Church rolls out mandatory training on protecting youth

NeuroTypical

I am very happy to see this.

Church Newsroom: Church Launches Protection Training for Leaders of Children and Youth.

In a notice sent to Church leadership in the United States and Canada, the Church asks that all Latter-day Saints with the following congregational assignments complete the training:
- Stake and district presidencies, bishoprics and branch presidencies
- High councilors
- Stake, district, ward, and branch Primary, Young Women, Young Men and Sunday School and Relief Society presidencies; elders quorum presidencies
- Secretaries, teachers, advisers, camp leaders, activity day leaders, music leaders, pianists and others serving in positions in the Primary, Young Women and Young Men organizations
- Teachers of youth Sunday School and seminary classes
In addition to those working with children and youth, parents and others are encouraged to complete the training.

Training and FAQ link
In Crisis? Talk now - links from the church website to CPS and the major national hotlines and helplines for domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault, crime.  RAINN too.  Also things for New Zealand and the Philippeans.

I just took the training.  It's good.   Very good day in the kingdom.

Edited by NeuroTypical

38 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Very good day in the kingdom.

Or a very sad day....depending on how one views it.

I can't exactly see the scriptures, if being written in our day, saying anything other than something like, "And behold, the people were so corrupt that it was requisite that they did commence mandatory training for the leaders of the church."

On the other hand, said scripture could be followed up with something like, "And thus we see that the Lord doth provide for His church."

So, yeah. A good day -- but a sad one too.

38 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I can't exactly see the scriptures, if being written in our day, saying anything other than something like, "And behold, the people were so corrupt that it was requisite that they did commence mandatory training for the leaders of the church."

Oh, I dunno, OT, NT, BoM, D&C - all have their parts dealing with behavior of those who people the church.  The Lord has always been aware that His church is peopled with, well, people. 

I need to take it very soon.  Seems as if it is mandatory. 

A question of odd sorts, perhaps evil.  If one does not take the training does that mean they are released from their calling.  Thus if one was theoretically a Bishop or in the Bishopric, would not taking the training (by simple ignorance of computers we'll say, not being outright malicious) be a way to get released post haste?

@JohnsonJones My sample size is admittedly small, but I don't recall anyone being released from a BSA related calling because they failed to take BSA's YPT. There was a constant nagging to take the training, but I don't recall anyone being released (or issued an ultimatum to take the training by a certain date or get released). My cynical expectation is that the Church is going to continue the same trend -- nag and nag, but never insist or else.

I would hope that someone who cannot take the training due to technological ignorance or inadequate hardware would speak up and find someone to help. I would also hope that someone who just doesn't want to take the training would also say so (and not accept the calling) rather than accepting the calling and simply not watching the video.

51 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

@JohnsonJones My sample size is admittedly small, but I don't recall anyone being released from a BSA related calling because they failed to take BSA's YPT. There was a constant nagging to take the training, but I don't recall anyone being released (or issued an ultimatum to take the training by a certain date or get released). My cynical expectation is that the Church is going to continue the same trend -- nag and nag, but never insist or else.

I would hope that someone who cannot take the training due to technological ignorance or inadequate hardware would speak up and find someone to help. I would also hope that someone who just doesn't want to take the training would also say so (and not accept the calling) rather than accepting the calling and simply not watching the video.

There is NO REQUIREMENT to take any training to be called into any scout leadership position including Scout Master in an LDS troop.  This has been a source of frustration for a lot of troops when they call a totally green person to be a Scout Master who doesn't even know what Merit Badges are.

@anatess2 Perhaps I have misunderstood BSA's requirement. Several years ago, when I was first called to the Cub Scouts, they insisted that I get my certificate for having taken the YPT before they sustained me. In theory, BSA did not want anyone actually working with the boys until after they had finished the YPT. I don't know. You may be right - that I interpreted the requirement incorrectly, but it seems that -- while BSA may tolerate a very low training threshold as far as knowledge of and commitment to the program is concerned -- they are trying to be very strict about the YPT.

An interesting thing I see in this training, is the clarity of the direction to call authorities.  If you're a YW adviser, and you "learn of abuse" (say, a YW comes to you saying her dad hit her), you are to 1- believe her, 2-call the cops, and 3- also tell the bishop.   

image.png.dacb62333e479cd0bafff69f622c6675.png

image.png.ff6caff221ea7f65a254fa879d737612.png

So no, you don't tell the bishop and have him call the cops, you call the cops yourself.  This is an important and weighty bit of direction that I haven't seen so clearly put before.  (I've never been involved in scouts, so maybe it's been there a while and I've just never seen it.)

6 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Technically these two options are not mutually exclusive. One could be suspicious that a kid is making stuff up to get attention and still take them seriously and not ask questions about it actually happening or not.

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

An interesting thing I see in this training, is the clarity of the direction to call authorities.  If you're a YW adviser, and you "learn of abuse" (say, a YW comes to you saying her dad hit her), you are to 1- believe her, 2-call the cops, and 3- also tell the bishop.   

So no, you don't tell the bishop and have him call the cops, you call the cops yourself.  This is an important and weighty bit of direction that I haven't seen so clearly put before.  (I've never been involved in scouts, so maybe it's been there a while and I've just never seen it.)

Hehe...  I was just going to say that I just took the training and there wasn't really anything "new"  But you are right this does seem to be much more clear.

So I have taken it and now somewhere in a church database there is a little flag saying I have taken it...  The cynical side of me says now the church is legally covered if I screw up at some point (which I clearly hope that I do not)..  And then the more faithful side hears the cynical side and responds "And so???  That is a bad thing how?"

12 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

This is in fact how is has always supposed to have been handled. Because members of the church understand the priesthood and respect those in authority, many LDS people fall into this trap/belief that the Bishop is in charge of everything that takes place within the ward boundaries, and needs to have the final say on everything. They are good people, but just expect to be led about too often. The Bishop does not direct your life. Can this issue be a church issue...yes. However, it is also a legal one. Outside of the church this wouldn't even be a question - people hear about abuse, they notify the police. Unless you really have no idea what to do, there is no reason one should go to the Bishop first with news of abuse, let alone expect him to do something about it, or give you direction. Adults need to be adults and think for themselves. Law enforcement first, then notify local clergy leaders to help rally support for the victim and the aggrieved as appropriate.

20 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

12 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Technically these two options are not mutually exclusive. One could be suspicious that a kid is making stuff up to get attention and still take them seriously and not ask questions about it actually happening or not.

It is important to note that bishops and their counselors may have exemptions from reporting requirements in some jurisdictions. But only those three people have the possibility of those exemptions (at least in the U.S.). One of the reasons bishoprics call the Church's abuse hotline is to discuss whether the clergy-penitent privilege applies in the jurisdiction or in the situation, and whether the bishop(ric) can/should/or wants to waive the privilege and report anyway. 

Other leaders in the ward don't have clergy-penitent privilege and may be mandated reporters. If a youth leader were to report that they had learned of abuse, reported it to the bishopric, and then figured, "well, the bishopric will handle it now"--and then the bishopric chooses not to report--that can leave the youth leader on the hook for failure to report.  That can be unpleasant.

This is something I actually intend to bring up in our Ward Council meeting and make clear. While a leader may choose to consult the bishop when they learn of an abusive situation (sometimes you need the moral support), both bishop and other leader should be clear that the other leader is expected to file a report of the abuse.

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I need to take it very soon.  Seems as if it is mandatory. 

A question of odd sorts, perhaps evil.  If one does not take the training does that mean they are released from their calling.  Thus if one was theoretically a Bishop or in the Bishopric, would not taking the training (by simple ignorance of computers we'll say, not being outright malicious) be a way to get released post haste?

This is precisely what I'm arguing for in my ward. Consider, if something were to happen to a child at the hand of or under the supervision of an untrained adult, and it were found that the bishopric did not enforce the policy that all leaders receive this training. Guess who is now liable*.....

Quite frankly, anyone who is so inconvenienced and put out by a 30 minute video every three years doesn't deserve the privilege of working with youth or children. 

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, MarginOfError said:

Quite frankly, anyone who is so inconvenienced and put out by a 30 minute video every three years doesn't deserve the privilege of working with youth or children. 

My thoughts completely. 

5 hours ago, MrShorty said:

@anatess2 Perhaps I have misunderstood BSA's requirement. Several years ago, when I was first called to the Cub Scouts, they insisted that I get my certificate for having taken the YPT before they sustained me. In theory, BSA did not want anyone actually working with the boys until after they had finished the YPT. I don't know. You may be right - that I interpreted the requirement incorrectly, but it seems that -- while BSA may tolerate a very low training threshold as far as knowledge of and commitment to the program is concerned -- they are trying to be very strict about the YPT.

In theory you need to be registered.  In order for the Scout office in our area to register anyone they need to see that they have Youth Protection.  This is applied even beyond Cubmasters, Scoutmasters and Den Leaders.  It also applies to EO, CORs, and Committee members.  That said, if you do not include someone on the charter when you chartered and never actually registered them in the Scout Council, but called them, they would still be in the calling.  Thus, though not registered on the actual council rolls, they would be placed in the calling on the church rolls.

I have been guilty of doing the charter at times and simply glossing over it when I couldn't get a particular leader to take the training (or, as the scout office requires SS numbers for backgrounds checks, if a member did not feel comfortable with that and refused to include it on their application) in years past.  I hope that I have improved in recent times and normally will just release the individual and call another...though it can be particularly hard at times to find those willing to be Scout Leaders.

I have done my YPT as it is required (actually, normally more than is required) so I'm almost guaranteed I'm going to do the Church's training...but had the very wicked thought of a what if???

As this is connected to one's membership, this could be more mandatory in the future.  I expect as the deadline is shortly before the fireside, we will get further guidance then on those who have not completed the training.

8 hours ago, MrShorty said:

@JohnsonJones <snip>  I would hope that someone who cannot take the training due to technological ignorance or inadequate hardware would speak up and find someone to help. I would also hope that someone who just doesn't want to take the training would also say so (and not accept the calling) rather than accepting the calling and simply not watching the video.

8 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

<snip>   A question of odd sorts, perhaps evil.  If one does not take the training does that mean they are released from their calling.  Thus if one was theoretically a Bishop or in the Bishopric, would not taking the training (by simple ignorance of computers we'll say, not being outright malicious) be a way to get released post haste?

In the letter sent to me Dated Aug 16, 2019  From Priesthood and Family Department  Subject Children and Youth Protection Training.  The next to last paragraph states:  Stake presidents and bishops are responsible to ensure that, as needed, help and resources are available for members to access and complete the training.  My Bishopric added in the email that Members in these positions who do not have or use computers will be assisted by their leaders to take the course at the church. Over the pulpit the Bishop announced this, and asked that ALL adults take and complete this training. According to my husband [SS President] in the Ward Council, the Bishop requested that all in attendance ensure that those they have stewardship over take and complete this training.

Husband asked that I take it also - even though my calling is not included - - T&FHC - - there could be times when I am instructing the youth. So, I will take it within the next couple of days.

I just read the letter again and realized that I missed that it included a deadline for those currently serving. We are supposed to have this done by 22 Sept.  

I guess I'm sending out an e-mail with new instructions today. 

And now I'm mad at all of you for not pointing out my error!  :D

13 hours ago, MarginOfError said:

I just read the letter again and realized that I missed that it included a deadline for those currently serving. We are supposed to have this done by 22 Sept.  

I guess I'm sending out an e-mail with new instructions today. 

And now I'm mad at all of you for not pointing out my error!  :D

I did point out that there was a deadline, though admittedly I did not say exactly when it was.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:43 AM, MrShorty said:

My sample size is admittedly small, but I don't recall anyone being released from a Boy Scouts of America related calling because they failed to take BSA's YPT. There was a constant nagging to take the training, but I don't recall anyone being released (or issued an ultimatum to take the training by a certain date or get released). My cynical expectation is that the Church is going to continue the same trend -- nag and nag, but never insist or else.

I hated the Youth Safety Training I was required to take when I was in Cub Scouts because the website did not work.  This was tried on multiple operating systems with multiple web browsers.  I finally took it on a Macintosh and managed to get the website to work but we would often have to reload the webpages because they would keep freezing up or not loading.  Hopefully the church can implement a website that works unlike the Scouts.

On 8/19/2019 at 12:36 PM, anatess2 said:

they call a totally green person to be a Scout Master who doesn't even know what Merit Badges are.

Just imagine how it looks to real Scouts when said totally green person digs out his old uniform to get his Eagle patch off of it. 

6 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Just imagine how it looks to real Scouts when said totally green person digs out his old uniform to get his Eagle patch off of it. 

Hah!  I don't think he knew anything about the uniforms except that Scouts have one.  The boys sure didn't have to have one... I'm currently cub scout den leader and only a few of my scouts have uniforms because nobody wants to shell out the $30 bucks for it and so the only ones that have them are those who have older brothers who went through Scouts when my husband was cub master - he required the uniforms.  So, the ones that have uniforms don't bother wearing them because there's no point to it.

Edited by anatess2

On 8/21/2019 at 12:32 PM, anatess2 said:

I'm currently cub scout den leader and only a few of my scouts have uniforms because nobody wants to shell out the $30 bucks for it

Of course not; they just got done trading in their three year old cars and renewing their deluxe cable package and gym membership. They don't have $30 for such frivolous things.