MrShorty

"It's time Christians started including Latter-day Saints"

Another two big thing to mention here--

1)   LDS Christians don't really have the phrase "in communion with" -- we acknowledge other Christians as being Christian, but object to another-denomination Christian leading Sacrament Meeting and acknowledge differences in doctrine as being important with a correct/incorrect answer.  An LDS Christian is a special Christian-- an 'upgraded' type, so to say. 

Catholics are fairly similar in that regard.

But if you're coming from a Protestant standpoint (especially a non-liturgical one or "just a Christian" one), they don't have that sub-set mindset.  To be acknowledged as a Christian is commonly to be in communion with-- theoretically your answers are just as valid and you could just as well lead Sunday Services and teach your beliefs from the pulpit.  And that's terrifying!  Because LDS Christians aren't Baptist Christians.  Or Methodist Christians, etc.  It's a MUCH scarier step for them to open that door than us.

2) Also from an LDS Christian standpoint, the word "Christian" doesn't equate that person being automatically saved (or not, given post-mortal missionary work).  Other denominations will link the two directly, hence putting more pressure on them to be picky on who's called what. 

18 hours ago, Mores said:

You're talking to the guy who came to an LDS board, claims to be LDS, and declared that "faith in Christ" is not required for exaltation.  I don't know what world he comes from.

Indeed...  People seem to be missing the fact that declaring (aka preaching) Christ is an action.  I am use to it when I discuss Faith vs Works with non members having to tell them that "Accepting Christ" is a "Work" and a very important important piece of evidence of ones Christianity or lack thereof, but I find it surprising that I seem to have to explicitly tell people here.

The very first step for filtering Christians has to be "Do they accept Christ?"  People who do not clearly have no desire to be considered as such and should be respected.

It is after that important self selection that I think actions speak louder and are more important then word or dogma.  The scriptures say "Who knows the master whom they have not served?" and "By there fruits you shall know them."  Not "Do they believe in the Trinity or the Godhead?"

1 hour ago, estradling75 said:

It is after that important self selection that I think actions speak louder and are more important then word or dogma.  The scriptures say "Who knows the master whom they have not served?" and "By there fruits you shall know them."  Not "Do they believe in the Trinity or the Godhead?"

Here's a story about someone who had "strange ideas and beliefs" but was actually a good example of a Saint.  May we all strive to be that person.

Mainstream Christians may consider us weird.  But mainstream culture (including all Christians) tend to have a good impression of us generally (53% positive). 

So, perhaps they find our doctrines and beliefs annoying.  But they tend to think of us more favorably as Christ-like than they think of us as Christian.  Unfortunately, some of this "Mormons are so nice" meme is often tainted by those who believe we have an ulterior motive (conversion).

One problem I have always had with those that believe that the Trinity is a litmus test is that it goes directly against what I read in the Bible.  The Lord never said...unless you believe in the Trinity and come unto me, you shall be saved...ever.

The basic message is to believe in Christ, to believe he is God, and to believe he can and has saved you from sin.  Then, you need to follow him and his commandments.

It never says you have to have an intricate knowledge and understanding of who he is, his background, and relationship to everything else. 

You acknowledge him and that you are his follower and follow him.  That can be interpreted in many different ways, but in the end, you simply take on his name and follow his commandments and as per the Bible, you'd be a Christian.

Thus, this twisting of his words seems to be counter to the entire Christian scatology that many Christian denominations claim to follow.  Instead, it seems more like they are eschewing the Biblical statement to avoid judging (lest they be judged with the same judgment...especially at judgment day) and making their OWN call on who is or is not Christian.  A very scary position to take I would think.

I would say we may be the Church, and the only and true one (as we claim)...HOWEVER...I would say that any who accept Christ and consider themselves Christian and follow his commandments and teachings are Christian.  It does not matter the denomination and it does not matter how much more than that they know or do not know.  If they do their best to follow what they know of his teachings because they believe in him...they are Christian.

It seems sad that there are those out there that do NOT follow the Bible on this, even as they claim to believe in the Bible or to follow it as their authority.

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

One problem I have always had with those that believe that the Trinity is a litmus test is that it goes directly against what I read in the Bible.  The Lord never said...unless you believe in the Trinity and come unto me, you shall be saved...ever.

pcvss.jpg