I Asked a Pastor If He And I Could Ever Be Friends. Here’s What He Said.

I want to have more non-member friends. But I'm nervous I might offend them when I invite them to read the Book of Mormon or be baptized. That's right, I said 'when.' I can't imagine myself not inviting someone I care about to receive what I believe to be the highest source of joy possible. This leads to potential problems; what if I become friends with someone who will never convert? To explore this situation I sought out someone who I knew believed differently from me and was very unlikely to accept my invitation to be baptized. A Pastor.  Pastor Logan Let me start by saying I think Pastor Logan is a good man. He lives behind enemy lines as it were, running several congregations throughout the state of Utah. When asked about the nature of friendships he was quick to point out the biblical foundation for fellowship and camaraderie. “The Savior said to follow Him, and as people follow Him they fall into the congregation of people walking in His footsteps.”  Pastor...

View the full article

Advanced issues found

I think this is the basis for actual friendship. Those who we are willing to pray for are probably our real friends. Those for whom we importune our God for blessings are connected to us the most real way possible.

Who can I be friends with? Anyone I am willing to pray for.

It is not uncommon for me to pray for people I see on the bus or the side of the road, whose names I never get, and who I will likely never see again. Does this make them my real friends? What about the guy who I intended to try to get to know on more than a superficial level, but my shyness kept getting the better of me until he got a new job and I haven't seen him since, though I did pray for his success at said new job?

My wife had a friend.  One day she found out we were Mormon, and she actually ducked her head and took some steps backwards as if she expected us to attack her or something.  My wife didn't know what to make of it.  Anyway, friend also did petsitting and was taking care of our dogs.  When we got back, friend was very nervous - apparently one of our dogs had gotten out and run around the neighborhood for a few hours, before finally getting caught.  Friend was worried we'd be mad.  My wife got a very serious look on her face, and said "Well, I'm glad you caught her, because it's against our religion for you to lose our dog."  The friend looked sad and anxious for a full three seconds - then it finally dawned on her and she finally laughed and relaxed. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

I have a good Methodist friend.  We speak often of faith, such as this last weekend where we talked about my sister's recent sealing and my Methodist friend asked me for a copy of "The Friend" to read to her little girl.  We also spoke about the funeral she's helping out at her church today, how the youth group she's teaching is doing, etc.  We both respect each other, and love the same.

If I could only have member friends I wouldn't have very many. It's not difficult, you find individuals with similar interests who are good people. Heck my best friend is a fundamentalist Baptist minister, he's hardcore trust me, and we get along great. As long as you mutually respect one another, and don't try to befriend people for the sole sake of conversion you'll be fine and you'll have lots of opportunities to share your beliefs. 

Edited by Midwest LDS

If I could only have member friends, I would be scuppered.  We have very small congregations here in the UK and just because you share some of the same beliefs and values, does not mean you will necessarily have much in common.

Here in the UK finding anyone of ANY faith is hard enough with between 42-52% (depending on poll) stating they have no religious affiliation. Only 20% of the population report praying regularly...........  So we are a very peculiar people in this land!! 

Having friends to discuss matters of faith with is not something that happens easily and something we should all cherish

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, KScience said:

If I could only have member friends, I would be scuppered.  We have very small congregations here in the UK and just because you share some of the same beliefs and values, does not mean you will necessarily have much in common.\

PREACH. When you have nothing in common with your ward, you better have non member friends or else you'll be very lonely. 

3 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Heck my best friend is a fundamentalist Baptist minister, he's hardcore trust me, and we get along great. 

Okay, this one's too easy. You cuss like a Baptist, you use the original King James Version of the Bible that Peter and Paul used, and you probably don't speak in tongues. He's gotta extend you some mercy on all three counts. :angel:

Edited by prisonchaplain