International Relations

Guest Mores

Guest Mores

Is anyone else getting mighty shaken up about our international relations leading to war?

People can gripe and moan about immigration and about minimum wage.  But no one seems to care that we're on the verge of WWIII.

Guest Scott
2 hours ago, Mores said:

Is anyone else getting mighty shaken up about our international relations leading to war?

Yes.  With Iran at least, it's not a war we need or should get involved with either.

Iran seems to be *trying* to start a war.  I’m glad Trump isn’t playing, and I hope he has the resolve needed to stay out.

But, nature abhors a vacuum.  There will be a realignment, and it will be ugly; and the question is going to be whether we can bring ourselves to stay out of it when Russian troops are braining infants on the steps of the Kiev temple.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

18 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Iran seems to be *trying* to start a war.  

Correction.  Americans with interests in Iran seems to be trying to start a war. 

There is a reason that Iran Deal was inked.  All of it has much to do with corporatists being able to sell stuff in Iran or not... than Iran being a nuclear threat to Israel or not.  

18 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

But, nature abhors a vacuum.  There will be a realignment, and it will be ugly; and the question is going to be whether we can bring ourselves to stay out of it when Russian troops are braining infants on the steps of the Kiev temple.  

There's also a reason why the same Americans are trying to push the Kashoggi issue to separate the US from the Saudis.

Edited by anatess2

21 hours ago, Mores said:

People can gripe and moan about immigration and about minimum wage.  But no one seems to care that we're on the verge of WWIII.

Oh people care for sure.  But the news cycle is swamped by the Squad leaving no oxygen for anything else.

Guest MormonGator
22 hours ago, Mores said:

Bluntly put, no. Contrary to what we hear in the media the world is actually getting safer and yes, more peaceful. 

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-world-peaceful.html

https://slides.ourworldindata.org/war-and-violence/#/title-slide

I'm fairly confident there won't be a war with Iran either. Good luck selling Iraq 2.0 to the American people. 

Edited by MormonGator

Iran has been acting like it's wanted to start a war since at least the mid '80's, when I started paying attention.    Actually, I remember listening to people worrying about Iran in the early '80s.   So no, absolutely nothing I hear from that neck of the woods, including tankers being seized and people shooing down each other's unmanned drones, really worry me much. We (the US and Iran) rattle sabers often, and very few rattled sabers escalate to an actual armed conflict, and global economic impact of shutting down the straight, etc.

I do gotta give a sarcastic "thanks, Obama" to the previous 4 presidents who let Iran inch closer and closer to nukes across 3+ decades. 

Anyone remember that fun Aardman animation film Flushed Away?  Like that.

tumblr_mg14tnYnbt1s0lvwfo1_1280.jpg

Just now, NeuroTypical said:

Iran has been acting like it's wanted to start a war since at least the mid '80's, when I started paying attention.

Iran has been talking belligerently since the Ayatollahs took over in 1979 when Carter was in office. This is nothing new.

1 hour ago, Mores said:

So... no one is concerned with what Russia and China are doing?

Apparently not, but my house needs a do over, another heat/humidity wave is upon us, my beautiful 16 yr old daughter just started driving and dating whereas my beautiful 22 yr old needs a date that will commit and not flake out like 99% of BYU boys  and it took DH 2 hrs to commute to work this morning due to a fatal accident on the road he drives and my oldest daughter with 4 sons is expecting and desperately wants a girl but decided not to find out on the ultrasound resulting in 3 more agonizing months to find out and another pregnant daughter has high blood pressure and is due to deliver our first granddaughter in 6 weeks and my son just gave up a cushy job at microsoft to work for amazon and my other son is in a boring rotation in medschool and can't find a nice non-LDS girl to date and my 15 yr old daughter is resisting piano lessons to hone her natural talent and the new puppy keeps piddling on the floor and i need to figure out what I'm going to do when I grow up because I just hit another milestone birthday  and am done with living in the DC area because of all the drama and some very liberal neighbors and just want to retire in a cabin in the woods with mountain views and cool lakes and rivers and without ticks, snakes or poison ivy.  

What is going on in China and Russia? As long as AOC  and Omar and Rapinoe aren't headlines, I'm relieved. But then Trump offended another Black senator with his tweets, so there's that.  Did someone say something about a vacuum?  

1 hour ago, Mores said:

OK!!!

So, what's up with Trump extending nuclear waivers to Iran???

@anatess2???

This is basically Mnuchin vs Pompeo.  Trump simply held off on declaring a winner at this time.  His official statement is - "I'm good either way".   On one hand he's got the nuclear weapons capability threat (Pompeo - you can put Israel here too), on the other hand he's got clean nuclear energy and biomed (Mnuchin - you can put Kerry here too).  But, since the US is already out of the nuke deal, Trump can easily drop the hammer anytime he decides to as part of sanctions.  So the Aug 1 waiver extension can be made toothless.

My take on the matter:  The fight is currently between Iran and EU/Britain.  US applied punishing economic sanctions.  Iran is trying to make up for it by pressuring EU/Britain to increase trade.  They're doing the same old tricks of blasting through the enrichment limits and capturing foreign vessels.  Trump is currently on the sidelines holding his cards to his chest.  I posit that the downing of a US drone was a "deep state" (for lack of a better term) instigated Iranian attack trying to make Trump act.  Trump didn't.  I believe he's waiting for an opportune moment to get the most favorable terms on a new deal - although, I have no clue what exactly he wants out of it besides what Israel wants.