Thoughts on Westminster College SLC

prisonchaplain

My 2nd daughter received a mailer from Westminster College, in Salt Lake City, with a pretty generous scholarship offer. It looks like a small, private, classy little school. However, what do I know...I'm in Seattle. Anyone have any thoughts, impressions, sage counsel about this place?

Edited by prisonchaplain

I believe tuition + room/board are just shy of $40K. Without submitting any application or test scores, they are offering $22K a year minimum in scholarship money. That brings the school below our state institutions. My church just started with the 50% off tuition scholarships--but only for ministry majors. :::sigh:::

4 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

I believe tuition + room/board are just shy of $40K. Without submitting any application or test scores, they are offering $22K a year minimum in scholarship money. That brings the school below our state institutions. My church just started with the 50% off tuition scholarships--but only for ministry majors. :::sigh:::

Shoot . . . She could come to BYU with no scholarship for under $20K.  If she wanted to convert, it’d be more like $13K.  :P 

4 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

My 2nd daughter received a mailer from Westminster College, in Salt Lake City, with a pretty generous scholarship offer. It looks like a small, private, classy little school. However, what do I know...I'm in Seattle. Anyone have any thoughts, impressions, sage counsel about this place?

I know many very intelligent class mates that chose to go here.

1 hour ago, SilentOne said:

But I'm guessing this is still a factor: 

The oldest ended up not choosing any of the schools we visited together--nor any her high school took her to (state schools). She's starting at Grand Canyon University, in AZ, in a couple of weeks. It's broadly Evangelical, and yes, they threw a nice scholarship package her way. A man plans his ways but the Lord directs his steps. (Prov. 16:9)

1 hour ago, Plein Air said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but my perception has been that Westminster leans heavily to the left. Some estimates are that over 1/3 of the student body identify as progressives, almost 40% as liberals, slightly over 10% as Moderates and less than 5% as conservatives. The faculty seems to mirror the student body politically from what I have seen. That is not an atmosphere I would want my kids going into unless it was necessary for some reason.

It’s Utah... 

Any school outside of the Provo area is “liberal”. And Any left leaning school is not really that left leaning. I went to SUU, a liberal arts school, that went hard during diversity week/month. Still felt the majority of people I knew were conservative. Granted I mostly hung out with other saints.

On 8/2/2019 at 6:32 PM, prisonchaplain said:

There are a lot of +'s with Westminster.  I never took a class there but I know of many that have.  The class size is small and the students get a lot of attention - more so than at most other universities.  Most that I know of that go there - it is for postgraduate work.  Westminster is more flexible with students than many  universities so that a student can work while going to school with a lighter load and evening classes.  But for Utah - it is one of the higher end cost wise.  

I am not a big fan of modern college education.  I think youth should avoid the university seen unless they know exactly what they want to do with their lives in regards to a profession.  Once that is firmly settled - then they can consider what a particular school provides and at what costs.  ROI (Return On Investment) is especially important when dealing with worldly things.  But then an education should broaden one's horizons - not compartmentalize them.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler