Shaming People? Not Cool — Unless It Applies to Virgins

I'll never forget a conversation I had with one of my friends right before I got married: "Seriously, you guys haven't had sex yet?" she asked. "No, we're waiting until we're married," I told her. "But like, how far have you gotten?" "We just kiss." "No, but like, what base have you gotten to?" Growing up on the East Coast, most of my friends weren't members of the Church — so when I told them I was going to wait until marriage to have sex, they were shocked. This particular friend's questions weren't ill-intentioned and, since she and I had always been so close, she was just curious — and truthfully, it made me laugh. It was so hard for her to understand that my fiancé and I wanted to wait until marriage to have sex, let alone any kind of sexual relationship outside of kissing. While this friend was supportive and loving regarding my decision, most people weren't so understanding. I vividly remember being called a prude, being labeled as uptight, and hearing that I needed...

View the full article