Membership in the Church

dprh

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2002/04/the-gospel-in-our-lives?lang=eng

I just finished listening to this talk.  It is often true that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.  Since I've been excommunicated, I've begun to realize all the things I took for granted as a member.  I wait with anticipation until I can take the sacrament, pay tithing, serve in a calling, even say prayers in church.  If you are able, please participate and enjoy these blessings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 9:15 AM, dprh said:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2002/04/the-gospel-in-our-lives?lang=eng

I just finished listening to this talk.  It is often true that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.  Since I've been excommunicated, I've begun to realize all the things I took for granted as a member.  I wait with anticipation until I can take the sacrament, pay tithing, serve in a calling, even say prayers in church.  If you are able, please participate and enjoy these blessings.

The problem is that all too often we don't even recognize that it is gone. I would submit that you had actually lost most of the blessings of the gospel before you were excommunicated. Not being critical or judgmental of you (I think its true of many of us to one degree or another) but as we stop living some aspect of the gospel the Spirit's influence in our lives lessens and in many instances we don't even realize it. Satan keeps us so focused on the things of the world that we fail to notice the darkness gathering around us. I applaud you on your journey back to finding what has been lost and your call to participate and enjoy the blessings of the gospel is an important one.

11 hours ago, laronius said:

I would submit that you had actually lost most of the blessings of the gospel before you were excommunicated.

I agree.  Losing those blessings was difficult to see while I wasn't living my covenants.  I was, unworthily, partaking of the sacrament, serving in callings, etc.  It helped ease my guilty conscious.  But now I'm on a path of repentance, I have felt the Spirit stronger and more often than I have in decades even though I no longer have the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Edited by dprh

11 hours ago, laronius said:

...as we stop living some aspect of the gospel the Spirit's influence in our lives lessens and in many instances we don't even realize it. Satan keeps us so focused on the things of the world that we fail to notice the darkness gathering around us.

11 hours ago, priesthoodpower said:

Very true.

He is a master at sleight of hand. Most people never notice the flaxen cords.

2 hours ago, dprh said:

I agree.  Losing those blessings was difficult to see while I wasn't living my covenants.  I was, unworthily, partaking of the sacrament, serving in callings, etc.  It helped ease my guilty conscious.  But now I'm on a path of repentance, I have felt the Spirit stronger and more often than I have in decades even though I no longer have the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

I am glad to see your post.  You are so needed - now more than ever before.  Welcome.

The Traveler