Reading the Book of Mormon but not sure why

Kazleighton

Hi, I'm reading the Book of Mormon right now. I've never been religious at all, my family was not religious and the idea of reading or studying religion seemed, until very recently, extremely dull and boring. Although a friend of mine became a Christian a few years ago and tried to get me to go to church with him ( a pentecostal church) I found it as dull and boring as I expected.

So, I KNEW religion was not for me. And that was fine with me.

Then, about three years ago I moved house and whilst unpacking I found a copy of the Book of Mormon in an drawer in the kitchen, obviously left by the former residents. I paid it little attention BUT... I didn't get rid of it. Not sure why but I simply kept it in that drawer.

Anyway, about 6 months ago I was approached by two missionaries while I was in town. They were very polite and friendly but I explained that I wasn't religious and wasn't interested. I wasn't rude but I didn't want to listen.

I saw them again in town about a fortnight later and suddenly had the urge to go over and chat to them. But I've no idea why. Its strange. What would I talk about? AND WHY? I'm NOT religious.

Well, I kept on thinking about it and then about 6 weeks ago I took out the Book of Mormon and started to read.

And so for the past six weeks I've been reading it. No idea why. And I mean, I'm reading it every day. And I'm loving reading it. I've just finished the second book of Nephi. I can't believe I've actually stuck at it.

So I, who isn't  religious am feeling all sorts of emotions. It even feels strange telling this story. Slightly confused but also excited. This is all so new to me, religion in general. I haven't spoken to anyone about this, its been a very private experience but I've been reading about peoples experiences in the church and would like to know has anyone else been in this situation.

Bearing in mind, this really has come out of nowhere for me. All I did was come across the book and talk to two missionaries for about 5 minutes. 

Sound crazy? I know very little as yet about the church but I'm still going to read the Book of Mormon. 

Welcome @Kazleighton

What you are experiencing is what we call "Feeling the Spirit"  it a pretty common experience in the Christian Conversion process. (and General Christian experience)

Now you probably do not really know what that means so let me break it down.

God exists.  And he is now reaching out to you.  God loves you, and he has a plan for you.

Now under other circumstances you would just laugh at me and call me crazy.  You would have no reason to believe me.  Except now you are feeling it for yourself.  You are experiencing it for yourself. And that makes all the difference.

So again welcome to the site.  It is always exciting when God brings us someone new.

Edited by estradling75

Well this was a good post to read in the morning :)

Welcome @Kazleighton, to the forum and (more important) to hearing about the Divine Father that loves you beyond how words can describe.

No, your story doesn't seem strange to me at all: it is that of a flower blooming, even if you personally were not excepting it at all.  

Greetings, @Kazleighton .  Your story doesn't seem the least bit odd.  Many of us are converts who's stories began very similarly.  Keep reading, but maybe add some prayer to your reading as well.  If you have questions, pray on them.  I got many of the answers I needed, and I'm a pretty hard-headed person.  

I wasn't looking for it either, really.  It found me as well.  I hope the Gospel brings you as much joy as it has brought me.

Welcome, @Kazleighton! And congratulations! Let me explain why I'm congratulating you.

Two thousand years ago in Palestine, people were very familiar with sheep. It was common for people to raise sheep, and even those who didn't still knew what sheep were like. Sheep follow the voice of their leader, be it the bellwether (another sheep) or the shepherd.

Jesus used this common understanding during his lifetime to tell people that he, himself, was "the Good Shepherd". He also said another, very interesting, thing. He said, "My sheep hear my voice."

Kaz, what you're experiencing is that you are hearing the voice of your Savior. Now, as a daughter* of God, you have the inborn ability and right to choose your path. You are not required to follow that voice. You can follow whatever path you choose. We call that "agency", and it is something that God himself will never violate or abrogate. But as your brother, I encourage you to hearken to that voice. It will lead you to safety, contentment, and joy.

*I assume you're a woman. If you're a man, substitute "son" for "daughter", and sorry about that.

"Being religious" is not actually something that people are, like short or blond or irritable. "Being religious" is something that people do, like read or play football or love their family. So go ahead and be religious. Pursue this and find out where it leads. May God bless you in your journey. And again, welcome!

Edited by Vort

11 hours ago, Vort said:

Welcome, @Kazleighton! And congratulations! Let me explain why I'm congratulating you.

Two thousand years ago in Palestine, people were very familiar with sheep. It was common for people to raise sheep, and even those who didn't still knew what sheep were like. Sheep follow the voice of their leader, be it the bellwether (another sheep) or the shepherd.

Jesus used this common understanding during his lifetime to tell people that he, himself, was "the Good Shepherd". He also said another, very interesting, thing. He said, "My sheep hear my voice."

Kaz, what you're experiencing is that you are hearing the voice of your Savior. Now, as a daughter* of God, you have the inborn ability and right to choose your path. You are not required to follow that voice. You can follow whatever path you choose. We call that "agency", and it is something that God himself will never violate or abrogate. But as your brother, I encourage you to hearken to that voice. It will lead you to safety, contentment, and joy.

*I assume you're a woman. If you're a man, substitute "son" for "daughter", and sorry about that.

"Being religious" is not actually something that people are, like short or blond or irritable. "Being religious" is something that people do, like read or play football or love their family. So go ahead and be religious. Pursue this and find out where it leads. May God bless you in your journey. And again, welcome.

Right, thank you for the replies. I'll keep reading and see where it takes me. It has eased my confusion somewhat so thank you for that. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions soon enough. Thank you.