And they all found joy and peace

So, Brian David Mitchell has to change the way he prefers to “love” because he’s a freak of nature, but Ed Smart doesn’t have to change the way he prefers to love because God doesn’t make mistakes.  

Bigot.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

18 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

So, Brian David Mitchell has to change the way he prefers to “love” because he’s a freak of nature, but Ed Smart doesn’t have to change the way he prefers to love because God doesn’t make mistakes.  

Bigot.

Who is Brian David Mitchell and why should I care about Him?

5 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

Who is Brian David Mitchell and why should I care about Him?

He was Elizabeth Smart's abductor and rapist.  @Just_A_Guy is using Ed Smart's words/description of his daughters tormentor to highlight his current hypocrisy.  While there are clear differences between the two cases, God only has one standard when it comes to sexual relationships.  Ed is now just as much a violator of that standard as was BDM.

1 hour ago, estradling75 said:

He was Elizabeth Smart's abductor and rapist.  @Just_A_Guy is using Ed Smart's words/description of his daughters tormentor to highlight his current hypocrisy.  While there are clear differences between the two cases, God only has one standard when it comes to sexual relationships.  Ed is now just as much a violator of that standard as was BDM.

Right.  If one concludes—as Smart alleges—that one’s sexual orientation is God-given and that God wouldn’t give us a sexual proclivity and then tell us not to act on it because doing so would make him a big meanie—ya gotta apply that to everyone

And that doesn’t even get into the despicable action of blowing up your family and ditching your wife of forty years merely because you no longer find her physically attractive, which—gay or straight—is an utterly evil thing to do.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

31 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

And that doesn’t even get into the despicable action of blowing up your family and ditching your wife of forty years merely because you no longer find her physically attractive, which—gay or straight—is an utterly evil thing to do.

This ☝️

Covenants were made. Does he believe it’s on to break covenants with God when he finds something he thinks is better?

Folks, we don't know the whole story.  We don't know if the wife's position - divorcing could be her idea, or a joint thing.  It happens.  The one or two accounts of similar split ups of which I'm aware, have had divorce be a joint thing.   First account is from a couple who used to be in my ward, she filed.  Second account was Josh Weed.

We do know, according to what was originally written in this article, he did not intend the letter to go public, and removed it quickly.  Not the brightest thing to do, posting something on Facebook that you don't want known, but there it is.

If Elizabeth Smart went through nine months of sheer hell, I think Ed Smart suffered through a different kind of hell during that period, perhaps one even more bitter than his daughter's. He was the one who hired his daughter's kidnapper and rapist and allowed him into his house, all in an apparent effort to be Christlike. How could Ed Smart not have blamed himself? What sort of twisting effect would such an experience have on his (or anyone else's) mind?

I have great sympathy for Ed Smart. I do not condone his actions in any possible way; I think it's shameful that a man older than me would up and leave his wife in order to follow his gonadal urges. I suspect that his actions, if not quickly repented of, will have a deeper, longer-lasting negative effect on his family even than his daughter's horrific experience, both now and in succeeding generations. But I'll withhold personal condemnation. I wouldn't trade places with the guy for all the gold in Fort Knox.

My take on this:

This dude has been lying to God, himself and his family for decades.

He is a priesthood holder, and has taken covenants in the Temple of the Lord.  He has no intention of keeping the covenants that he has made.

He is breaking multiple commandments (I, II, VII, IX, & X) without shame.  He has convinced himself that it is his right to break commandments...

He just made this huge announcement to gain applaud and sympathy from the world.  While bringing shame to his family and the church.  What a selfish individual who never learned anything about sacrifice despite being taught such principles as a member of the Latter-Day Saint.  

Notice that although the announcement is recent, his wife filed for divorce back in July 5th.  Which obviously means that she has been considering the option of divorce for likely a long time...

I wouldn't be surprised if he has been sleeping around with other men, gave his wife a STD, and got caught.  

Many might think that I am judgmental and that I am wrong to have such thoughts.  I totally disagree.  I am not his judge (although I wish I was...)  We each have the Light of Christ and should use the power of discernment to understand what is going on around ourselves and our families.  

I knew eventually this topic might come up when I saw the articles. I have worked with great people who are gay, but I have two concerns:

1. Why is this news? Is it going to be front page news every time somebody announces a sexually oriented change in their life? Some matters are left private.

2. It sorrows me that so many people associate being "true" to themselves with their physical nature and not their spiritual nature.  Being true to yourself is recognizing that your body is just a shell and that the "true" you is an eternal spirit son or daughter of God.

I am sympathetic to the difficult situation a person with same-sex attraction endures, but I see it as no different from the situations for many wonderful single members of the church who never marry in this life for various reasons. They have physical desires that they long to fulfill, but they can't without offending God.

The "acceptance" line of reasoning being used by so many people announcing they are coming out also troubles me.  If heterosexual men and women followed that same pattern of reasoning, most would have to say that they can no longer accept being in monogamous marriages because God made them with physical desires for more than one man or more than one woman, and they need to be true and accept their natures. To me this is a false doctrine that substitutes God-given physical desires for God-given commandments.  Carnal desires are not commandments, and following them outside the law of chastity can only lead to unhappiness in the eternities.

49 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Folks, we don't know the whole story.  We don't know if the wife's position - divorcing could be her idea, or a joint thing.  It happens.  The one or two accounts of similar split ups of which I'm aware, have had divorce be a joint thing.   First account is from a couple who used to be in my ward, she filed.  Second account was Josh Weed.

Fair point, but I would also note that in some of the stories we do know—we don’t actually have the straight (abandoned) spouse’s direct story; we have the gay (deadbeat adulterer) spouse publicly assuring us that his victim is just fine with all this (really!); and the victim declines to supplement the record publicly (and even if she did offer a rebuttal and ringing condemnation of her ex’s covenant-breaking and profligacy, I think we know that society today would mostly look at her as being the selfish one).  Yes, divorce is complicated; but at the end of the day Ed himself attributes his divorce to his desire to have a sexual relationship with a person/people other than his wife.  He didn’t have to cite that motive specifically—but he did.  

Second:  I wouldn’t read too much into who actually filed for the divorce.  Once a couple separates, the man—with his typically higher earning power—can afford to stay in a holding pattern for months or even years without the legalities ever being addressed.  A woman who is dependent on whatever her husband gives her and finds herself suddenly cast off with five kids to support and only qualified for a minimum-wage job, can’t afford to wait; and that’s one reason women are often the filers.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

40 minutes ago, Vort said:

If Elizabeth Smart went through nine months of sheer hell, I think Ed Smart suffered through a different kind of hell during that period, perhaps one even more bitter than his daughter's. He was the one who hired his daughter's kidnapper and rapist and allowed him into his house, all in an apparent effort to be Christlike. How could Ed Smart not have blamed himself? What sort of twisting effect would such an experience have on his (or anyone else's) mind?

I have great sympathy for Ed Smart. I do not condone his actions in any possible way; I think it's shameful that a man older than me would up and leave his wife in order to follow his gonadal urges. I suspect that his actions, if not quickly repented of, will have a deeper, longer-lasting negative effect on his family even than his daughter's horrific experience, both now and in succeeding generations. But I'll withhold personal condemnation. I wouldn't trade places with the guy for all the gold in Fort Knox.

Fair point.  But I think when we come at this primarily from an analysis of his frame of mind, we run the risk of indulging in the same sinner-centric universe that the sinner himself is living in and doing a disservice to those the sinner has harmed.

The Smart’s marriage was never just about Ed, and neither is their divorce, and neither are Ed’s sexuality or his other life-choices.  If we think Ed is hurting, let us also spare a moment for Lois (who feels all the pain he does, plus more) and his kids—all of whom will be expected to conceal their pain and express “support” as an “ally” so that caddish Ed can feel validated with his rotten life choices. 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

5 hours ago, clwnuke said:

I am sympathetic to the difficult situation a person with same-sex attraction endures

The difficult situation of not being able to have illicit sex with all the people to whom you're sexually attracted without it being a sin?

Boo freakin' hoo.

5 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The difficult situation of not being able to have illicit sex with all the people to whom you're sexually attracted without it being a sin?

Boo freakin' hoo.

Agreed. I hate how the world trashes a man if he leaves his wife and ruins his family for another woman, but if he comes out as gay and leaves her for another man he is hailed as a brave hero.

Even if my orientation or preferences changed, there is NO WAY I would ever do what he did.  Maybe it's my generation, but we did NOT make promises (well some did, and they got divorces) that we intended to break.  Marriage is FAR more than simply following the urges of one's primitive instincts, it is one where you are loyal and faithful to the one you promised to.  It doesn't matter WHAT you have changed, you stay loyal the Lord and your spouse. 

However, we all must make choices in this life and choose for ourselves whom we will follow and what commandments we will abide.  From what I gather he has chosen to separate himself from following the Lord and the church, and to instead follow what he feels is his own heart and feelings.  It is probably incredibly painful for all involved.

Some would consider his actions brave and notable, others will consider his abandonment of his marriage despicable.  In the end we can only hope the best results come out for him and his family, for they, not we, are the ones that truly have to live with the consequences of his decisions and choices.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:02 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

Right.  If one concludes—as Smart alleges—that one’s sexual orientation is God-given and that God wouldn’t give us a sexual proclivity and then tell us not to act on it because doing so would make him a big meanie—ya gotta apply that to everyone

I agree.  I don't know why it is so hard to understand that it is as a result of the Fall of Adam and Eve that we have the bodies we have and all their associated carnal passions. Why do people in the Church, people that know the Plan of Salvation, still believe that if a person was born a certain way that that is how God intended it to be as opposed to that particular drive is produced by having a body that is fallen and could go against and even opposite of what that person's spirit would want. 

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Being "born that way" is not an excuse or an argument for anything that goes against the spirit. Like Elder Bednar said; "The very elements out of which our bodies were created are by nature fallen and ever subject to the pull of sin, corruption, and death. Consequently, the Fall of Adam and its spiritual and temporal consequences affect us most directly through our physical bodies."    .... so, yeah, don't use the excuse that God made me that way, then one would be saying that God created the natural pull of sin, corruption and death.  That only comes from not really understanding what happened as a result of the Fall to each of us.