Process for name removal and reinstatement

pam

I had a friend send me a message today on facebook asking me this:

If i had my name removed from the Church and then re joined later in life what is the process?

Please refrain from judgmental comments and stick to answering the question please.  

3 minutes ago, pam said:

Please refrain from judgmental comments and stick to answering the question please.  

The one size fits all answer is also very generic.... Go talk to your Bishop and follow his council.

There will be more things... but the nature and timing of those things will depend various personal factors

1 minute ago, estradling75 said:

The one size fits all answer is also very generic.... Go talk to your Bishop and follow his council.

There will be more things... but the nature and timing of those things will depend various personal factors

I'd follow his counsel too.  :P   

The only answer is "If you've had your name removed and are wanting to come back, or even explore coming back, you meet with your Bishop and the Lord and the three of you council together".

I can see this being a quick or a slow process, or anything in between.

But kudos, random person talking to Pam, on exploring the notion!

If the person is an endowed Melchizedek priesthood holder, the bishop can help, but I believe it is the Stake President who will be the main contact.  Also, after he is baptized again (for some reason "re-baptized" doesn't seem right to me) he will have to wait a year or more before applying to have his priesthood and temple blessings restored.

Readmission is the term the Church uses, for what it's worth.

There are a lot of branches you could chase down in a hypothetical discussion.  The general premise is that readmission requires that the person demonstrate a commitment to the Church and repentance of their sins.  They should expect to have a pretty detailed discussion about their journey out of and back toward the Church.

This process may be handled by the bishop, regardless of gender of previous priesthood office. The bishop has the full authority to authorize readmission. No requests to the stake president or First Presidency are required.

Things that may slow down the process include having been in the midst of Church discipline at the time of name removal, or having committed any transgressions that would warrant a disciplinary council before or after name removal (though these will not necessarily imply a disciplinary council will be held prior to readmission).  All-in-all, it doesn't strike me as a very intimidating process.  I think  your friend may be surprised at how cordial and pleasant it could be.

6 hours ago, pam said:

As most has been mentioned above, I'd just say that the big thing that resides on the mind is WHY they had their name removed and how it was done.  Was it because of an excommunication?

It used to be some years ago that many excommunications were done rather than name removals.  In some ways it was unfortunate, but what is done, is done.

Today it seems that there have been those that use a law firm or other legal means to send letters directly to the church to have their names removed (I think they are going the route now that the church wants these letters notarized).

It boils down to what @MarginOfError touches on in regards to the reasons why they left or under what conditions they left and how this has changed since then.  Normally it's a pretty easy process, but it really depends on the circumstances in some instances.

https://allthesethings.blog/resources/

This is from blog I follow of a guy who was excommunicated, been baptized again, and is working on having his blessings restored.  He put together a list of resources, mainly for excommunication, but I think some, if not a lot, can apply to people who have had their name removed from the church.

1 hour ago, carlimac said:

Why do they need to be re-baptized if they weren’t excommunicated?

You can get excommunicated, or you can resign/ask to have your name removed from the records of the church.  Both remove the covenant of baptism.

Edited by NeuroTypical