Assistance with a talk

Fether

So I'm giving a talk on Sunday and the topic is "Family Unity". It is a great topic and ideas for what to speak on have been flooding into my mind since I was asked to speak. But there is one problem. Our ward is a literal old folk home. 80% of the ward is 80 years old +. There are only 5 families in the ward and a couple of young married couples. Should I fix my talk to meet the audience? A silly question as I feel the obvious answer is "Ya... duh...". But what do I speak about?

My talk so far has a lot to do with what habits we need to develop in order to foster gospel unity within the gospel... but for most of these people, it is too late to apply any of this.

Ideas such as keeping a personal journal have crossed my mind, but what else can I speak about? 

This is a fascinating question.  I've attended a fair number of nice talks in sacrament meetings over the years (as a visitor), and many of them, sadly, broke the #1 rule I learned in Toastmasters about effective speeches: talk about things that your audience finds interesting.  

Why not interview some of the more talkative elderly people on Saturday and ask them what family unity was like when they were young married couples?  Then in your talk you could summarize your findings, tell a few gentle anecdotes (with permission, of course), explain how family unity has changed between the 1930s and 2019, and end with some gospel-oriented advice for the young couples.  I bet everyone will hang on every word you say and will feel delighted and uplifted when you finish.

To me, every talk should reference Christ so I would start with unity in the Godhead and then touch on unity in the ward family (support ea other in trials, callings, etc) and then end with unity in our own families. And no, it's not 'too late' for them - they can start to encourage forgiveness, family get-togethers, traditions, common interests, regular phone calls, etc. Maybe also bring up how our family members on the other side of the veil are united in helping us come unto Christ (this would circle back to the beginning of the talk and wrap it up nicely). Hope this helps and that your talk goes well.

I am not going to say anything you don't already know, and probably what you have already felt impressed about:

1) Follow the Spirit. The dynamics of the ward are less important. If you speak with the Spirit no matter who is in the audience they will know you are not there to entertain them but to speak doctrinal truths.

2) The family unit doesn't change when we are new couples, when we are middle aged, and when we are empty nesters 80+. Share doctrinal truths. Share personal experiences that aren't too personal to share publicly (unless of course #1)

3) I like @Manners Matter in sharing the doctrinal truth regarding family on the other side of the veil and temple work (family history)

From what I have read from your comments on Third Hour you appear to be sound in the most important doctrines of the gospel. So as you follow the Spirit, you will have other insights that come to your mind that the audience needs to hear. For some, the basic truths will provide an opportunity to for repentance. For some, it will be a comfortable reminder as the Spirit bear witness of truths they exercised and lived and did their best. For others, they might hear something they will share with their children who have children or even their grandchildren who are now in your position.

Some study material that might give you some more ideas:

1) Self-Reliance "My Foundation" principles. There are principles in their that are wonderful lessons for family unity.

2) Family Guidebook: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/topics/family/strengthening-marriages-and-families?lang=eng

3) Oh, here is a personal experience that happened in the temple. In the Celestial room I was sitting and pondering and I looked up to notice an elderly couple. As they stood up, he leaned in and kissed her (a sweet loving gentle kiss). After he kissed he noticed I smiled, and then he walked over right to me and said, "You have to keep the passion alive even at my age young man." He smiled and then went back to his wife, held her hand, and left the Celestial room. Share if you like, or ignore if you like.

Well, the Lord bless you with his Spirit as you study for your talk.

6 hours ago, Fether said:

My talk so far has a lot to do with what habits we need to develop in order to foster gospel unity within the gospel... but for most of these people, it is too late to apply any of this.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2015/10/its-never-too-early-and-its-never-too-late?lang=eng

I would also encourage you to consider your relationship with your parents and grandparents. Is there something there you can share? Is there something there that should be repented of?

11 hours ago, Fether said:

So I'm giving a talk on Sunday and the topic is "Family Unity". It is a great topic and ideas for what to speak on have been flooding into my mind since I was asked to speak. But there is one problem. Our ward is a literal old folk home. 80% of the ward is 80 years old +. There are only 5 families in the ward and a couple of young married couples. Should I fix my talk to meet the audience? A silly question as I feel the obvious answer is "Ya... duh...". But what do I speak about?

Ideas such as keeping a personal journal have crossed my mind, but what else can I speak about? 

I think once you consider that it is not too late for these people, ideas will flow into your mind and heart.