What happened to Sam

Wilderland

Hello. I am a long time lurker. I thought I'd dip my toe in the water today. Am I the only one who wonders what happened to Nephi's brother Sam? Were his descendants simply subsumed into Nephi's line? He is essentially never mentioned after 2 Nephi chapter 5 when they travel north to escape Laman and Lemuel, except for a brief mention in Alma 3, which only mentions him in the context of being a just and holy man, along with Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph. We hear of Nephites, Jacobites, Josephites, Zoramites, Lamanites, Lemuelites, and Ishmaelites, but never any Samites. Is it because Lehi, in his blessing to Sam, says Sam's seed will be numbered with Nephi's seed? That appears to be the best explanation, but I surmise that those in the Book of Mormon placed a premium on knowing their detailed ancestry, since it is mentioned several times, with specificity. Sam is curiously absent.

Edited by Wilderland

11 And after he had made an end of speaking unto them, he spake unto Sam, saying: Blessed art thou, and thy aseed; for thou shalt inherit the land like unto thy brother Nephi. And thy seed shall be numbered with his seed; and thou shalt be even like unto thy brother, and thy seed like unto his seed; and thou shalt be blessed in all thy days.

2 Nephi 4:11 - I figure it is literal that Sam's seed will be numbered with Nephi's.  My guess is similar to @Vort, he only had daughters.