Do You Feel Like An Outsider In The World We Live In?

Preppy

Hello to all!

I have a question for everyone here. Sometimes when I'm outside church I feel as if I'm different from everyone else. I mean, so many people are so different from us, Saints. In their lifestyle, in what appears to be normal for them.

Often times, these people frustrate me. They don't respect our beliefs and lifestyle yet some even claim that they value these very same things. For example, sometimes I'm afraid to say that I don't believe in premarital sex. Both, men and women look at me as if something is wrong with me.

Some women almost get offended when I make this statement (they act as if I'm suggesting that they're bad for having premarital sex) and men, well, they don't respect me because they don't think that I'm behaving very masculine for making such statement.

Who else?

It really depends on how these conversations are generated. If you're just walking around pointing at people holding hands walking through Walmart and making suggestive remarks, you would be considered a rude idiot.

If someone actually ask you then you should have a better answer and put some thought and compassion into it. Instead of talking about premartial relationships, you should be talking about family values.

Many senior citizens are forced to not marry because they would lose their pensions.

You might try keeping your mouth shut about other people's intimate relationships.

I don't think putting other people down is a stepping stone for bettering yourself. Find someone who is able to conqueor greater spiritual heights and work to reach to their plateau.

Yes, there are times when we are "outsiders". A great majority of people (no studies or statistics to back this up, just personal observations) think there is absolutely nothing wrong with participating in premarital sex, living together before marriage, etc. and indeed, think there is something wrong with people who believe such things are wrong.

It comes from the world calling evil things good, and good things evil.

What other people choose to do, we have no control over; but we can try to have some good influence on them, by gently explaining to them why we hold to our standards.

This does not mean we look down on them. It means we respect that they can make their own decisions, and we do not deserve disrepect when we make ours.

I don't think putting other people down is a stepping stone for bettering yourself. Find someone who is able to conqueor greater spiritual heights and work to reach to their plateau.

The irony is that he doesn't put anyone down. The OP simply says that he stated he did not believe in premarital sex. Right away, the questioning probably turned hostile, "Oh...you think your better than everyone else, huh???"

We neither cast our pearls before swine, nor do we hide our light under a bushel. Speaking the truth in love is a difficult walk--and some people simply will not hear it.

While I would not force myself into someone's personal, intimate affairs, neither would I be ashamed to speak for godly values. And, sorry...but I would not shack up with someone because of the tax benefits. The government does force anyone to live in sin. I believe this is something called "agency" or "free will."

Yes, there are times when we are "outsiders". A great majority of people (no studies or statistics to back this up, just personal observations) think there is absolutely nothing wrong with participating in premarital sex, living together before marriage, etc. and indeed, think there is something wrong with people who believe such things are wrong.

It comes from the world calling evil things good, and good things evil.

What other people choose to do, we have no control over; but we can try to have some good influence on them, by gently explaining to them why we hold to our standards.

This does not mean we look down on them. It means we respect that they can make their own decisions, and we do not deserve disrepect when we make ours.

You are correct....I do worry about the way this world is going and its view with what is right and what is wrong and what is acceptable....I have a brother who hangs out in bars.....when I want to see him I go and visit the particular Bar he is hanging at for that day. I don't particpate with whats going on in there....and my brother will stand up and tell everyone that I am his brother and I am religious and to leave me alone.

You are correct....I do worry about the way this world is going and its view with what is right and what is wrong and what is acceptable....I have a brother who hangs out in bars.....when I want to see him I go and visit the particular Bar he is hanging at for that day. I don't particpate with whats going on in there....and my brother will stand up and tell everyone that I am his brother and I am religious and to leave me alone.

Kudos to you for going to see him, and kudos to your brother for standing up for you!

<div class='quotemain'>

Kudos to you for going to see him, and kudos to your brother for standing up for you!

its sort of embarrassing at times when he does that.....but i also know he is very sincere when he does that.

The word "illegitimate" has been so abused by "Church People" that many people turn their backs on religion.

A nut case in the Church recently told me that I was "illegitimate." I didn't know whether to laugh in their stupid face or spit on them. I just told him that he needed to experience a pineapple up his!

He obviously does not know me or my family and his insult is not going to be forgiven in this life time!!!!!!!

He needs to take a tour of hell.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep your life on board and teach other people how to prepare and have a wonderful family and a good life. That is what my parents taught me.

The word "illegitimate" has been so abused by "Church People" that many people turn their backs on religion.

A nut case in the Church recently told me that I was "illegitimate." I didn't know whether to laugh in their stupid face or spit on them. I just told him that he needed to experience a pineapple up his!

He obviously does not know me or my family and his insult is not going to be forgiven in this life time!!!!!!!

He needs to take a tour of hell.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep your life on board and teach other people how to prepare and have a wonderful family and a good life. That is what my parents taught me.

LOL!!!!!!!! :P:P:P You know, keep your life on board and teach other people forgiveness!!!! For crying out loud!!!

Who else?

Mormons, Baptists, Jews, Sunni, Mexicans, Germans, Texans, Blacks, Blondes, Youngsters, Poor Folks, Preps, Jocks, Gangsters, Presidents, Trashmen, Smokers, Fishermen, Yankees, Pro-Lifers, and virtually every division of human beings imaginable are outcasts to someone.

The life and Sacrifice of the Saviour is the ultimate object lesson in the proper methods of handling social rejection. Study it well.

-a-train

I don't dish up forgiveness like it's the daily special! Think about how many lives that creep has hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And will continue to hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAS HE REALLY MADE BETTER THE LIVES OF LITTLE CHILDREN AND THEIR PARENTS??????????????? I THINK NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who have I forgiven lately? :hmmm:

Hello to all!

I have a question for everyone here. Sometimes when I'm outside church I feel as if I'm different from everyone else. I mean, so many people are so different from us, Saints. In their lifestyle, in what appears to be normal for them.

Often times, these people frustrate me. They don't respect our beliefs and lifestyle yet some even claim that they value these very same things. For example, sometimes I'm afraid to say that I don't believe in premarital sex. Both, men and women look at me as if something is wrong with me.

Some women almost get offended when I make this statement (they act as if I'm suggesting that they're bad for having premarital sex) and men, well, they don't respect me because they don't think that I'm behaving very masculine for making such statement.

Who else?

Sure I felt have felt like an outsider at one time or another because of my values but more often than not people who really matter in my life have respected me for it.

Quick question. How old are you?

When I was younger, things that you mention like being accepted by others was really important to me. I grew up in a less active home and drinking was all around me. I would be offered drinks many times in social situations and I would ask for something non-alcoholic and get really funny looks. It didn't take long before I expected those looks and I would flash the biggest smile I could give and that would make people wonder about me even more. Years later I found out that people would begin to protect me before a drink was even offered and I learned that to be respect.

If you are young hang in there, keep to your values and you will be the one to benefit. The people that really matter in your life will respect you just like Paleriders brother. :)

Hi there Preppy! Long time no see. Glad to see you around again.

In terms with the Outsiders topic, I think we all at some point have felt like an outsider or outkast, whether it be at work, school or even within our own family. You do get teased or ridiculed and you sometimes feel deflated about how you are and even sometimes shamed.

I went to a Catholic High School and was the on Lds person there (yes I know its weird :lol: ). I was teased a bit about being Mormon but I think after a while people grew to appreciate and became more curious about being different. A great Missionary opportunity by being an example.

I think it is a 2 way street. You can either be the example by being different or getting offended and seeking sweet revenge :lol:

We are a peculiar people, and I think thats a great thing to be.

Acez

I think I've always felt like an outsider...I can remember standing alone in the playground at junior/primary school, and sitting alone reading in my senior school and at college...I did have some friends, but also had my 'quieter' times...

Over the last 30 or so years of my life, I've tried to follow trends and fashions in order to not feel like an outsider, I've joined politically minded groups and community groups, but this feeling of being an outsider has remained..

I haven't been Baptised LDS and only practised it for 5 years, when I was the only LDS-practitioner in a Roman Catholic School, which made me even more of an outsider...

Sometimes it's no fun being an outsider trying to fit in or just looking in...sometimes it's very satisfying...confusing nonetheless!!

Hi there Preppy! Long time no see. Glad to see you around again.

In terms with the Outsiders topic, I think we all at some point have felt like an outsider or outkast, whether it be at work, school or even within our own family. You do get teased or ridiculed and you sometimes feel deflated about how you are and even sometimes shamed.

I went to a Catholic High School and was the on Lds person there (yes I know its weird :lol: ). I was teased a bit about being Mormon but I think after a while people grew to appreciate and became more curious about being different. A great Missionary opportunity by being an example.

I think it is a 2 way street. You can either be the example by being different or getting offended and seeking sweet revenge :lol:

We are a peculiar people, and I think thats a great thing to be.

Acez

Hello Acez, it's great to see you too!

You're absolutely right!