Hi Practicing Catholic Ask Me Anything

Josh H.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Josh H. said:

How do you understand Jesus when he said you are Peter and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell will not overcome it? Seems pretty straightforward he's talking about the Church he's establishing right there. And also making it clear he will not let the devil overcome it.

If you read it in Greek, they use the feminine form of "rock". 

i'm a former Catholic. Born and raised, Catholic school and everything. 

Edited by MormonGator

14 minutes ago, Josh H. said:

I thought it was definitive. Interesting. Can I ask what you believe on this subject?

Despite individual speculations, I think it is fair to say that most Latter-Day Saints agree that the answer to this question is unnecessary and irrelevant to the plan of salvation, and is also irrelevant to our relationship with God.  That said, many non-LDS Christians are taken aback by the nonchalance with which this topic is treated.  It's just really not something that we think is all that big a deal, where other Christians treat it as though such a concept destroys their entire reality.  I'm not sure why;  I mean, if you get to heaven and you find out that God DOES have a father, and that He WAS once a mortal man, are you going to walk out of heaven because you just can't follow Him anymore?  Well, I won't.  😊  Will it make you stop believing in Christ as your personal Savior and the only way back to heaven and to the Father?  Not me.  Will it make you ask a bunch of follow up questions?  I certainly hope so!

Food for thought:  If you believe that God can become man, as Christ did during the minuscule moment of existence of our planet, could he not have done it previously on a different planet?  If so, who's to say that back then the deity known to us as the Son did not act in place of the Father, and vice-versa?  I definitely don't believe that to be the case, but I can't think of any traditional Christian doctrine that would impede such a speculative notion from being considered 'plausible'.  My point is that, with doctrine, that which is plausible, is often irrelevant, and so the concept of who or what God may have been is irrelevant to Latter-Day Saints; all that matters is who He now is.

3 hours ago, Josh H. said:

Hi NeuroTypical. Not here for confrontational debate or dialogue. I do think respectful debate is a good thing. 

I don't see any issues with what people have posted in this thread so far, but I would like to remind everyone of some of the site rules, to which we all agreed to abide when creating an account here:

1. Do not post, upload, or otherwise submit anything to the site that is derogatory towards The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, its teachings, or its leaders. Anti-LDS Propaganda will not be tolerated anywhere.

2. Please be conscious of the fact that although Third Hour is aimed towards an LDS audience, that the membership of this site consists of friends from an array of different backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. Please be respectful and courteous to all, and know that everyone who is willing to follow the Rules and Terms of Third Hour are welcome to participate and be a member of Third Hour. Keep in mind that anything posted, uploaded, or otherwise displayed on the site should be understandable to friends of other faiths as well as to members. Please define any LDS vocabulary that friends of other faiths may not understand (i.e. Mutual, Relief Society, and Deacon.)

Happy posting everyone!

2 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Not in any way your'e thinking of.

There's no LDS Christian definitive doctrine that deals with the Father's past.  There's some speculation, but nothing definitive at all, and you'll find LDS Christians with a wide variety of views on it, all sitting at the same pew.  To go into any of those views requires a long long list of theological discussions before we can get there.  

ummmm... I can pull up multiple sources, official church, and semi-official (BYU lectures by active 70s and a Truman G Madsen's discourses on Joseph Smith for example) that disagree with this. I think it is very clear on what the church teaches on the topic of Heavenly Father's "past". Sure we don't have a biography of his past, but we do believe that Our Heavenly Father was once a man. I'll provide some of the most readily available ones below.
churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/i-have-a-question/is-president-snows-statement

churchofjesuschrist.orgthe-king-follett-sermon

churchofjesuschrist.orggospel-topics-essays/becoming-like-god

byu.edu/tad-r-callister/our-identity-and-our-destiny/

@Josh H. Though we do believe this, We don't go around screaming it in church (hence the lack of source material), in fact it is really such a minor part of what we believe. We are far too worried about faith, hope, charity, Christ's infinite sacrifice, repentance, baptism, prayer, scripture study, salvation, family, obedience to the commandments, family history, and countless other eternal truths. It has been probably over a year since this topic was even brought up in church, and it was by some crazy old man who said it out of context of the discussion trying to sound wise.

The only mysteries of God we are truly worried about are the mysteries of how it is we can put off the natural man and become like Christ. And, of course, what is in Sister Jordan's Cheesy Potatoes... how does she make that glorious dish!?

Edited by Fether

17 minutes ago, Fether said:

ummmm... I can pull up multiple sources, official church, and semi-official (BYU lectures by active 70s and a Truman G Madsen's discourses on Joseph Smith for example) that disagree with this. I think it is very clear on what the church teaches on the topic of Heavenly Father's "past". Sure we don't have a biography of his past, but we do believe that Our Heavenly Father was once a man. I'll provide some of the most readily available ones below.
churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/i-have-a-question/is-president-snows-statement

churchofjesuschrist.orgthe-king-follett-sermon

churchofjesuschrist.orggospel-topics-essays/becoming-like-god

byu.edu/tad-r-callister/our-identity-and-our-destiny/

Though we do believe this, We don't go around screaming it in church, in fact it is really such a minor part of what we believe. We are far too worried about faith, hope, charity, Christ's infinite sacrifice, repentance, baptism, prayer, scripture study, salvation, family, obedience to the commandments, family history, and countless other eternal truths. It has been probably over a year since this topic was even brought up in church, and it was by some crazy old man who said it out of context of the discussion trying to sound wise.

The only mysteries of God we are truly worried about are the mysteries of how it is we can put off the natural man and become like Christ. And, of course, what is in Sister Jordan's Cheesy Potatoes... how does she make that glorious dish!?

Providing links to speculations.  None of this leads to the conclusions a Creedal Christian will have reading things, and nothing is cemented stance..  

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Fether said:

And here lies the source of what transformed CatholicGator into MormonGator
(I kid of course ;))

It was actually the polygamy, but anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Providing links to speculations.  None of this leads to the conclusions a Creedal Christian will have reading things, and nothing is cemented stance..  

You seem to have not read any of those sources. Let me help you out.

"Is President Lorenzo Snow’s oft-repeated statement —“As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be” —accepted as official doctrine by the Church?...To my knowledge there has been no “official” pronouncement by the First Presidency declaring that President Snow’s couplet is to be accepted as doctrine. But that is not a valid criteria for determining whether or not it is doctrine...President Snow’s son LeRoi later told that the Prophet Joseph Smith confirmed the validity of the revelation Elder Snow had received...The Prophet Joseph Smith himself publicly taught the doctrine the following year, 1844, during a funeral sermon of Elder King Follett: “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! … It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God, and to know that we may converse with him as one man converses with another, and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did.”...Numerous sources could be cited, but one should suffice to show that this doctrine is accepted and taught by the Brethren. In an address in 1971, President Joseph Fielding Smith, then serving as President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said:“I think I can pay no greater tribute to [President Lorenzo Snow and Elder Erastus Snow] than to preach again that glorious doctrine which they taught and which was one of the favorite themes, particularly of President Lorenzo Snow. …“We have been promised by the Lord that if we know how to worship, and know what we worship, we may come unto the Father in his name, and in due time receive of his fulness. We have the promise that if we keep his commandments, we shall receive of his fulness and be glorified in him as he is in the Father.“This is a doctrine which delighted President Snow, as it does all of us. Early in his ministry he received by direct, personal revelation the knowledge that (in the Prophet Joseph Smith’s language), ‘God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens,’ and that men ‘have got to learn how to be Gods … the same as all Gods have done before.’“This same doctrine has of course been known to the prophets of all the ages, and President Snow wrote an excellent poetic summary of it.” (Address on Snow Day, given at Snow College, 14 May 1971, pp. 1, 3–4; italics added.) It is clear that the teaching of President Lorenzo Snow is both acceptable and accepted doctrine in the Church today." (churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/i-have-a-question/is-president-snows-statement)

"Since that sermon, known as the King Follett discourse, the doctrine that humans can progress to exaltation and godliness has been taught within the Church. Lorenzo Snow, the Church’s fifth President, coined a well-known couplet: “As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be.”43 Little has been revealed about the first half of this couplet, and consequently little is taught. When asked about this topic, Church President Gordon B. Hinckley told a reporter in 1997, “That gets into some pretty deep theology that we don’t know very much about.” When asked about the belief in humans’ divine potential, President Hinckley responded, “Well, as God is, man may become. We believe in eternal progression. Very strongly.”44" (churchofjesuschrist.orggospel-topics-essays/becoming-like-god)

"The Gospel of Philip, an apocryphal book, makes this simple statement of logic: “A horse sires a horse, a man begets man, a god brings forth a god.”24 The difference between man and God is significant—but it is one of degree, not kind. It is the difference between an acorn and an oak tree, a rosebud and a rose, a son and a father. In truth, every man is a potential god in embryo, in fulfillment of that eternal law that like begets like." (byu.edu/tad-r-callister/our-identity-and-our-destiny/)

There, now you don't need to do any personal research.

Edited by Fether

5 minutes ago, Fether said:

You seem to have not read any of those sources. Let me help you out.

You know I have read all this many times, I stand by my statements, and there's no point in arguing things.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

9 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

You know I have read all this, I stand by my statements, and there's no point in arguing things.  

I understand. I won't stand by my statement, instead I'll stand by these publications that are on the official church website. For future reference... I would suggest using official statement when sharing beliefs about our faith and not personal creeds.

I may sound frustrated, and that is because I am. I understand not wanting to throw the deeper, less (and oftentimes almost non) important beliefs at people who aren't members, but to tell someone that we don't believe this, and that it is only a skeptical theory held by members, all-the-while a church source says that many church prophets and brethren have taught this and that "It is clear that the teaching of President Lorenzo Snow [that God was once a man] is both acceptable and accepted doctrine in the Church today." seems wrong to me.

Edited by Fether

2 minutes ago, Fether said:

I understand. I won't stand by my statement, instead I'll stand by these publications that are on the official church website. For future reference... I would suggest using official statement when sharing beliefs about our faith and not personal creeds.

I may sound frustrated, and that is because I am. I understand not wanting to throw the deeper, less (and oftentimes almost non) important beliefs at people who aren't members, but to tell someone that we don't believe this, and that it is only a skeptical theory held by members, all-the-while a church source says that many church prophets and brethren have taught this and that "It is clear that the teaching of President Lorenzo Snow [that God was once a man] is both acceptable and accepted doctrine in the Church today." seems wrong to me.

Rather than derail this further from Josh, I'll send you a PM.

@Josh H. I am very impressed with your religion. I have a good friend (who admittedly I haven't spoken to in years) who knew the catholic church doctrine inside and out and wanted to become a priest. We had many long talks and he was able to expound the catholic beliefs on so many topics and I was incredibly impressed with how nicely fit all your doctrine fit together without him having to say the cliche "Only God knows" statements when the hard questions came along.

Do you personally study scripture often? and if so, how do you keep it fresh? I kinda get stuck with what it is I want to study, and we have like twice as much scripture as you do haha xD

14 hours ago, Josh H. said:

Hello. I'm Catholic. If you want ask me anything about my faith. Tough/controversial questions welcome. I will do my best to answer anything asked. God Bless.

Josh wants to answer questions about Catholicism.

5 hours ago, Josh H. said:

Joseph Smith essentially said that the gates of hell had overcome the Church and that it was in apostasy. And he restored it. I think that is impossible because Christ himself guaranteed that wouldn't happen.

Except for that. Just a one-off.

4 hours ago, Josh H. said:

I know the reason the Catholic Church doesn't accept LDS Baptism is because of how they understand the Trinity and God's nature. God the Father has always been. He's spirit. He was never a mortal man. That is pretty blasphemous.

Um, well, and that. LDS doctrine is blasphemous. But this is about answering questions about Catholicism! Those were just anomalies!

But you guys believe God the Father was a mortal man correct? And that he had a god above him? And on and on....?  So that would explain why the baptism would be invalid.

Call it a hunch, but some little voice inside my head is suggesting that Josh is not here just to answer all our numerous questions about Catholicism that our Catholic friend, ex-Catholic board members, and a quick search of Wikipedia can't tell us. The voice is positing that Josh may be more than a little interested in telling us Latter-day Saints why we're wrong.

I suppose the established procedure is to let Josh stay for a few days or a week or two, until he proves beyond any doubt that he's agitating against "Mormonism", and then wait another week or two before doing anything. Too bad.

I hope I'm wrong. But I bet I'm not.

6 hours ago, Fether said:

Do you personally study scripture often? and if so, how do you keep it fresh? I kinda get stuck with what it is I want to study, and we have like twice as much scripture as you do haha xD

I'm pretty familiar with the Bible. When I was younger I read it all the way through. I should read it more but I admit I'm not good at keeping up with it. It's read at Mass everyweek. That's usually the extent of my exposure to the Bible weekly lol 

5 hours ago, Vort said:

How long do you have to practice before you actually become Catholic?

When I said practicing Catholic I meant I go to Mass everyweek. Holy Days, Confession monthly ect.

5 hours ago, Vort said:

Um, well, and that. LDS doctrine is blasphemous. But this is about answering questions about Catholicism! Those were just anomalies!

That's just where the conversation went. Sorry it got off track from what I originally stated. There weren't many questions asked. I was/am definitely surprised how knowledgeable posters were of Catholicism. And how many were former Catholics. I wasn't expecting that.

5 hours ago, Vort said:

Call it a hunch, but some little voice inside my head is suggesting that Josh is not here just to answer all our numerous questions about Catholicism that our Catholic friend, ex-Catholic board members, and a quick search of Wikipedia can't tell us. The voice is positing that Josh may be more than a little interested in telling us Latter-day Saints why we're wrong.

I suppose the established procedure is to let Josh stay for a few days or a week or two, until he proves beyond any doubt that he's agitating against "Mormonism", and then wait another week or two before doing anything. Too bad.

I hope I'm wrong. But I bet I'm not.

Not here to tell you why you're wrong. I'm definitely down to discuss what we disagree on. I think it's important to discuss. Especially when it gets into describing how Christianity views God and Jesus. Because the LDS Church is claiming it saved Christianity from apostasy. That it's the true Church. And the Trinity is understood incorrectly. And the Most High God had Gods above him.

2 Corinthians 11:4 
For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

5 hours ago, Vort said:

Edited by Josh H.

I'm pretty familiar with the Bible. When I was younger I read it all the way through. I should read it more but I admit I'm not good at keeping up with it. It's read at Mass everyweek. That's usually the extent of my exposure to the Bible weekly lol 

Awesome job reading the Bible all the way through.  I myself read it cover to cover* when I was younger (*ok, I skipped a little of Numbers).  Now I perter topical studies of my own and/or whatever the Sunday School lesson is that week (like this week it's some Acts chapters).

When I said practicing Catholic I meant I go to Mass everyweek. Holy Days, Confession monthly ect.

FWIW, Vort's previous statement was a word-play joke.  We knew what you meant :)  

There weren't many questions asked. I was/am definitely surprised how knowledgeable posters were of Catholicism. And how many were former Catholics. I wasn't expecting that.

I think there's two things that help with that:

1) LDS Christians are just big into talking about faith in general-- there's not really a "don't talk about religion or politics" taboo.  So when folks have a question, they just ask it.

2) There's a LOT of misconceptions about the faith of LDS Christians out there.  We each spend a lot of time answering uber-misinformed questions like "do you really have horns" or "how many moms do you have".  So naturally there arrises this want to get the facts straight about what other people believe too.  Like my studying Catholicism intensively for 11 months was just because I want to understand Catholics better (I wasn't looking to convert or anything).  

Not here to tell you why you're wrong. I'm definitely down to discuss what we disagree on. I think it's important to discuss. Especially when it gets into describing how Christianity views God and Jesus. Because the LDS Church is claiming it saved Christianity from apostasy. That it's the true Church. And the Trinity is understood incorrectly. And the Most High had God's above him.

Pro-tip: *ask* somebody what they believe, rather than trying to inform them.   Just like Catholic Christians don't like being "informed" that they are damned because they worship Mary (that's a total misconception),  LDS Christians likewise don't like it.  We're happy to straighten the record out, but listening & respectful ears go a long way.  Just like I bet you're happy when somebody is willing to listen to you explain "no I don't worship Mary".  

Straightening some important things out--

--Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints view themselves as Christians and under the larger Christian umbrella.  We acknowledge Catholics, Baptists, Orthodox, Methodists, etc as Christians.  We celebrate the many good things and good people in those faith.  No pitchforks here.

-- LDS Christians believe very strongly in Apostolic Priesthood authority and continuing revelation from God.  When we talk about the Goat Apostasy, it is referring to those keys & authority being lost (yes of course you believe the Catholic Church has them).   Without this, there were some errors that creeped in through time.  But it is NOT saying that every one who is not an LDS-Christian is a devil worshipper or anything stupid like that.  Again, see point number 1: many good things and good peolpe in those churches.   Honestly, I find a lot of similarity with how Catholics view most other Christian groups: not having valid priesthood authority, having some mistaken beliefs, but still many good things & good beliefs, and still Christian.  

-- LDS Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are three person in one God.  This differs from the Athanasian view in *how* the three are one.  This was explained more thoroughly in earlier post.  

-- We also already explained addressed the misconception on the Father's past.

This is a friendly & respectful board, not interested in pitchforks being aimed at anyone. 

Edited by Jane_Doe

10 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Pro-tip: *ask* somebody what they believe, rather than trying to inform them.   Just like Catholic Christians don't like being "informed" that they are damned because they worship Mary (that's a total misconception),  LDS Christians likewise don't like it

Pro-tip humbly taken. This is good advice.

11 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

This is a friendly & respectful board, not interested in pitchforks being aimed at anyone.

No pitchforks. But sword's are definitely cool.

Hebrews 4:12 

For the word of God is alive and active.Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow

4 minutes ago, Josh H. said:

Pro-tip humbly taken. This is good advice.

No pitchforks. But sword's are definitely cool.

Hebrews 4:12 

For the word of God is alive and active.Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow

I"m gong to refer you again to the Forum Rules, click able up top, and already posted in this thread for you.  We aren't a debate forum.  If debate is what you are interested in, I suggest http://www.mormondialogue.org

Talking and listening about things is cool (we're big into listening here, hence the pretty accurate Catholic knowledge).  But not arguing/debating.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

13 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I"m gong to refer you again to the Forum Rules, click able up top, and already posted in this thread for you.  We aren't a debate forum.  If debate is what you are interested in, I suggest http://www.mormondialogue.org

Talking and listening about things is cool (we're big into listening here, hence the pretty accurate Catholic knowledge).  But not arguing/debating.  

Thank you. I will check that site out. 

Edited by Josh H.

18 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Several of us (including me) are on Catholic boards as well.  I've had many many great Catholic friends over the years, semi-studied the Catholic church for a decade, and hard-core studied it for a year.

What are your biggest objections to Catholicism? Don't worry about offending me. I have my own list. Yours won't bother me. It's took everything in me to deal with the child sexual abuse and cover-ups. That's at the top of mine.

Edited by Josh H.

This is from Jimmy Aikins Mysterious World. It's a great podcast on different mysterious subjects. This episode is:  Joseph Smith, Mormon Prophet 

"Joseph Smith reported receiving divine revelations in the early 1800s, and eventually became the founder of the Mormon religion and his prophecies now influence the lives of millions. Jimmy and Dom consider the evidence concerning Smith’s claims to be a prophet."

The video is objective and there is no bashing in it. Ban me if I'm lying. It's 1hr and 15 minutes long. Take a listen. All the other episodes are good as well. A lot of different topics. 

https://jimmyakin.com/2019/07/joseph-smith-mormon-prophet-jimmy-akins-mysterious-world.html

The podcast is at the bottom of the page.

Edited by Josh H.

13 minutes ago, Serviteur du seigneur said:

I live in the most catholic country in the world, yet i do not know some things. What do you believe will happen after death?

Judgment immediately after death. Will find out if we are damned to hell. If not then we either go to purgatory or heaven. Most people purgatory first. Then after that the 2nd judgment where the Saints get glorified ressurcted bodies and rewards for their good works on earth. Those who end up in hell get bodies as well.

Edited by Josh H.

Jimmy and Dom consider the evidence concerning Smith’s claims to be a prophet.

I doubt anyone here is interested in someone else's analysis of our religion; especially someone who is not an active member in good standing.  All aspects of religion that involve establishing veracity are subjective, so an objective analysis will always by default be flawed.  Experience with the Holy Spirit is 100% individual and subjective and no amount of objective analysis could be adequate in and of itself.  Through the lens of objectivity, all religions fail because, as you posted earlier, 'God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit. . .'

Anyway, you asked about biggest objections to Catholicism.  To me, the scandals that have occurred do not have a role in establishing veracity.  As you will learn from others here, veracity is established by proper priesthood authority from Jesus Christ, and the only proper way to confirm veracity is a witness from the Spirit of God.  Knowledge and information is useful in the process, but ultimately insufficient.  Take for example the story of Philip and the Eunuch:

And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go . . .And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch . . . sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.  And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. . . And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?  Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.  And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? . . . they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
(Acts 8: 26 - 38) emphasis added

The Eunuch may have been a very astute individual, but I guarantee that he didn't base his decision to be baptized on an objective analysis; he recognized the Spirit of God as Philip taught him and he desired to act upon it.  Objectivity would have been the tool of the Pharisees and Sadducees back then to dissuade themselves and others from having 'ears to hear'.

Moroni (the son of the prophet, Mormon, who compiled the majority of the Book of Mormon) included the instructions that one should read the book, then pray and ask God, in the name of Jesus Christ, for a confirmation of the veracity of the book and its message.  Said confirmation is delivered to the sincere petitioner by the power of the Holy Ghost.  This is the method by which Latter-Day Saints determine veracity, and we believe it is the method all should ultimately use.  Sure, I have qualms with  certain Catholic doctrines, but that is not why I don't believe them.  I don't believe them because I have already received a confirmation by the Spirit of God concerning the veracity of the Restored Gospel, the Book of Mormon, the Prophet Joseph Smith and his successors.  I reject those things for which I cannot get a confirmation by the Spirit of God.

Edited by person0