My Weight Doesn’t Define My Worth

I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty; I've got whose-its and whats-its galore.... But the thing I've never had a lot of? Confidence — especially when it comes to my appearance. Okay, that was the cheesiest intro to an article I've ever written. Don't judge me. I know I've talked about it before, but self-esteem has been a big enough struggle in my life that I think it deserves more than a single article or two. Growing up, I was never satisfied with my appearance, partially because being skinny has never come naturally to me — and if I wasn't skinny, was I even worth anything? The memory of stepping on a scale in the fifth grade is forever burned in my memory. I got sick at school, so the school nurse did a quick checkup on me that involved weighing me. When my sister came to pick me up, the nurse loudly informed her that I was overweight. She made it, and me by extension, sound so repulsive that as soon as...

View the full article