7 Things You Can Do Today To Create Less Waste

Today is Tuesday and I have already taken my garbage out twice this week. In the United States, the average person generates approximately 4.6 pounds of trash daily. So it's not just me. How can we create less waste? By replacing our current over-consumption habits with sustainable practices, we can make a lasting impact for good. Heavenly Father instructs his children to care for the earth that he has given us. In Doctrine and Covenants 104:13-14 we read, "For it is expedient that I, the Lord, should make every man accountable, as a steward over earthly blessings, which I have made and prepared for my creatures." Here is a list of 7 things you can start doing today to create less waste and become a better steward of the earth. 1. Bring your own to-go box and utensil kit Humans produce more than 14 million US tons of plastic foam yearly. It might feel odd at first, but bring your own to-go container (a Tupperware or jar) to restaurants helps to make an immediate impact....

View the full article

The claim that second hand shopping takes strategy points to the article being written by an imbecile anyway; going to Goodwill at every opportunity is about as strategic as taking a dump every time you feel the need.  I just stop there every time I pass by (1-2 times a week, sometimes 3 other locations on a weekend if I'm going to an activity in D/FW) and see what they've got. There's no grand game plan: if they have something I like at a price I'm good with, I buy it. 

Sometimes I get a $3,800 suit barely worn for $25, sometimes a $70 dress shirt with the tags still on it for $4.50, sometimes just a $15 shirt in a color I like for $5. The only strategy is the same one I use for every purchase: does this item benefit me more than the $x it costs?

I'm probably as much, if not more, of an environmentalist than this writer... for example, I'm running a low-waste project in my hometown in the Philippines.  So, sure, the tips in the article are good tips.  But if you're doing all these things because of some cosmopolitan reasons like "carbon footprint"... you're just like being fashionably "organic" or fashionably "vegan" - or... tying it to religion to please @Vort - a cultural "Mormon".

You know why we have a low-waste project in my hometown?  Not because of "carbon footprint" or the high-brow arrogance that we can stop the climate from changing... but because we don't have your fancy "take the trash to the curb and it disappears like magic" system.  We actually HAVE TO deal with all that trash ourselves.

34 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

There's a giant difference between Stewardship and the granola version of the low-waste/zero-waste movement.

Still the tips in the article are the same as the ones found on our church website.