Fly Fishing

Anddenex

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I fish, but I've never gone fly fishing, so I cannot say I enjoy it.

It seems like a fascinating sport to be involved with.

I do enjoy fishing occasionally.

I used to fish when I lived up north but I was really bad at it. Took away from the enjoyment so I stopped. 

Just now, MormonGator said:

I used to fish when I lived up north but I was really bad at it. Took away from the enjoyment so I stopped. 

I went fishing two weeks ago.  Didn't catch a thing.  Part of it is just the relaxing of it as you cast your line and meditate on the rain (okay, not always on the rain, but it rained on me two weeks ago when I was fishing).  It's sort of like golf for amateurs like me.  You do it for the quiet and relaxation...and the peacefulness of it all, not necessarily the fish (though catching a fish and eating em is pretty dandy as well).  Or, with golf...you don't do it for your score (or you might get crazy furious like some golfers do if they don't get the score they want) but for the quiet and relaxation of the greens and fairways (I also am a walker...good for my age...on the golf course which helps with the relaxation and such), you do it for the fun and slow pace of golf).

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Part of it is just the relaxing of it as you cast your line and meditate on the rain 

Agree totally. I used to hike all the time (the 4,000 footers in NH, nothing like what you guys have out west) and the best hikes were the solitary ones, just with my dog.

One of my closest, closest friends is a highly skilled fisherman who has been fishing for 35 years now. The first time we went fishing together he kept telling me how he was going to catch more than me, catch bigger ones, etc. I caught one within five minutes (very small brook trout) and neither one of caught another one for three hours. It was a great day though. 

https://www.nhfishfinder.com/newfound-lake-4991-location.html. This lake has some amazing fishing. Everyone talks about the much bigger lake, Winnipesaukee (I grew up in a town right on the water) but Newfound is much quieter and more peaceful. 

Edited by MormonGator

29 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I fish, but I've never gone fly fishing, so I cannot say I enjoy it.

It seems like a fascinating sport to be involved with.

I do enjoy fishing occasionally.

It is extremely enjoyable and at the same time very frustrating. I am constantly trying to figure out what the fish are eating and if you can't its heartbreaking :)

Edited by Anddenex

I am not joking when I have said I have been fishing at least twelve times and have never caught a single fish.

Every time I tell this story, someone says “well you haven’t been fishing *insert fav fishing spot*”

My response is always “The last twelve people all said the same thing”.

Im openly bitter about my fishing experiences. I hate it more than I hate doing puzzles or branding myself if an iron.

9 hours ago, Fether said:

I am not joking when I have said I have been fishing at least twelve times and have never caught a single fish.

Every time I tell this story, someone says “well you haven’t been fishing *insert fav fishing spot*”

Im openly bitter about my fishing experiences. I hate it more than I hate doing puzzles or branding myself if an iron.

I can change that if you live in Utah :D

I do not understand the mentality of fishing even though a brother loves it - I once caught him fishing without a hook - what is the logic of fishing and not wanting to catch a fish?  My brother said it is to enjoy nature - one does not need a pool and a hookless line to do that????

But the statement that tops them all from my very smart brother was the one about the excitement involved to "out smart" the fish. 

My response - "Really?  You find outsmarting a fish to be a challenge and something to get excited about?"

The Traveler

9 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I do not understand the mentality of fishing even though a brother loves it - I once caught him fishing without a hook - what is the logic of fishing and not wanting to catch a fish?  My brother said it is to enjoy nature - one does not need a pool and a hookless line to do that????

But the statement that tops them all from my very smart brother was the one about the excitement involved to "out smart" the fish. 

My response - "Really?  You find outsmarting a fish to be a challenge and something to get excited about?"

The Traveler

Says the man that goes into great details about white water rafting.

If you want to go somewhere there are faster and more effective ways then rafting... and you are excited by the challenge posed by inanimate objects.

But we really do not hold that against you because bottom line is everyone needs some down time, where they push aside there normal concerns for awhile.  How they choose to do that may look like foolishness to others, but if it gives that that recovery then its not really that foolish.  We should tolerate their hobbies the way we would like them to tolerate ours.

24 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Says the man that goes into great details about white water rafting.

If you want to go somewhere there are faster and more effective ways then rafting... and you are excited by the challenge posed by inanimate objects.

But we really do not hold that against you because bottom line is everyone needs some down time, where they push aside there normal concerns for awhile.  How they choose to do that may look like foolishness to others, but if it gives that that recovery then its not really that foolish.  We should tolerate their hobbies the way we would like them to tolerate ours.

My short answer is that fishing is an individual thing one can do all by themself and without any input from anyone else.  Whitewater rafting is a team effort that requires the contribution of everyone involved.  I have stated several times that the greatest challenge is to get everyone in the raft to work as a unit - it is not the river nor the challenge of the rapids - it is the process of working together - and from time to time when facing the most difficult challenges several rafts must work together to succeed.  

I understand the love some have for fishing - my brother included.  But for me fishing is not relaxing or a relief but creates stress and tension for me.  Perhaps it is because I am my own worst enemy - Though I do go camping by myself to be alone - as long as a week.  And I must admit that I do enjoy a fish or two while by myself.  But I would not waste my time with a line and hook.  

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

2 minutes ago, Traveler said:

My short answer is that fishing is an individual thing one can do all by themself.  Whitewater rafting is a team effort that requires the contribution of everyone involved.  I have stated several times that the greatest challenge is to get everyone in the raft to work as a unit - it is not the river nor the challenge of the rapids - it is the process of working together - and from time to time when facing the most difficult challenges several rafts must work together to succeed.  

I understand the love some have for fishing - my brother included.  But for me fishing is not relaxing or a relief but creates stress and tension for me.  Perhaps it is because I am my own worst enemy - Though I do go camping by myself to be alone - as long as a week.  And I must admit that I do enjoy a fish or two while by myself.  But I would not waste my time with a line and hook.  

The Traveler

You do you...

But while you are doing you....  Don't give others grief for doing them.  You do not have to understand them or agree with them to not make fun of them.

14 hours ago, Fether said:

It's a matter of perspective.  The activity is called Fishing not Catching for a reason. ;)

So, my 15-year-old son does bass fishing.  Never did fly fishing.  He can spend 6 hours fishing, catch nothing, and be perfectly satisfied.  He just loves stringing that pole, picking out lures, throwing that line, getting some bites, maybe some action... even when he fails to catch one.

A few weeks ago, my husband taught me to cast a net to catch shrimp.  I threw that net about 100 times and caught about 50 shrimp.  I was super sore the next day, toiled over cleaning all that shrimp, cooked them into tortas and it was gone in 60 seconds.  I've been bugging my husband to go again.  I kinda enjoyed it.

10 hours ago, Fether said:

I actually do live in Southern Utah now! We just moved. Haven’t changed my info though.

But... again... I’ve heard that a dozen times ;)

Offer is still on the table :D

Edited by Anddenex