USA Economy

mikbone

Very sad if true, but it does sound a little fishy. For starters, how would Markopolos, a man working for several unnamed hedge funds, have access to GE's internal financial data?

Regardless of the outcome, this is one reason why the stock market is a gamble, and it would be best for everyone to become self-sufficient now and in the future to help mitigate fallout from corruption.

I was involved in the automation of a GE plant in Virginia - that operates just like every other corporate entity (some good with some bad).  In addition I have been a little more concerned with GE ever since I learned they got involved in the personal disputes (and legal rangaling) between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla and sadly picked the wrong side.  But this was like two generations ago.

As far as the general economy - I believe the best economic advice for all Saints of all eras is ----- {drum roll}  --- STAY OUT OF DEBT!  And in the case of thoses not paying attention to history. To the person - there was not one individual that apostatized from the early church because of the Kirtland Safety Society that did not speculate and create enough debt to ruin them completely when the Kirtland Safety Society failed and went under.  They thought that the church would save them regardless of their personal economic foolishness and despite the spiritual blessing they had been given.  This apostasy included both counselors in the first presidency and half of the apostles.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

19 hours ago, scottyg said:

Regardless of the outcome, this is one reason why the stock market is a gamble, 

Stock markets CAN be a gamble for gamblers.  But for those who know what they're doing stock markets are a good way to make your money work for you instead of you working for money.  Your money can make good money regardless of the direction of the market - up or down.

15 hours ago, Traveler said:

As far as the general economy - I believe the best economic advice for all Saints of all eras is ----- {drum roll}  --- STAY OUT OF DEBT! 

I'm gonna amend this.  Best economic advice - Provident Living.  Staying out of debt is one of its characteristics.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Stock markets CAN be a gamble for gamblers.  But for those who know what they're doing stock markets are a good way to make your money work for you instead of you working for money.  Your money can make good money regardless of the direction of the market - up or down.

I agree, it's just important to not put all of your eggs in one basket...to not rely fully on the stock market for retirement. You never know when large up's or down's may occur...or when a company may go bankrupt and the value of your shares go kaput.

The US is the greatest and richest country in the world, and will continue to be this in the foreseeable future.  It is very unlikely any country will overtake the US anytime soon, due to us having the rule of law and in the case of Asian nations, their wide cultural differences that are incompatible with greatness.

The US stock market S&P 500, on average over the last 100+ years has yielded 8% with dividends reinvested.  This is likely to continue  A diversified stock portfolio is one of the best investments one can make.

This is by far, the best country in the world. 

8 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

The US is the greatest and richest country in the world, and will continue to be this in the foreseeable future. 

We are not the richest country in the world, at least per capita.  We haven't been for a long time.

The US is still great though.