Hi Practicing Catholic Ask Me Anything

Josh H.

5 hours ago, Josh H. said:

What are your biggest objections to Catholicism? Don't worry about offending me. I have my own list. Yours won't bother me. It's took everything in me to deal with the child sexual abuse and cover-ups. That's at the top of mine.

Ultimately the biggest thing in the epistemological (the extreme appeal to history) just don't hold water for me as a methodology or the results of said methodology.    

It is a tragically sad thing, but doesn't remotely impact my assessment of Catholicism as a faith.   

To be positive note: highlights include rich cultural traditions, honoring those that came before, acknowledging the need for authority, and anything that encourages a person's relationship with Christ. 

A better question to ask though-- rather than asking "why are you not Catholic" is "why are you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints?"   For me, it's because this is where God tell me to go and where His Truth is.  So it's where I go.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

4 hours ago, Josh H. said:

What are your biggest objections to Catholicism? Don't worry about offending me. I have my own list. Yours won't bother me. It's took everything in me to deal with the child sexual abuse and cover-ups. That's at the top of mine.

I know this wasn't addressed to me but I'd like to chime in.

I was born and raised Catholic by very devout Catholic parents - as in, my father built a chapel in our village and was able to get a priest to say mass there every Sunday.  He was so devout that when he died, a mass was held at his wake every single day for nine days until his burial.  Some of the masses were concelebrated with a bishop as there were a lot more than 9 priests who wanted to hold it.  Each mass had a different choir.  Anyway... I went to Catholic Schools from Kindergarten through college graduation.  I super love the Catholic Church.  English is not my first language, so I might be getting the wrong connotation for the word "objection".  But, I'm not sure that's the word I would use.  Let's just say, I rebelled against the Church in my teen-age years (I was a strong-willed, hard-headed know-it-all in my teens) because I felt the priests and nuns wouldn't answer my questions.  Like - so, if God created us and He is All Knowing, then He knew when He created somebody that he is going to hell, so why would He create a person just so he could suffer in hell?  Anyway, the priests and nuns talk to me about it but I wasn't satisfied (and I was a belligerent kid pushing the boundaries of authority) and so the priest would tell me I'm more concerned about philosophy than faith or some such... anyway, I went through a period where I was telling everybody I was an atheist (because, teen-ager).  Anyway, I grew out of that and did my major confession.  But the questions lingered that I just kept in the backburner until they got answered when I studied LDS teachings.

26 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

so, if God created us and He is All Knowing, then He knew when He created somebody that he is going to hell, so why would He create a person just so he could suffer in hell?

Interestingly, my primary logic based 'objection' is what I see as the root cause of this conundrum.  The mainstream doctrine of creation ex-nihilo, in my mind, is the foundation upon which efforts to adequately answer that question ultimately fail 100% of the time.

13 hours ago, Josh H. said:

What are your biggest objections to Catholicism? Don't worry about offending me. 

We don't argue against or bash other faiths here.  (Except perhaps dangerous ones like Warren Jeffs' polygamous cult, and maybe scientologists.)  This is a forum to learn about the restored church of Jesus Christ, not a forum to talk about what's wrong with Catholicism.

From our Articles of Faith:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Edited by NeuroTypical

12 hours ago, Josh H. said:

Judgment immediately after death. Will find out if we are damned to hell. If not then we either go to purgatory or heaven. Most people purgatory first. Then after that the 2nd judgment where the Saints get glorified ressurcted bodies and rewards for their good works on earth. Those who end up in hell get bodies as well.

Not bad, it makes some sense.

Catholic rap.  And good, high quality music at that.  I truly enjoy folks like this guy devoting their copious talents towards their faith. I wish the world had a greater appetite for such things.

Well, you can count this little latter-day saint boy as a Found Nation fan.  We don't align perfectly on various theology and doctrine, but the world is better with this stuff in it.

Go a little easy on the open proselytizing though, please @Josh H.  The people who pay for thirdhour.org do not intend it to be a mouthpiece for Catholic evangelism.   Even if only people with their artistic sensibilities turned up to 11 notice it.

11 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Go a little easy on the open proselytizing though, please @Josh H.  The people who pay for thirdhour.org do not intend it to be a mouthpiece for Catholic evangelism.

I noticed this as well.  I especially find it interesting that the question/answer discussion ended and switched to blatant proselyting.  That said, better to have ended than to have needed to be terminated by a moderator 🙂

On 8/8/2019 at 9:45 PM, Josh H. said:

I'm definitely down to discuss what we disagree on. I think it's important to discuss. Especially when it gets into describing how Christianity views God and Jesus.

You mean "describing how trinitarian Christianity" views the trinity, right?

You can say trinitarian Christianity, you can even say the majority of Christians.  But drawing a circle around what you think Christianity believes about deity, and making sure we're outside your circle?  Cool rhetoric bro, but excuse me if I call foul.  Especially when you can find so many obviously non-trinitarian beliefs held by so many Early Christian Fathers, and so much support for non-trinitarian concepts in the bible.

Edited by NeuroTypical