Ezra Taft Benson was right.

JohnsonJones

Many Decades ago Ezra Taft Benson was our Prophet.  He pushed for us to read the Book of Mormon more.  We had multiple lessons on the importance of the Book of Mormon and how it was the keystone to our religion.  He told us that we need to make it a focus of our lives.

Our beloved brother, President Marion G. Romney, who celebrated his eighty-ninth birthday last month and who knows of himself of the power that resides in this book, testified of the blessings that can come into the lives of those who will read and study the Book of Mormon. He said:

“I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness” (Ensign, May 1980, p. 67).

These promises—increased love and harmony in the home, greater respect between parent and child, increased spirituality and righteousness—are not idle promises, but exactly what the Prophet Joseph Smith meant when he said the Book of Mormon will help us draw nearer to God.

Brethren and sisters, I implore you with all my heart that you consider with great solemnity the importance of the Book of Mormon to you personally and to the Church collectively.

The Book of Mormon Keystone of Our religion - Ezra Taft Benson Octo 1986 Conf

I've noticed all sorts of commentary by those who have fallen away from the church pertaining to leaders, policies and church history that creates doubts and confusion with people.  However, when it comes to the Book of Mormon they normally attack the sources of translation (Joseph Smiths Character) or try to mock it in relation to history, but the eternal truths that are found within are normally not the targets (with one exception that they focus on the wording) of their derision. 

It seems to me that those who have a sound testimony of the Book of Mormon and an unwavering faith that it is true are not going to be dissuaded by many of the other obstacles tossed at us today.  When people bring up (normally from questionable sources, though most ironically don't question sources these days) so called facts to tear down the church, it's history, or it's founding leaders (Joseph Smith, Brigham Young or other prophets and apostles in Church history), I find that a stout testimony of the Book of Mormon is a strong fortress against the winds of those who would tear one away from the gospel.

This summer I travelled and did not bring a Book of Mormon with me.  It was a time when I had many discussions about the Church with those who were not members.  Some of them were a little antagonistic at times, and I truly missed the opportunity to read the Book of Mormon regularly.  From that I can say that the Book of Mormon is absolutely necessary for us today, and that even a little reading is something that can bolster us up against the storms far more than many other resources we may think of.  I can say I am very grateful to be able to read the Book of Mormon today and feel it truly helps out testimonies.  Even when we feel we are solid and strong with our testimonies, I feel the reading of the Book of Mormon bolsters it even more strongly than if we weren't.

I think today there is a lack of emphasis of the Book of Mormon in the Church.  As members have gotten side tracked on other things in their lives, including many various things dealing with various items at church, that the Book of Mormon has been neglected in many instances.  I've found that many who fall away were not reading the Book of Mormon regularly, or when crisis came with their faith, they fell to reading other things rather than the Book of Mormon.  Perhaps not all, but many of them may have found the sweet whisperings of the Spirit if they had but turned more fervently to the Book of Mormon and prayed for a restoration of their testimony.  I think there is a lack among many of our young people today in studying the Book of Mormon and I think that could be hurting many of them in keeping those testimonies in the face of an ever increasing hostile world.

The thing that sparked this post is in reference to this summer and now, I notice a difference in my life between when I am reading and studying the Book of Mormon and when I am not.  It has convinced me even more strongly of it's importance in our lives.  I think that in light of the many things being tossed at the church and it's members today, a reinvigorated focus on keeping the Book of Mormon in our daily lives could be an important step in trying to keep our younger members, those who are troubled, and those who are in the midst of confusion to retain their testimonies, or gain a testimony of the Gospel in the face of a very hostile world.

Edited by JohnsonJones
Adding reference for quote

I largely agree with this. I note that our leaders have not quit stressing the importance of scripture study generally and study of the Book of Mormon in particular. But the people must have ears to hear. We have entirely too many spiritually hard-of-hearing or completely deaf people in the kingdom.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

I largely agree with this. I note that our leaders have not quit stressing the importance of scripture study generally and study of the Book of Mormon in particular. But the people must have ears to hear. We have entirely too many spiritually hard-of-hearing or completely deaf people in the kingdom.

It’s amazing how incredibly deaf some are...

But as I say that I wonder how deaf I am.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, JohnsonJones said:

I think today there is a lack of emphasis of the Book of Mormon in the Church

One part of Mr. Benson's speech said, "If the early Saints were rebuked for treating the Book of Mormon
lightly, are we under any less condemnation if we do the same?"

After reading some church literature, it seems they started to put less emphasis on the Book of Mormon
and other standard works, and instead focused more on what was being said in the present.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/36481_eng.pdf?lang=eng

Jim

the_words_of_prophets_today.pdf

Edited by theplains
added pdf file

This is the last straw for me, like many others my family already lost faith in leaders, members, church history and policies. Ive been struggling too and this past sunday in church I really felt the negative energy of several individuals, none of which are leaders thankfully, just regular members that have something stuck up their butts.

The thing im experiencing is that when my ex left the church and my kids began being borderline inactive, some members think u are going apostate and they avoid u like the plague. Other members try to show empathy but when you dont tell them the details of your problems, which is none of their business, they start to think you dont like them. Then there is everyone else who are understanding because they have been there done that or are just really cool people.

I was inspired one night 2 months ago to start reading the bk of mormon and fast. Still havent started but this might be the thread that gets me going.

13 hours ago, priesthoodpower said:

This is the last straw for me, like many others my family already lost faith in leaders, members, church history and policies. Ive been struggling too and this past sunday in church I really felt the negative energy of several individuals, none of which are leaders thankfully, just regular members that have something stuck up their butts.

The thing im experiencing is that when my ex left the church and my kids began being borderline inactive, some members think u are going apostate and they avoid u like the plague. Other members try to show empathy but when you dont tell them the details of your problems, which is none of their business, they start to think you dont like them. Then there is everyone else who are understanding because they have been there done that or are just really cool people.

I was inspired one night 2 months ago to start reading the bk of mormon and fast. Still havent started but this might be the thread that gets me going.

Sounds like a tough time.  I am sorry you going through it.  Reading the Book of Mormon won't magically take care of things like that (from my experience) but I feel it can bolster our faith through hard times.

19 hours ago, theplains said:

One part of Mr. Benson's speech said, "If the early Saints were rebuked for treating the Book of Mormon
lightly, are we under any less condemnation if we do the same?"

After reading some church literature, it seems they started to put less emphasis on the Book of Mormon
and other standard works, and instead focused more on what was being said in the present.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/36481_eng.pdf?lang=eng

Jim

the_words_of_prophets_today.pdf

I find it commendable that, even though you are not yet a saint, you are looking to find the sources that provide the greatest value. Like other recent converts (and many young people looking to grow in the teachings of Jesus), you're looking for an ordered hierarchical list but will be hard pressed to find one. I'd encourage you to make it a matter of prayer to see where the Lord wants you to spend your time in study. You may be surprised to find that there's a way for you to give both the Book of Mormon and the teachings of living prophets ample time.

This thread has come at an interesting time for me.  Just this last week I had a lengthy discussion with a young man that has left the church.  He told me that he has been struggling with many things in his life.  He had served a mission and married in the temple but his life began to fall apart when his young wife left him for another man.  He could not understand.  I would add that this young man is a brilliant engineer and a leader in his field.  For all he had been doing and been loyal yet it seemed to him to count for nothing as his marriage failed.  So he sought greater spirituality.  He committed to read the scriptures daily (including the Book of Mormon), pray a minimum of twice daily and attended the temple 2 to 3 time a week as well as all his Sunday meetings.  But it did not work - his life continued to spiral downwards and he become more depressed.  The divorce became even more difficult (even bitter) for him and his future was becoming more depressing.

While reading scripture, attending the temple and fasting often he came to believe G-d has inspired him to change his life.  Not necessarily a 180 but to leave the church, put scriptures and church (religious things) away and face life head on.  He has met another young lady and moved in - no marriage.  He now claims he is closer to G-d and more at peace with himself and life in general.  Mostly I have presented his view of things - I have not included my response.

Though I agree that we need to read scriptures daily, attend our meetings, fast and pray -and do temple work but these are not the goals in life or eternity.  When we see the world and the universe revolving around ourself and hope to gardify our selfish concerns, wants and desires (including what we think is eternal life) we are missing the forest for all the trees.  In essence Paul addresses this in 1Cor 13.  I found it very interesting that I am in the midst of studying 1Cor(Follow Me curriculum) as I came in contact with this young man.  I am not sure our discussion nor my input will have a long term impact on this young man (somewhat reminiscent in part of Jesus' encounter with a young man).  But for me I felt again the importance of drawing close to G-d.  And that to do so it is helpful to read the Book of Mormon, fast, pray, attend church and attend the temple.  However, we can do these things and still miss the mark.  It is not because there is something missing from our list - it is because it is a list by which we hope to obtain our wants, desires and fulfill our individual will and so will all our efforts away from G-d for things we think in the moment to desire more.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 4:21 PM, Vort said:

But the people must have ears to hear. We have entirely too many spiritually hard-of-hearing or completely deaf people in the kingdom.

These people may attend church or church socials but they are not in the Kingdom of God.  Hopefully they will repent and turn to God so Christ may heal them before they depart this mortal life.