Missions

Guest Scott

Guest Scott

I was married before I was old enough to go on a mission, but where did you all go?

Whether you went to Boise Idaho or Madagscar, this thread is just for fun.

16 minutes ago, dprh said:

OTM - The Only True Mission. 😂

Otherwise known as, Oklahoma Tulsa Mission from Dec 19th, 2001 - Dec 27th, 2003. Due to the way transfer fell, I actually missed 3 Christmases. But it was really like only missing one because my family did one early and another late for me.

IRM, the, um...Intimately, uh...Realistic Mission. AKA Italy Rome. And though I was only gone for 18 months, I managed to miss two Christmases. One I spent in the MTC. I enjoyed the MTC well enough, but it's not a place I would suggest for a wonderful Christmas. No chimneys for Santa.

When I got home, I was rather entertained by how many friendly folks asked me if I spoke Spanish there. I mean, it's not far off, but given the name of the country, I'd think everyone would just, you know, infer.

I was called to the Northwestern States Mission (Washington, Oregon and Idaho) from 1965 to 1967.  This is the mission that developed the ancient but innovative 6 discussions and member referral, follow up and fellowship program.  When I was serving it was the #1 baptizing mission in the Church.  We also totalled more cars than any other mission.  I never wrecked a car but I did get a speeding ticket riding a bicycle.  I had a transfer from Boise to Seattle that was a greater distance than if I had gone home.  My most favorite argument when confronting ministers that wanted to debate doctrine - was simply; if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was not the true church directed by G-d himself; that the young 19 year old missionaries would have ruined it by now - despite all the arguments no other church dare send out teenage boys as the bulk of their full time missionaries.  And if the church was not true that no other religion on earth would concern themselves or fear their members talk the the boy (and now girl) missionaries.  None of such youthful boys and girls have the supposed necessary education to teach religion.

I was taught many things beyond teaching and baptizing.  We were taught not to use weak words or phrases in prayers (especially in blessings) - like "might" or  "pray that" or "we ask that".  My mission president said if we were called upon to give blessing in the name of Christ then use words appropriate for someone standing as proxy for Christ and according to the spirit.  To this day I am still astonished with the many miracles I experienced while serving as a missionary and the lifetime of blessing I have been giving for serving as a missionary.  It was a honor to serve under my mission presidents and with most of my companions (and as always there at least one exception).

The Traveler

1 minute ago, Traveler said:

I had a transfer from Boise to Seattle that was a greater distance than if I had gone home.

Boise is almost exactly halfway to Provo, so I take it you're from northern Utah.

2 minutes ago, Traveler said:

My most favorite argument when confronting ministers that wanted to debate doctrine - was simply; if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was not the true church directed by G-d himself; that the young 19 year old missionaries would have ruined it by now - despite all the arguments no other church dare send out teenage boys as the bulk of their full time missionaries.

President Hinckley made this same argument, tongue-in-cheek but also, I believe, truth in jest.

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

And if the church was not true that no other religion on earth would concern themselves or fear their members talk the the boy (and now girl) missionaries.  None of such youthful boys and girls have the supposed necessary education to teach religion.

I do not disagree with this, but let me note that my recently returned 21-year-old son was given a Brazilian passport only because he could document that he had received four years of seminary training, which qualified him as a minister. In some ways, our children are better educated (or better indoctrined, if you prefer) than we sometimes give credit for. They are not and (hopefully) never will be theologians, but if they follow the program, they are well-versed in the basics of LDS doctrine by the time they leave home.

5 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I was taught many things beyond teaching and baptizing.  We were taught not to use weak words or phrases in prayers (especially in blessings) - like "might" or  "pray that" or "we ask that".  My mission president said if we were called upon to give blessing in the name of Christ then use words appropriate for someone standing as proxy for Christ and according to the spirit.

Wise words, worth taking to heart.

Osorno, Chile.  ‘89-‘91

After opening the call letter, I had to go to the the local library and do some research.  I found an Atlas probably published in the 60’s with info likely gathered in the 30’s.  Things had changed.

I will probably go back for the first time next year to reminisce and catch a total solar eclipse.

Children’s missions so far:

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Temple Square, SLC

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Edited by mikbone

Guest Scott
1 hour ago, Vort said:

When I got home, I was rather entertained by how many friendly folks asked me if I spoke Spanish there. I mean, it's not far off, but given the name of the country, I'd think everyone would just, you know, infer.

I was in Italy in June and in the part we were in, no one spoke Italian and all of the menus were in German in English.    🙂 

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

I was in Italy in June and in the part we were in, no one spoke Italian and all of the menus were in German in English.    🙂 

So I gather you were up in the Lake Como region south of Switzerland? If so, Germans would argue that no Real German® was spoken there.

11 minutes ago, Scott said:

If it was the Queen's English then it would be no easier to read and understand than the German to the average American.

Guest Scott
5 minutes ago, Vort said:

So I gather you were up in the Lake Como region south of Switzerland? If so, Germans would argue that no Real German® was spoken there.

South Tyrol, which is south of Austria (though it just touches Switzerland as well).   Wiki says 23% of South Tyrol speaks Italian, but that the Italian speakers are mostly in Bolzano and Merano:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Tyrol

We never did hear anyone speaking Italian; only German and English.   

My son wanted to climb the Alps for his high school graduation so we headed for the Dolomites (Dolomiti) since the routes up there are in season earlier than most of the rest of the Alps.

We had a lot of fun, but I found out the hard way that I am not young anymore.   Anyway, a few pics:

Kessler climbing the Steger Route on First Sella Tower.

Early morning on Ortler.

1039675.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&ixlib=php-2.1.1&q=35&w=500&s=ea96573fdb8da558f2c4a3493d4b0be5

1039677.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&ixlib=php-2.1.1&q=35&w=500&s=5979a1da3391694c04021092da58a436

1.jpg.8eccead183fb15debc1f24538c698912.jpg2.jpg.d87914338e2aa1c46960f50745e76dd3.jpg

I guess I'd better get back on topic though.  ;)

19 hours ago, Vort said:

I do not disagree with this, but let me note that my recently returned 21-year-old son was given a Brazilian passport only because he could document that he had received four years of seminary training, which qualified him as a minister. In some ways, our children are better educated (or better indoctrined, if you prefer) than we sometimes give credit for. They are not and (hopefully) never will be theologians, but if they follow the program, they are well-versed in the basics of LDS doctrine by the time they leave home.

I learned quickly on my mission that most ministers are much better prepared to argue points of doctrine from scripture than are the missionaries.  I had debate in high school.  But I discovered that some ministers were not into debating and enjoyed discussions about religion - about 20% of those I encountered.  I learned that no one wins an argument, with the exception of Satan that intends to create animosity and discorde.   The northwest states seem to be full of experts anti to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - perhaps more than anywhere else I have been.  But then, I believe the Saints of the northwest are the stronger because of it.

The Traveler

I got baptized after I got married so no mission for me.

These are the places the missionaries in our ward went:

Logan Utah
Spanish-speaking Mission in Redwood California
Chinese-speaking Mission in Sydney
Cebu East Mission Philippines

New Mexico - Albuquerque, 1981-1982.

I was called for 24 months but served for 18 as missions for elders were shortened with the announcement coming on what became my hump day.  My last Sunday in New Mexico was Christmas with my return home on Wednesday.  My Christmas phone call home focused mostly on plans for New Year's Eve coming that next weekend.

My son served in Nevada - Las Vegas, Spanish speaking.  He was in the 3rd group of missionaries that attended the CCM in Mexico City (see photo) rather than the MTC in Provo.

DSC00050.JPG

On 8/8/2019 at 10:01 AM, Traveler said:

I learned that no one wins an argument, with the exception of Satan that intends to create animosity and discorde.

Something to consider:

I've also found it true that when two people argue religion (among other things), neither usually budge an inch.  However, the argument can have a profound effect on those witnessing, who have not yet made up their minds. 

There I was - baby-faced 27 yr old with a brand spanking new real live testimony, having goofed off through all my gospel education.  The two things that grew and solidified that testimony were 1) getting called to teach Gospel Principles, and 2) lurking and watching the endless debates between faithful and critic.   Those two things taught me the doctrine and the history.  And because I could discern truth, and had a passable understanding of logic, I could tell the difference between opinions/beliefs based on fact/truth, and opinions/beliefs based on anger/hurt/hate/rhetoric/fear/lies.

I mean yes, when arguments turn into contentious one-upsmanship, nobody leaves one whit better than before. And that describes many, if not most arguments.  But when two sides bring their best evidence to bear, I get to weigh both sides and make appropriate conclusions. When we argue, there can be a winner.

Wherefore, confound your enemies; call upon them to meet you both in public and in private; and inasmuch as ye are faithful their shame shall be made manifest.  Wherefore, let them bring forth their strong reasons against the Lord. Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you—there is no weapon that is formed against you shall prosper; 
Prove all things; hold fast to which is good.
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

"Though argument does not create conviction, the lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish."
Austin Farrer, "The Christian Apologist," in Light on C. S. Lewis , ed. Jocelyn Gibb (New York: Harcourt and Brace, 1965), 26.

I didn't go on a mission, but when y'all came back with a little knowledge and a little love for thy fellow man, well, the other side never stood a chance.

Edited by NeuroTypical

I served in MIM, the Missouri Independence Mission from Feb. 2005 to Feb. 2007. We used to joke that it's the "only mission with a future" what with it being the future site of New Jerusalem. I loved being able to take investigators to all of the church history sites for lessons, and our farewell testimony meeting at Adam-ondi-Ahman was incredible. It was also fun teaching all the members of the various churches who broke off from us that live there. You'd start your door approach, and they'd say something like "we love the Book of Mormon! We are in Ether right now." We had to learn to quickly transition to bearing testimony of Brigham Young, which was actually kind of fun.

4 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

I served in MIM, the Missouri Independence Mission from Feb. 2005 to Feb. 2007. We used to joke that it's the "only mission with a future" what with it being the future site of New Jerusalem. I loved being able to take investigators to all of the church history sites for lessons, and our farewell testimony meeting at Adam-ondi-Ahman was incredible. It was also fun teaching all the members of the various churches who broke off from us that live there. You'd start your door approach, and they'd say something like "we love the Book of Mormon! We are in Ether right now." We had to learn to quickly transition to bearing testimony of Brigham Young, which was actually kind of fun.

I visited Adam-ondi-Ahman in the late 60's following my mission.  I visited again last month.  There have been a lot of changes in the last 50 years.  My initial impression is quite different from my current impressions.  If we consider such changes a type and shadow (symbolism) of changes in the world pursuant the return of Christ - we have indeed come a very long way.

BTW - Wasn't taking investigators to places like Far West and Adam-ondi-Ahman a little outside your area? 😉

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I visited Adam-ondi-Ahman in the late 60's following my mission.  I visited again last month.  There have been a lot of changes in the last 50 years.  My initial impression is quite different from my current impressions.  If we consider such changes a type and shadow (symbolism) of changes in the world pursuant the return of Christ - we have indeed come a very long way.

BTW - Wasn't taking investigators to places like Far West and Adam-ondi-Ahman a little outside your area? 😉

The Traveler

Yes they would have been. We took investigators to the Liberty and Independence visitor's centers. Far West was in our mission boundaries, but it's not really close to anything and, at least at the time, Adam-ondi-Ahman was a seperate little mission of it's own with a few senior missionaries who take care of it (our closing testimony meeting was just my Mission President and those of us who were going home).