How do you handle depression and hopelessness ?

I would study what hope is. I found that once I had gained an understanding of what hope really was, then it really helped me acquire it.

Preach My Gospel: how-do-i-develop-christlike-attributes?lang=eng

A great talk on it: general-conference/1999/10/hope-an-anchor-of-the-soul

Ether 12:4,6,12,27

Guest Mores
12 hours ago, Serviteur du seigneur said:

Thats the question

Find a very successful mental health expert and surround yourself with very loving and compassionate people.

When I say "very successful" I'm not just talking about someone who's rich.  I'm talking about someone who has had success in turning people's lives around to where they are not so troubled.

Edited by Mores

I have difficulty comprehending such things.  I grew up in a family of achievers.  We were not allowed to get any grades in school below a B (B- was unacceptable).  When I reached age 8 I was required to work and earn my own money (work did not include home chores).  I had to use my money to purchase my own clothes and entertainment.  Work included picking fruit and vegetables, having a paper route and door to door sales (Christmas and occasion cards and stationary).  I started my first business where I hired someone else when I was in highschool.  I did not have a lot of "down time" growing up.  If I ever told my father I was bored I would be given an unpaid task to do for the family.  It was also required to read a book a week.  In addition my father volunteered me and my siblings for service - half of Saturday we were working on service projects.

As a side note - I had difficulty in grade school and would have to take classes during the summer.  I found out later in life that I am dyslexic.   I understand that there are individuals with difficulties that require help but I have learned that I am not equipped to be much of a help.  I was raised and taught that discouragement is the lack of courage and the solution is to work harder.  That has always worked for me.  I do know that others have overcome difficulties by other means - so I am convinced that whatever works for somebody - that is what they ought to seek out and do.  The things they know that do not work - should be avoided.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

On 8/7/2019 at 9:07 PM, Serviteur du seigneur said:

Thats the question

Service.

It goes that when one is looking outward towards the needs of others instead of inward towards one's needs, depression recedes and hope builds.  So, my non-professional general advice to people is... to get a dog.  ;)