Famous Last Words

Traveler

Over several years I have gained the habit of saying, "I love you" to my wife whenever we are parting.  Recently we were having an argument and my wife wanted to be by herself to think things over.  As we parted I said the words, "I love you" as I always do.  She asked why I was saying those words under such circumstance.  I replied that if whatever should happen to one or both of us - that I wanted those to be the last words I spoke to her.

The last words I spoke to my father and my mother were spoken in the circumstance that I was quite sure it was our last exchange.   I thought to give opportunity for other to express their "last words" or what they might think they would like to be their last words.

Thanks

The Traveler

So... Excuse me if this distracts from the nature of the thread, but whenever I read any profound last words, ai can’t help but think they had said those words a dozen times before because they were so obsessed with trying to make them their actual last words. 

For example, I can see Beethoven saying “friends applaud, the comedy is finished” every time he left a room. Or how many times did Nostradamus say “tomorrow I shall no longer be here” and then Spend the rest of the day in silence before he was actually right?

... but anyway... 

I would like to say some variation of Jacob 7:26 as my last words.

”I conclude this life, declaring that I have done according to the best of my knowledge, my life  passed away like as it were unto us a dream, I being a lonesome and a solemn man, wanderer cast down from heaven far yonder, born in tribulation, in a wilderness, and hated by my fellow man, which caused wars and contentions; wherefore, we did mourn out our days. Yet here I lie, ready to meet the God that gave me life. To rest from my labors and to bring the gospel to those in prison. Farewell”

But again... I don’t know how many times I would have to say this before I actually die. Perhaps it would be more realistic to put it in my journal and call this my final writing.

I've heard there's a debate surrounding the last words of King George V.

Queen Mary always claimed her husband's last words were "How goes the war?" (World War I had actually ended some years before, but she put it down to delirium.)

However, others who were present say his actual words were "B**ger Bognor!" (The queen had just suggested a trip to Bognor Regis to help him recuperate. The king actually liked Bognor, but was not in the mood to discuss it.)