Spirit of Adventure

mikbone

The wife and I sometimes butt heads on what I perceive as a sense of adventure an what she perceives as bravado and recklessness

And what she perceives as safety I sometimes think of as cowardly and stagnation.

Obviously there should be a happy medium but I want my children to appreciate my sense of adventure.  She actually gave me the bird when I carefully walked my 5 year old daughter into the shallow surf today.

My 21 year old daughter had recently broken up with a conservative and very slow moving methodically over analyzing young man and I taught her how to body surf today.  She was thrilled!

Anyway, were the Wright brothers reckless?

Does Heavenly Father have  sense of adventure?  Obviously He doesn’t suffer from physical injury so that is probably a consideration.

What do you think? 

LEEROY JENKINS!

Edited by mikbone

My 5 year old son and I almost got blown up while climbing a volcano in the Andes Mountain in Peru:

https://www.summitpost.org/father-and-son-adventures-in-peru/378565

In my defense, the volcano hadn't erupted for several years and the eruption was not expected.

At least my son had a heck of a story to tell in the next show and tell in Kindergarten class.  He brought volcanic ash.

Edited by Scott

8 hours ago, Scott said:

In my defense, the volcano hadn't erupted for several years and the eruption was not expected.

How did the wife take that?

Man Kessler is a stud..  And I wish you could plan my wards next father -son campout.  

I saw a Condor in Chile on my mission it was in a cage outside a military base. I thought it was a 4 foot tall statue at first.  It was perched on a little stand  and its head was even with mine.  Then it turned its head and looked at me.  I was so startled that I stumbled a few steps backwards and almost fell onto my backside.  Ugly and scary up close.  The guards got a good laugh at the gringo.

You win the wanderlust prize.

Edited by mikbone

13 hours ago, mikbone said:

The wife and I sometimes butt heads on what I perceive as a sense of adventure an what she perceives as bravado and recklessness

And what she perceives as safety I sometimes think of as cowardly and stagnation.

Obviously there should be a happy medium but I want my children to appreciate my sense of adventure.  She actually gave me the bird when I carefully walked my 5 year old daughter into the shallow surf today.

My 21 year old daughter had recently broken up with a conservative and very slow moving methodically over analyzing young man and I taught her how to body surf today.  She was thrilled!

Does Heavenly Father have  sense of adventure?  Obviously He doesn’t suffer from physical injury so that is probably a consideration.

What do you think? 

LEEROY JENKINS!

I think the divine or charitable manifestation of the spirit of adventure is the spirit of discovery which is the spirit of humility.

“God himself, finding he was in the midst of spirits and glory, because he was more intelligent, saw proper to institute laws whereby the rest could have a privilege to advance like himself. ...He has power ...to save them in the world of spirits." (King Follet Sermon)

Now salvation beyond "the world of spirits" is an unfolding story of adventure and discovery.

15 hours ago, mikbone said:

What do you think? 

LEEROY JENKINS!

I don't think this is a post about adventure but a post about how to conquer debilitating fear.  That's what your wife sounds like.  A 5-year-old wading on the shallow surf should not invoke that kind of fear in a reasonable adult.  My father has a mental health condition where he gets panic attacks.  My sister inherited the trait.  My father is fearful of a lot of things - for example, he refused to talk to a life insurance salesman because he is afraid that if he thinks about his death he will die (ridiculous, I know).  My sister, who is now in her mid-40's, still cannot cross a road by herself even with fully functioning cross-walk signals.  My sister's kids don't have the condition but they have been so influenced by my sister's fearfulness that they've tried to avoid "adventure" even the youngest who has an adventurous personality.  So, in my opinion, I think you need to talk to your spouse about it just to make sure she doesn't have this mental health condition.  This will also help the kids learn to identify baseless versus founded fears.

That said... are the Wright Brothers reckless?  Of course not.  The difference between reckless and adventurous is the lack of logic/preparation.  Jumping out of an airplane can be adventurous when you have prepared for and mitigated the risks.  Jumping out of an airplane without a plan is reckless.  

So, in my family, my husband tends to be reckless.  I balance it out with my tendency to over prepare and over think everything.  So, we meet in the middle where my husband curbs his recklessness in arranging for adventures and I curb my over thinking so as not to ruin the adventure.  Generally speaking, the male species tend to be more reckless almost to the point of ignoring survivability (that's why they have no problem with representation in crazy jobs like moon landings and deep sea welding) whereas the female species tend to put more value in survivability.  The cooperative balance between the two is how the human species continue to succeed in overcoming new frontiers without becoming extinct.