Question on immigration. Does this sound right?

carlimac

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

In other words, I do not know of any country who will not recognize a child born to their citizens as a citizen regardless of the place the child was birthed in.

I thought that was the case in some Middle Eastern countries (Yemen comes to mind and is a TPS), but looking it up it seems confusing.  It seems that in some countries such as Yemen, it isn't automatic?  

Edited by Scott

9 hours ago, Scott said:

I thought that was the case in some Middle Eastern countries (Yemen comes to mind and is a TPS), but looking it up it seems confusing.  It seems that in some countries such as Yemen, it isn't automatic?  

I googled Yemen citizenship.  They follow the Islamic sanguine tradition of patrilineal descent - tribal membership is conferred through the blood of the father.  If your father is Yemeni and your mother isn't, you're Yemeni regardless of place of birth.  But if you have a Yemeni mother and a non-Yemeni father, Yemen assumes your citizenship to follow that of the father if you're not born in Yemen.  But if the father denies the child citizenship, or the father is unknown, the child automatically becomes Yemeni.  In any case, Yemen doesn't deny residency to children of Yemeni mothers regardless of the presence or absence of rights from their fathers, and after 10 years of living in Yemen, the child can apply for Yemeni citizenship if he didn't have one.

• 4 weeks later...

@carlimac The wonderful thing about this country is that whenever we discover a flaw in our laws we can change them.  Ignoring laws - especially because of someone's race is by definition biggitted and racial.  Likewise giving preference to persons of specific countries (or cultures) is also the very definition  of prejudice and bigotry.   The fact that over the last 60+ years more spanish speaking individuals have been allowed into the country than any other demographic (especially outside the established laws) is by defination biggitted and racial. 

The Traveler