The very positive response to her one scene is sure going to put her character in consideration for Season 4.

(Just a teeny factoid:  Gaten Matarazzo who plays Dusty was Gavroche in the Broadway Les Miserables when he was 10.  He left the show when his voice started to change.  Gabrielle Pizzolo who plays Suzie is in Broadway's Matilda the Musical).

Warning:  Middle school kids bad language.

14 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Suzie and Dusty's scene is THE BEST SCENE in that entire Season.  Nay, in the entire franchise.  The very positive response to her one scene is sure going to put her character in consideration for Season 4.

(Just a teeny factoid:  Gaten Matarazzo who plays Dusty was Gavroche in the Broadway Les Miserables when he was 10.  He left the show when his voice started to change.  Gabrielle Pizzolo who plays Suzie is in Broadway's Matilda the Musical).

Warning:  Middle school kids bad language.

UGH! Singing in a can.

Guest Mores

Would I be considered Amish because I have no idea what "Stranger Things" is other than a TV show.  It is a TV series rather than a movie, right?  Right?

Guest Godless
58 minutes ago, Mores said:

Would I be considered Amish because I have no idea what "Stranger Things" is other than a TV show.  It is a TV series rather than a movie, right?  Right?

It's a Netflix sci-fi series that centers on a bunch of kids in an 80s rural America setting. It's pretty good.

22 hours ago, Mores said:

21 hours ago, Godless said:

It's a Netflix sci-fi series that centers on a bunch of kids in an 80s rural America setting. It's pretty good.

Dude, you can't forget to mention... it's not just a bunch of kids.  It's a bunch of Nerds.  They play D&D, talk over their ham radios, have a supernatural powered friend, and fight demogorgans from another dimension.  :)

*sigh*

Demogorgon.  Singular.  He is a single demon/deity not plural.  If you're gonna geek, geek it correctly.  Sheeeshhh...(been playing since 1977).

13e72aacbd57916de3840140410980b7-data-qu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogorgon_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Edited by mirkwood

5 hours ago, mirkwood said:

*sigh*

Demogorgon.  Singular.  He is a single demon/deity not plural.  If you're gonna geek, geek it correctly.  Sheeeshhh...(been playing since 1977).

13e72aacbd57916de3840140410980b7-data-qu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogorgon_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

GEEK???  Really?  Geek?  Pffft!  Geeks want to be Nerds but are just not smart enough.

:)

Edited by mirkwood

5 hours ago, unixknight said:

The article seems to be making an excuse for them remarking that it's "White people" as if this were an honest effort at historical awareness.  C'mon.  It's 2019.  That wasn't about being accurate in a positive way.  In 2019, that's just a lefty term for "racists."

I was proud when I saw the young Saint on Stranger things. Smart, sassy and smart!

Edited by Sunday21

On 7/17/2019 at 3:05 PM, unixknight said:

The article seems to be making an excuse for them remarking that it's "White people" as if this were an honest effort at historical awareness.  C'mon.  It's 2019.  That wasn't about being accurate in a positive way.  In 2019, that's just a lefty term for "racists."

Stranger Things is set in the '80s.

M.

2 minutes ago, Maureen said:

So? The show is still set in the 80s. What was the demographics of your Church at that time?

M.

It doesn't matter.  In the '80s, would a group of kids have specifically mentioned it being mostly white people?  No.  That's a 21st century lefty race obsessed phenomenon.

3 minutes ago, unixknight said:

It doesn't matter.  In the '80s, would a group of kids have specifically mentioned it being mostly white people?  No.  That's a 21st century lefty race obsessed phenomenon.

Canadians are frequently described as ‘mostly white people’. they mean that we are boring. Can’t dance, no style, can’t cook, can’t jump.

Went to a restaurant described as ‘traditional and mostly white people’ in Ottawa. The description fit like a glove. All the customers were old white people. Like something out of the last days of the RAJ. Pukka Shabih? @MormonGator would know the term. Fine linen tablecloths, fine china and cutlery and very very over cooked food. Surely being referred to as ‘mostly white people’ cannot be an insult more a gentle pulling of the leg. 

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Surely being referred to as ‘mostly white people’ cannot be an insult more a gentle pulling of the leg. 

Yup. Anyone whining about this has no right to call others "snowflakes"! 

29 minutes ago, unixknight said:

Quite true.  My dad's generation was still running the show in the '80's, and my dad was still openly ticked off that they let blacks fight in WWII.  And ticked off they let women into the workforce while he was off fighting.  

He died before they let women into the military - but I'm pretty sure I heard him roll over in his grave and swear when the news came out.

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Quite true.  My dad's generation was still running the show in the '80's, and my dad was still openly ticked off that they let blacks fight in WWII.  And ticked off they let women into the workforce while he was off fighting.  

This proves a point. You can complain about huge social changes and be disgusted by them-but they are going to happen and younger generations are going to view them as normal , and perhaps view your complaining about them as discomforting/distressing/and even bigoted. 

That's not an insult to your dad, I'm sure my grandpa felt the same way. He was also a WWII vet. 

Edited by MormonGator

Yep, my dad was very much a product of his times.  He lived to see America accept things he never accepted.  Won the battle against global oppression, lost the battle to keep women in the kitchen.  One of the last great male chauvenist pigs.  He reveled in the title.  

Edited by NeuroTypical