"Far and few between"—are you kidding me?

Vort

Sadly, the answer is "no". (Or probably more like "Huh? What do you mean?") For years now, I have seen people use the phrase "far and few between" unironically. It's as if an entire generation of Americans was brought up not knowing how words work. Hey, Millennials and later, here's a pro tip: "Far and few between" doesn't make any sense, unless it's being used humorously or ironically. And in that case, it makes sense precisely because it doesn't make any sense.

/old-guy-rant

1 minute ago, Vort said:

Sadly, the answer is "no". (Or probably more like "Huh? What do you mean?") For years now, I have seen people use the phrase "far and few between" unironically. It's as if an entire generation of Americans was brought up not knowing how words work. Hey, Millennials and later, here's a pro tip: "Far and few between" doesn't make any sense, unless it's being used humorously or ironically. And in that case, it makes sense precisely because it doesn't make any sense.

/old-guy-rant

Funny...

Maybe something happened on this forum where this wording was used (or perhaps I used it and forgot), but I have been contemplating this very saying off and on all week trying to make sense of it.

Is the correct term “few and far between”? 

Guest Mores
2 hours ago, Vort said:

That's a big 10-4, good buddy.

I once wrote an email response to a co-worker acknowledging his last statement.

10-4

I failed to recognize that English was not his first language.  He responded 

6?

Guest Mores
7 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

3!

This, after the platonic friends comment...

You, sir, are a genius... nay... a wizard -- a word wizard.

Edited by Mores

3 hours ago, Vort said:

/old-guy-rant

You're really going to get upset about this?

I could care less. :D

1 hour ago, mordorbund said:
1 hour ago, Fether said:

What will our generation do when yours dies out???

It does beg the question, doesn't it

Speaking of missed used phrases ;)

Today, I had the car radio to a sports station and after 10 minutes, I had to turn the thing off.  The sports commentator - and, of course, it has to be the one and only woman on the show - says "like" every 5 words or so.  It was so bad, it physically hurt my ears.  So yes, a PROFESSIONAL sports commentator talks like a 12 year old Beiber fan.

• pam featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, prisonchaplain said:

I believe the phrase originated with us boomers, not the young. They may not even use it. Does it not mean you will only encounter such a thing a few times and those encounters will be far apart?

Day-a-nows, it means that you will encounter them far apart, and there will only be a few between those encounters.

6 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Not a Millennial here, but I think "few and far between" makes sense.

You're not a Millennial, so you think "few and far between" makes sense.

You're older than Millennials, so you didn't read the thread title right.

You win some, you lose some.

39 minutes ago, Vort said:

You're not a Millennial, so you think "few and far between" makes sense.

You're older than Millennials, so you didn't read the thread title right.

You win some, you lose some.

Now I feel like I have to clarify my tongue-in-cheek remark.

You are right, of course, @Anddenex; "few and far between" makes perfect sense. But the thread is a jokey rant against the inversion (some might say perversion) "far and few between". So the fact that you are not a Millennial explains why you understand that "few and far between" makes sense, while the fact that you are older than Millennials (weaker eyesight, wandering mind, distractions galore) explains why you misread the thread title.

Ha ha ha. What a riot. Well, of course it isn't funny when I try to EXPLAIN it!

Edited by Vort

13 minutes ago, Vort said:

Now I feel like I have to clarify my tongue-in-cheek remark.

You are right, of course, @Anddenex; "few and far between" makes perfect sense. But the thread is a jokey rant against the inversion (some might say perversion) "far and few between". So the fact that you are not a Millennial explains why you understand that "few and far between" makes sense, while the fact that you are older than Millennials explains why you misread the thread title.

Ha ha ha. What a riot. Well, of course it isn't funny when I try to EXPLAIN it!

Well, with the explanation, I now perfectly understand and find it humorous. It appears I misread the OP and your response. Doh! hahaha

• pam unfeatured this topic