Church Quote... can't find it? Help please.

NeedleinA

Giving a talk on Sunday. I can recall, perhaps in a general conference talk in recent years, something about...

"it is fine that a man might be the scriptorian at home, but it is better that the woman is actually a follower of Christ"
or
"don't let dad master the scriptures and mom be the only one following the example of the Savior"

Something like this?? Anyone recall this quote?
THANK YOU in advance!

I found these two here:

• It is fine that a man might be the scriptorian at home, but it is better that the woman is actually a follower of Christ.
  • Don't let dad master the scriptures and mom be the only one following the example of the Savior.

Hope that helps. Be sure to provide your citation!

Guest Mores
40 minutes ago, Vort said:

I found these two here:

• It is fine that a man might be the scriptorian at home, but it is better that the woman is actually a follower of Christ.
  • Don't let dad master the scriptures and mom be the only one following the example of the Savior.

Hope that helps. Be sure to provide your citation!

Why do I get the impression that you do this a lot?

Guest Mores
1 hour ago, NeedleinA said:

Giving a talk on Sunday. I can recall, perhaps in a general conference talk in recent years, something about...

"it is fine that a man might be the scriptorian at home, but it is better that the woman is actually a follower of Christ"
or
"don't let dad master the scriptures and mom be the only one following the example of the Savior"

THANK YOU in advance!

You may be referring to 
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/marriage-and-family-relations-participants-study-guide/part-b-parents-responsibilities-to-strengthen-families/lesson-14-teaching-gospel-principles-to-children-part-2?lang=eng

President Grant Bangerter was having a doctrinal conversation with President Joseph Fielding Smith, who was touring his mission in Brazil. Sister Bangerter listened and finally said, “President Smith, I have been raising children and haven’t had time to become a scriptorian like he is. Will I get to the celestial kingdom with Grant?”

President Smith pondered soberly for a moment and then said, “Well, perhaps if you bake him a pie.”

A man will be hard pressed to equal that measure of spiritual refinement that accrues naturally to his wife as she teaches their children. And if he understands the gospel at all, he knows that he cannot be exalted without her.19 His best hope is to lead out as an attentive, responsible partner in teaching their children.

Quite different wording.  The underlying message is somewhat parallel.  But the bald face meaning is not nearly what the paraphrasing (that you offered) would lend itself to.

Edited by Mores

or

THANK YOU in advance!

Hey I think I found it. It was given by President Spencer W. Kimball at a fireside in 1979. You can find the whole talk in the Novemeber 1979 ensign in the Gospel Library under the title "The role of righteous women"

Here is the excerpt I think you are thinking of: "Even though the eternal roles of men and women differ, as we indicated to you a year ago, this leaves much to be done by way of parallel personal development —for both men and women. In this connection, I stress again the deep need each woman has to study the scriptures. We want our homes to be blessed with sister scriptorians —whether you are single or married, young or old, widowed or living in a family."

or

THANK YOU in advance!

Also possibly the July 1980 New Era. President Kimball again:

"We say to you, as we recently said to the adult sisters in the Church, that the Lord is delighted when we have sisters in the Church who are good scriptorians."

19 minutes ago, Vort said:

"Scriptorian" is a funny word. I don't believe it even exists outside an LDS context, though its meaning is plain enough.

Never heard of it before being LDS.  At first I thought it meant - people who are still well-versed in the lost art of handwriting.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the efforts and humor.
I've come to the conclusion now that the quote, phrase must have been given to us by a GA in a stake or regional setting instead, which explains why it is not readily coming up in online searches.

Thank you again!

Edited by NeedleinA