Seven Archangels (esoteric stuff)

mikbone

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/bd/dispensations?lang=eng

The Bible suggests at least one dispensation identified with Adam, another with Enoch, another with Noah, and so on with Abraham, Moses, and Jesus with His Apostles in the meridian of time. Paul writes of “the dispensation of the fulness of times” in which the Lord will “gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth” (Eph. 1:10). The fulness of times is the final dispensation and began with the revelation of the gospel to Joseph Smith. It is a dispensation of restoration and of fulfillment of the Lord’s plans and purposes since the world began. There are also things reserved for the fulness of times that have not been revealed previously (D&C 121:26–32; 124:41).

From the Bible Dictionary published by the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS.

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/bd/dispensations?lang=eng

The Bible suggests at least one dispensation identified with Adam, another with Enoch, another with Noah, and so on with Abraham, Moses, and Jesus with His Apostles in the meridian of time. Paul writes of “the dispensation of the fulness of times” in which the Lord will “gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth” (Eph. 1:10). The fulness of times is the final dispensation and began with the revelation of the gospel to Joseph Smith. It is a dispensation of restoration and of fulfillment of the Lord’s plans and purposes since the world began. There are also things reserved for the fulness of times that have not been revealed previously (D&C 121:26–32; 124:41).

From the Bible Dictionary published by the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS.

I already noted that reference.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:58 PM, mordorbund said:

The Bible Dictionary lists 7 dispensations, but then goes on to list 3 others, then says maybe 2 more, and finally suggests 9 other candidates.

• 3 years later...

The angels in revelation are as follows:

Adam

Enoch

Noah

Abraham

Moses

Joseph Smith Jr.

Elias (prophet immediately preceeding millennium). D&C 77 defines the 7th angel *who appears in Rev. 10* as Elias.

It's not about "dispensations."

This model follows chapters 2 & 3 where John writes letters to these angels (or servants of the church in Lydia/modern-day-Turkey who symbolize these angels)

John's Revelation repeatedly references these individuals in this order when chronology is relevant: Adam, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Joseph Smith Jr., and Elias. When chronology is irrelevant like in chapters 2-3, their order is reversed to be a hierarchical succession: Elias, Joseph Smith Jr., Moses, Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Adam.

Okay, you're probably wondering, 'Who is Elias? And why does he fit into this model? Each of the former prophets are rhetorically expressed through common themes. Here are the fundamental definitions of these themes.

Adam- Creation, Existence, and opposition to pride.

Enoch- Foreshadow, desires, passions, and opposition to adverse emotion (most often wrath).

Noah- Action, ministry, work, and opposition to sloth.

Abraham- Nobility, authority, partial fulfillment, and opposition to envy.

Moses- Reevaluation, references to Exodus and Deuteronomy, initiation towards holiness, and opposition to gluttony.

Joseph Smith Jr.- Endowment, Knowledge, reception of gifts, and opposition to greed.

Now, Elias has his own theme also- sabbath, rest, connection to spirit/God (hence preparing the way before the coming of the Lord). He is in opposition to lust. Not "sexual temptation." This general and original definition of Lust is unbridled passion or overzealousness.

Elias also reprises the themes of all the former prophets. In chapter 10, John describes the angel he sees. Each of the characteristics attributed to Elias represent the mantle of the former prophets.

There is plenty of support for this model, but due to my late entry to this conversation, any who see and want to understand more (with references and more context) please leave a reply.

Edited by M. Evan Bullard
Removal of email address. I read the rules after posting.

The Book of Revelation talks about 7 seals - It has been my understanding that the seven seals references 7 dispensations and 7 1,000 year periods of earth history.  It is also my understanding that Moroni sounds the 7th trump opening the 7th seal.  This is why Moroni is atop many temples with a trump.  I am not sure how all this fits and I cannot say with certainity that the Moroni symbol has occured or not.  But I do plan to listen closely to this thread discussion.  I do believe something important relating to all this is about to happen.

The Traveler

• 7 months later...