Religion: Is this the best the BBC can do?

Vort

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190801-tomorrows-gods-what-is-the-future-of-religion

I clicked on this link anticipating a thoughtful discussion of religious trends, or perhaps a deconstruction of either (or both) religious thought and academic religion-as-subject analysis. Instead, I got a softball article, not even a survey but just some atheistic dude writing his random, not-very-well-organized musings on a subject he clearly isn't deeply versed on.

This is the kind of nonsense I have come to expect from CNN or even the NYT. I have long thought that the BBC was a cut above such yellow journalism, but the media in general (and the BBC in specific) usually disappoint my expectations.

So I'm linking to an article that I suggest you don't read. Go figure.

Edited by Vort

If you get the chance, check out Get Religion [dot] org, a website run by a group of veteran religion reporters who analyze how various media outlets cover different stories. 

They write as if they were journalism professors, noting strengths and weaknesses to the various approaches taken in an article. 

A general conclusion they come to, however, is that because so few outlets take religious news seriously these days, too few journalists are being trained in how to properly handle various topics and so are clearly in over their head. 

22 hours ago, Vort said:

May I then link to a YouTube video that I suggest everyone watch?  Two videos, actually.  They are long but they're great to listen to in the car on the way to work.  If you are a person of faith with any inclination toward science you will find them fascinating, even though God and religion are not explicitly discussed.

The BBC has some great programs, but they're far and few between.  The absolute worst television show I've ever seen was a BBC1 series called Come Back Mrs. Noah, which comes close to being an unplanned self-satire.  And it starred one of my favorite actresses, the great Mollie Sugden (Mrs. Slocombe of Are You Being Served? fame).  Episodes of this show are also on YouTube and would make a fine addition to anyone's public playlist.

Edited by Texan

On 8/2/2019 at 9:20 PM, Vort said:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190801-tomorrows-gods-what-is-the-future-of-religion

I clicked on this link anticipating a thoughtful discussion of religious trends, or perhaps a deconstruction of either (or both) religious thought and academic religion-as-subject analysis. Instead, I got a softball article, not even a survey but just some atheistic dude writing his random, not-very-well-organized musings on a subject he clearly isn't deeply versed on.

This is the kind of nonsense I have come to expect from CNN or even the NYT. I have long thought that the BBC was a cut above such yellow journalism, but the media in general (and the BBC in specific) usually disappoint my expectations.

The BBC has to attract viewers and unfortunately well informed or analytical programs do not attract wide audiences... reality TV and soap operas with the occasional period drama is what we get now.  I am always dismayed by the "documentaries" which lack any attempt at critical thinking. My biggest bug bear is the push for "balance reporting" which actually just means giving air time to anyone with an opinion, no matter what the factual basis.

BBC radio is better - try listening to BBC Radio 4.

The Olympic coverage is SPECTACULAR though

I miss the BBC of 10 years ago and can only predict further declines as funding is cut further

Edited by KScience
SPAG