Third Hour

Why Women Don’t Wear Pants to Church

Recommended Posts

On 8/22/2019 at 12:11 PM, anatess2 said:

And therein lies the problem - Sacrament Meeting is not the place for such distracting advocacy.  

This; I wore a light blue suit and white shirt with orange pinstripes this morning.  Because it's a suit I haven't worn in a while, but dropped a couple pounds to get the pants fitting right again, and the shirt actually coordinated fairly well.  I certainly didn't declare it a "non-white shirt protest."

Got quite a few compliments on it too.  

Edited by NightSG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Also this:

HeWhoAngersYouControlsYou.jpg.296a2ab3d74c7fbed9817ebd4e20ad79.jpg

Should we be angry at those who spread lies about the church? Just curious. Because after all, I don't want them controlling me. They do make me angry though. 

Anger is an emotion and I agree that we shouldn't suffer an emotional reaction to everything. That said, if you've never been angry at something/someone before, you aren't human. 

Edited by MormonGator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Grunt said:

I'm glad I listened to the judgments of strangers a few weeks ago.  It brought me to a whole new understanding of the Sabbath and how I could observe it better.

Meh. I tossed the judgments of others out the window yesterday and took time to buy a bunch of things at Lowe's, dig a couple holes, and conduct some light carpentry. I also recruited four members of the ward to help me do it all.

Felt pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MarginOfError said:

Meh. I tossed the judgments of others out the window yesterday and took time to buy a bunch of things at Lowe's, dig a couple holes, and conduct some light carpentry. I also recruited four members of the ward to help me do it all.

Felt pretty good.

If the ox is in the mire....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Should we be angry at those who spread lies about the church?

If you cram enough pure love of Christ into yourself, you find yourself almost never getting angry at people.

For every person who "spreads lies about the church", there are 100 people who have been given bad information, or have different beliefs and understanding, and are acting out of something of a desire to have there be more good things and less bad things. 

And the one person who does intentionally lie, may be doing so out of various pains or torments or troubles not visible on the surface. 

Doesn't mean you don't fight back, we need to defend the good and oppose the bad.  But no, anger isn't usually necessary or helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

If you cram enough pure love of Christ into yourself, you find yourself almost never getting angry at people.

For every person who "spreads lies about the church", there are 100 people who have been given bad information, or have different beliefs and understanding, and are acting out of something of a desire to have there be more good things and less bad things. 

And the one person who does intentionally lie, may be doing so out of various pains or torments or troubles not visible on the surface. 

Doesn't mean you don't fight back, we need to defend the good and oppose the bad.  But no, anger isn't usually necessary or helpful.

I understand my friend, and I don't disagree. Like you, I think anger isn't helpful, or necessary. But, we're all human and we all have weaknesses and things we struggle with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely.  I have been the guy in the green shirt more than I care to admit.  It's been a weakness I've struggled with on occasion from an early age.  One thing that helped me start winning the fight, was this notion.

HeWhoAngersYouControlsYou.jpg.296a2ab3d74c7fbed9817ebd4e20ad79.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Absolutely.  I have been the guy in the green shirt more than I care to admit.  It's been a weakness I've struggled with on occasion from an early age.  One thing that helped me start winning the fight, was this notion.

HeWhoAngersYouControlsYou.jpg.296a2ab3d74c7fbed9817ebd4e20ad79.jpg  

Understand totally. Glad you found a weakness and are working on it. That alone requires more strength than many of us have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I skipped pages 3 - 8 of this thread so maybe the following has already been said, but it seems to me as though 1 Corinthians 8 is quite relevant to this discussion. That chaper is about eating meat offered to idols, but I believe the same principles could readily be applied to women wearing pants at church

8  But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
9  But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

10.  For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11  And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12  But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
13  Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 8:10 - 13)

 

Thanks!  Here's a few of the things I get from applying those verses to this thread.

1. If wearing pants causing others to fall, we should avoid it.

2. If something non-gospel related impacts my testimony, I should strengthen my testimony.

3. I wonder how tasty idol-food it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, NightSG said:

This; I wore a light blue suit and white shirt with orange pinstripes this morning.  Because it's a suit I haven't worn in a while, but dropped a couple pounds to get the pants fitting right again, and the shirt actually coordinated fairly well.  I certainly didn't declare it a "non-white shirt protest."

Got quite a few compliments on it too.  

Are you a guy or a lady?

 

Sorry I just could not resist the question.

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Should we be angry at those who spread lies about the church? Just curious. Because after all, I don't want them controlling me. They do make me angry though. 

Anger is an emotion and I agree that we shouldn't suffer an emotional reaction to everything. That said, if you've never been angry at something/someone before, you aren't human. 

Not that I am the greatest example - working on it - I have decided getting angry seldom makes anything better.  Specifically for those that spread lies about the Church - I think the proper emotion would be more along being very very sad for them.

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Not that I am the greatest example - working on it - I have decided getting angry seldom makes anything better.  Specifically for those that spread lies about the Church - I think the proper emotion would be more along being very very sad for them.

 

The Traveler

And concerned for those that might be fooled by them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First I need to disclose that I did not read the article.......

BUT

As an English member "pants" has a whole other meaning........

Wearing pants not so controversial!!!!

 

I now get to admit that I wore not just trousers but jodphurs to church a couple of weeks ago, I was on an overnight shift at work and ran over so did not have time to change or I would have missed the sacrament.  No one batted an eyelid...Love this ward SO much  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MormonGator said:
2 hours ago, Traveler said:

 I have decided getting angry seldom makes anything better. 

Couldn't agree more. It never ends well for the angry person. 

Hmmm. God gets angry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I said it never ends well for the angry person. 

It ended pretty well for Moroni:

And behold, if ye do not this, I will come against you with my armies; yea, even I will arm my women and my children, and I will come against you, and I will follow you even into your own land, which is the land of our first inheritance; yea, and it shall be blood for blood, yea, life for life; and I will give you battle even until you are destroyed from off the face of the earth. Behold, I am in my anger, and also my people; ye have sought to murder us, and we have only sought to defend ourselves. But behold, if ye seek to destroy us more we will seek to destroy you; yea, and we will seek our land, the land of our first inheritance. Now I close my epistle. I am Moroni; I am a leader of the people of the Nephites.

I'm only partially joking with you. Anger is not an evil emotion. It is indeed possible to be righteously angry. I suspect that there are few times in our lives when we are filled with truly righteous anger. But it is indeed possible, and ought not to be dismissed out of hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Vort said:

I'm only partially joking with you.

I understand. 

After 9/11, I wondered if violent people are attracted to religion because then they can go commit violence in the name of their religion, so it "justifies" the violence in their mind. I wonder if it's the same with anger. A small, small, small (small....get it?) percentage of people might enjoy engaging in righteous anger because they are naturally angry people and this justifies it for them. 

Regardless, anger won't end well for most people. It'll consume you and eventually no one will be able to tell between "Righteous anger" and "Oh that's just Larry (puling names out of the sky here), he's an angry guy, you can just ignore him." 

Edited by MormonGator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Vort said:

It ended pretty well for Moroni:

And behold, if ye do not this, I will come against you with my armies; yea, even I will arm my women and my children, and I will come against you, and I will follow you even into your own land, which is the land of our first inheritance; yea, and it shall be blood for blood, yea, life for life; and I will give you battle even until you are destroyed from off the face of the earth. Behold, I am in my anger, and also my people; ye have sought to murder us, and we have only sought to defend ourselves. But behold, if ye seek to destroy us more we will seek to destroy you; yea, and we will seek our land, the land of our first inheritance. Now I close my epistle. I am Moroni; I am a leader of the people of the Nephites.

I'm only partially joking with you. Anger is not an evil emotion. It is indeed possible to be righteously angry. I suspect that there are few times in our lives when we are filled with truly righteous anger. But it is indeed possible, and ought not to be dismissed out of hand.

Anger is not a evil emotion... it is a highly volatile one.  Which is why God's criteria is moved upon by his spirit...  I think it is pretty safe to say that Jesus was moved upon by the spirit when he over threw the money changers in the temple... Given what we know about Moroni it seems safe to say that he was as well (in the above verse)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KScience said:

First I need to disclose that I did not read the article.......

BUT

As an English member "pants" has a whole other meaning........

Wearing pants not so controversial!!!!

 

 

Thank you for just leaving it at that.  I didn't want to discuss your underwear.  :P   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KScience said:

First I need to disclose that I did not read the article.......

BUT

As an English member "pants" has a whole other meaning........

Wearing pants not so controversial!!!!

 

I now get to admit that I wore not just trousers but jodphurs to church a couple of weeks ago, I was on an overnight shift at work and ran over so did not have time to change or I would have missed the sacrament.  No one batted an eyelid...Love this ward SO much  

So now I am wondering was job would be linked to jodhpurs. You are a Mountie, right?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=image+canadian+mountie&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ca&client=safari#imgrc=k5qGFFRYClZKgM:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Vort said:

It ended pretty well for Moroni:

And behold, if ye do not this, I will come against you with my armies; yea, even I will arm my women and my children, and I will come against you, and I will follow you even into your own land, which is the land of our first inheritance; yea, and it shall be blood for blood, yea, life for life; and I will give you battle even until you are destroyed from off the face of the earth. Behold, I am in my anger, and also my people; ye have sought to murder us, and we have only sought to defend ourselves. But behold, if ye seek to destroy us more we will seek to destroy you; yea, and we will seek our land, the land of our first inheritance. Now I close my epistle. I am Moroni; I am a leader of the people of the Nephites.

I'm only partially joking with you. Anger is not an evil emotion. It is indeed possible to be righteously angry. I suspect that there are few times in our lives when we are filled with truly righteous anger. But it is indeed possible, and ought not to be dismissed out of hand.

Sometimes I believe that symbolism in scripture is misunderstood or interpreted - similar to what some think of lust as love.  Jesus commanded against being angry without caveat that I am aware of.  If there is such a thing as a righteous anger - I am not sure that finding such an emotion is worthy of the effort.  Being steadfast and upholding the faith can be done without anger that is a catalyst for hate.  

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Sometimes I believe that symbolism in scripture is misunderstood or interpreted - similar to what some think of lust as love.  Jesus commanded against being angry without caveat that I am aware of.  If there is such a thing as a righteous anger - I am not sure that finding such an emotion is worthy of the effort.  Being steadfast and upholding the faith can be done without anger that is a catalyst for hate.  

 

The Traveler

This makes sense to me.  Do you have references to Christ commanding against being angry?  I'm looking for them, but my scripture referencing is still woefully lacking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now