Boys Will Be Boys

Guest Mores

Guest Mores

The original phrase was of Latin origin.

Pueri sunt pueri, pueri puerilia tractant

-- Latin proverb

Translation: Children are children and do childish things

As in many languages, the plural male noun refers to both sexes.  So, even though it is "boys" it refers to "children."   It is only the sexist (against males) culture of the 19th and 20th century that has emphasized the "boy" aspect rather than the "children" aspect.  In the 20th century referred to the idea that boys are more mischievous than girls.  Today it means that boys are simply criminal and there's nothing we can do about it.

Guest MormonGator
32 minutes ago, Mores said:

.  Today it means that boys are simply criminal and there's nothing we can do about it.

There is a war on boys, and that war is a raging success. Sadly, now it's boys that are doing worse in school, using more drugs, committing suicide, have lower self esteem....

And no one says anything about it because they don't want to appear politically incorrect or insensitive. They lack the backbone and courage to say anything. 

Edited by MormonGator

51 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

There is a war on boys, and that war is a raging success. Sadly, now it's boys that are doing worse in school, using more drugs, committing suicide, have lower self esteem....

And no one says anything about it because they don't want to appear politically incorrect or insensitive. They lack the backbone and courage to say anything. 

That is very true and very sad. My two sons really struggle.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

That is very true and very sad. My two sons really struggle.

Sorry to hear that. Hope they turn out okay. 

It's tough to be a boy in 2019. If you show emotion, some dads say "Act like a man, shut up!" so you just suppress your feelings and it gets worse. Combine that with the constant "You have to do better, you aren't good enough." they get from other sources and you've got problems.  

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope they turn out okay. 

It's tough to be a boy in 2019. If you show emotion, some dads say "Act like a man, shut up!" so you just suppress your feelings and it gets worse. Combine that with the constant "You have to do better, you aren't good enough." they get from other sources and you've got problems.  

We are actually considering online school instead of public. The teachers and staff are good, but overloaded and it is like Lord of the Flies otherwise.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

We are actually considering online school instead of public. The teachers and staff are good, but overloaded and it is like Lord of the Flies otherwise.

One thing to tell your kids: Life gets so much better. School was a miserable time for a lot of us (myself included), but from college-on my life has been astronomically better. I've noticed in life that people who have good school experiences usually don't adjust well to adulthood. Yes, it's just my observations, and yes, it doesn't mean much. But it is what I've seen. So tell them it gets so much better. 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

One thing to tell your kids: Life gets so much better. School was a miserable time for a lot of us (myself included), but from college-on my life has been astronomically better. I've noticed in life that people who have good school experiences usually don't adjust well to adulthood. Yes, it's just my observations, and yes, it doesn't mean much. But it is what I've seen. So tell them it gets so much better. 

Yes, that is what we are always telling them, but they often feel isolated even when they have a loving family.

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

In the meantime...

I'm here cleaning a bucketful of shrimp that my husband caught off the river.  I'm gonna be making shrimp torta for dinner.  The sink overlooks this giant window with a full view of my entire backyard where my 2 boys are testing out the 6-foot tall trebuchet they built off the scraps after building a doghouse.  This makes me think I need to grow some potatoes to use as ammo.

Boys will be boys.  And mama's gonna mama.  We're set for the zombie apocalypse.

Edited by anatess2