Lamb of God

dschets15

Hey Board Members! 

I'm new to the board as of today, both discovery and joining. I was excited to find a popular forum that seems to have a lot of good topics discussed regularly. As someone who has many questions, but not a lot of answers I am grateful for many resources that help me, along with the spirit, to find answers. 

As I was studying the topical guide, specifically "Jesus Christ---Lamb of God" today I was struck by how most of the references come from 1 Nephi 13 and 14 which is Nephi's vision. I was curious to see what your guys/gals thoughts were on why that is the case. In the Bible Christ is referenced as the Lamb of God quite a bit, but in the Book of Mormon it seems like mostly in Nephi. Any thoughts? Also any thoughts on that title of the Savior and why it is important? 

Look forward to hearing your responses! Thanks! 

14 hours ago, dschets15 said:

Hey Board Members! 

I'm new to the board as of today, both discovery and joining. I was excited to find a popular forum that seems to have a lot of good topics discussed regularly. As someone who has many questions, but not a lot of answers I am grateful for many resources that help me, along with the spirit, to find answers. 

As I was studying the topical guide, specifically "Jesus Christ---Lamb of God" today I was struck by how most of the references come from 1 Nephi 13 and 14 which is Nephi's vision. I was curious to see what your guys/gals thoughts were on why that is the case. In the Bible Christ is referenced as the Lamb of God quite a bit, but in the Book of Mormon it seems like mostly in Nephi. Any thoughts? Also any thoughts on that title of the Savior and why it is important? 

During the years Lehi and his entourage wandered in the wilderness of the Middle East, before their arrival in the American promised land, the Book of Mormon tells us they often built alters unto the Lord and thereon regularly offered sacrifices and burnt offerings unto God in the similitude of the infinite and eternal atoning sacrifice of the Son of God. The powerful image of innocent lambs often being slain by blood sacrifice in accordance with the Law of Moses, which law the Lehites were obliged to obey, undoubtedly made a deep and powerful impression upon Nephi’s soul, heart and mind, and so the angel was simply drawing on powerful symbolic imagery of the atonement of Christ with which Nephi was already very well aquainted.

Edited by Jersey Boy

22 hours ago, dschets15 said:

Hey Board Members! 

I assume it is possible the search function on the Church's website is off a bit; although, I am only able to find two references in the New Testament that specify "Lamb of God." In the Book of Mormon I am able to find 33 (the majority of them coming from Nephi). It appears from this the Bible doesn't reference the title "Lamb of God" as much as stated. The "Lamb of God" is used much more in the Book of Mormon. What passages am I missing in the Bible (Old or New) that reference Christ as the Lamb of God?

Savior = He saved us, so that seems to be a logical name for -- the God -- who saves, not just any ordinary man.

Here are the thoughts your question causes me to entertain:

1) How often do I use the term "the Lamb of God" in comparison to other titles given to Christ, our Savior?

If I were to review mine own words the "Lamb of God" is not one commonly used unless I am specifically referring a metaphor or story that the "Lamb of God" would be the appropriate title (in comparison and relation to Savior, Messiah, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Son of man, and many others).

2) When you say "referenced" what exactly are you meaning?

If I use the title "Messiah" I am obviously referring to the "Lamb of God." If I use the title Savior I am obviously also referencing the "Lamb of God" who saved us by his grace.

3) What value does one title have over the other titles Jesus Christ is referenced as? Is there any value using Savior over Lamb of God or vice-versa?

I don't see any value added to one title over the other. I do see how one title might be more appropriate in a given metaphor, analogy, or story pertaining to our Savior, the Lamb of God, the only begotten of the Father. Out of those three references is one more important than the other?

Edited by Anddenex

17 hours ago, Anddenex said:

I assume it is possible the search function on the Church's website is off a bit; although, I am only able to find two references in the New Testament that specify "Lamb of God." In the Book of Mormon I am able to find 33 (the majority of them coming from Nephi). It appears from this the Bible doesn't reference the title "Lamb of God" as much as stated.

I saw the same when I searched. You can broaden your search by removing the quotes and you'll see several allusion to Christ as Lamb. What I think is worth noting is that in the Book of Mormon (as already observed) Nephi uses the term the most, while in the Bible it's his literary doppleganger John (in both his Revelation and his gospel - parallels to Nephi's vision).

Joseph Smith was very clever.

Guest Mores
22 hours ago, Anddenex said:

I assume it is possible the search function

2) When you say "referenced" what exactly are you meaning?

4 hours ago, mordorbund said:

I saw the same when I searched.

The OP mentioned the Topical Guide:

Jesus Christ, Lamb of God:

he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, Isa. 53:7 (Mosiah 14:7).

Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin, John 1:29 (Alma 7:14).

blood of Christ, as of a lambwithout blemish, 1 Pet. 1:19.

stood a Lamb as it had been slain, Rev. 5:6.

Worthy is the Lamb that was slain, Rev. 5:12.

robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb, Rev. 7:14 (1 Ne. 12:11; Alma 13:11; Ether 13:11).

they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, Rev. 12:11.

Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, Rev. 13:8(Moses 7:47).

a Lamb stood on the mount, Rev. 14:1 (D&C 133:18).

war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome, Rev. 17:14.

marriage of the Lamb is come, Rev. 19:7.

called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb, Rev. 19:9 (D&C 58:11; 65:3).

Lamb is the light thereof, Rev. 21:23.

throne of God and of the Lambshall be in it, Rev. 22:3.

Total of 14 references in the Bible.  All but two are from John (Gospel and Revelation).

he had baptized the Lamb of God, 1 Ne. 10:10 (2 Ne. 31:4).

angel said … Behold the Lamb of God, 1 Ne. 11:21.

Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, 1 Ne. 13:40.

hearken unto the Lamb of God, 1 Ne. 14:1.

followers of God and the Lamb, Hel. 6:5.

cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, Morm. 9:6.

Total of six references in the BoM with four of them from Nephi.

Lord, even Christ the Lamb, D&C 76:85 (76:21, 39, 119).

Lamb of God hath overcome and trodden, D&C 88:106.

singing Hosanna to God and the Lamb, D&C 109:79.

sing the song of the Lamb, D&C 133:56.

D&C four references.

So, the search string may appear more in the BoM.  But those "references" found in the topical guide result in another distribution.  I do find that to be interesting.

Edited by Mores

2 hours ago, Mores said:

The OP mentioned the Topical Guide:

Total of 14 references in the Bible.  All but two are from John (Gospel and Revelation).

Total of six references in the BoM with four of them from Nephi.

D&C four references.

So, the search string may appear more in the BoM.  But those "references" found in the topical guide result in another distribution.  I do find that to be interesting.

That distribution aligns with what I described. Were you trying to draw a contrast?

On 7/16/2019 at 4:10 PM, dschets15 said:

Hey Board Members! 

I think it is important to note that the Nephits did not have domestic sheep in the Americas.   Nephi would have knowledge of sheep from his experiences in and around Jerusalem which would account for his reference in 1Nephi. 

The Traveler

Guest Mores
On 7/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, mordorbund said:

That distribution aligns with what I described. Were you trying to draw a contrast?

This was in the background of @Anddenex's question about "referenced".

As far as your earlier post, I missed a single phrase in your post -- which caused me to draw a contrast.  But since time has passed, I was forced to revisit your post, and I noticed the phrase I missed before.  Now I realize that there was no contrast after all.

Edited by Mores