You’re doing it wrong

mikbone

4C903CB5-E859-4EC8-9888-32AE9F10E0AA.jpeg.e007a556389a976d5b41a1ee70797f2d.jpeg

I had a interesting confluence of concepts yesterday.

1) If you have Netflix, watch Michael Pollan’s show Cooked, episode 3 (air).  It is a wonderful study and explanation about bread and evil gluten.   The following are youtube links to previews

2) Elder’s quorum discussion on Holland’s wonderful GC talk.  

https://www.lds.org/study/ensign/2019/05/28holland

3)  The Sacrament

4)  Come Follow Me

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/341_CDCFactSheets8_FactsFigures.pdf

Edited by mikbone

Ice-Cream -- actually the majority ice-creams do have gluten -- how do I know? My son can't eat them because of gluten in them. We have found only one ice-cream that is certified safe for my son.

And for my son gluten is evil.

Edited by Anddenex

Guest Mores
2 hours ago, Anddenex said:

Ice-Cream -- actually the majority ice-creams do have gluten -- how do I know? My son can't eat them because of gluten in them. We have found only one ice-cream that is certified safe for my son.

Apparently, several brands specifically have some gluten free lines.

https://glutenintoleranceschool.com/is-ice-cream-gluten-free/

8 hours ago, Anddenex said:

It's  a pain where gluten is hidden.  My son can't have wheat. It makes things ao hard at times.

20 hours ago, LadyGunnar said:

It's  a pain where gluten is hidden.  My son can't have wheat. It makes things ao hard at times.

Yep. My son is celiac, and we are still trying to figure out all the items he used to eat that he can't.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:45 AM, Mores said:

Apparently, several brands specifically have some gluten free lines.

https://glutenintoleranceschool.com/is-ice-cream-gluten-free/

True; although, gluten free and celiac certified aren't the same thing. Celiac certified truly means (at least should be, recognizing human error) gluten free. Gluten free might be made in the same place where other products with wheat are made, which results in cross-contamination of gluten even in "gluten free" items.

Thus far, we have only found one brand and one flavor that doesn't have gluten in it (celiac certified, or at least reports specify that it is celiac safe).

I will have to send this link to Ms. Anddenex and see if the list of ice-creams my son can have has increased. :)

Edited by Anddenex

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, a fact sheet that is 14 years old. 

Here is another random article, pulled up in 2 seconds; "

January 31, 2017

Prevalence of Celiac Disease in the U.S. Appears to Have Plateaued

Bruce Soloway, MD reviewing Choung RS et al. Mayo Clin Proc 2017 Jan

But interest in gluten-free diets continues to grow.

Increasing numbers of people in the U.S., many without diagnosed celiac disease, avoid dietary gluten. To assess trends in the prevalences of diagnosed and undiagnosed celiac disease and to determine how many people without celiac disease avoid gluten, researchers analyzed data from recent CDC National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (NHANES). Between 2009 and 2014, respondents were asked if they had diagnosed celiac disease or if they followed a gluten-free diet; serum samples were analyzed with a highly sensitive and specific two-stage IgA assay for evidence of celiac disease.

Prevalence of historical or serological celiac disease was 0.7%: 1.0% in non-Hispanic whites and 0.2% in others. Celiac disease was more common in women than in men (0.9% vs. 0.5%) and equally prevalent in children and adults. Overall prevalence of celiac disease did not change during the three biennial study periods, but the prevalence of undiagnosed celiac disease decreased from 0.6% in 2009–2010 to 0.3% in 2013–2014. The prevalence of people without celiac disease who avoid gluten increased from 0.5% in 2009–2010 to 1.7% in 2013–2014, with a greater overall prevalence among women than men (1.4% vs. 0.8%)."

Interesting how the prevalence of the number of people that avoid gluten has increased even though the prevalence of Celiac disease hasn't increased.

(not sure why this is an LDS gospel discussion)

On 7/30/2019 at 9:28 AM, Fifthziff said:

(not sure why this is an LDS gospel discussion)

Ahh, thank you.

The bread that we currently consume is highly processed and enriched.  The video even discussed how wonder bread is made out of a pudding instead of a dough...

Perhaps the problems with gluten is not the wheat, but how we process and consume it.

What if wheat was designed to be ground whole and then processed via sourdough fermentation?  

What if we are not designed to eat wonder bread and twinkies? 

I noticed a similarity to the come follow me program.  Maybe we should personally be studying the scriptures instead of having the gospel spoon fed to us by Sunday School and passively listening to general conference talks.

Reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons when Homer is recovering in the hospital and is upset because his roommate is being passively fed via a feeding tube and he has to eat his food "like a dummy".

I can't even purchase a decent loaf of bread in my hometown.  Sometimes I wish that we (USA) had some of the food regulations of the French.  They appreciate a good loaf of bread and cheese.  

Edited by mikbone