Women and temples

pam

Hi to any non-LDS folks,

As you may be aware, our temples and what happens in them, are a very sacred subjects for us.  In threads like this, in the LDS Gospel Discussion board, we're open and vulnerable.  As you participate in this thread and others like it, maybe hold this mental image: The LDS in this room are all standing in a doctor's exam room changing into those little gowns that open in the back, and you're here fully clothed with a recording device.  Please be respectful.  We're sensitive.

As a reminder, mormondialogue.org is open and happy to have anyone who wants to make points or highlight issues or whatever.  Don't do it here please.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Most non-members who spend any amount of time here know that temple matters are sacred. When I saw the OP question I perceived the larger issue--one that is leveled at most Christians, by non-believers: Is your faith sexist? Is it male-oriented, with the women expected to be in submission? The answers to this string have mostly been specific to the temple experience. IMHO, the broader answers to the accusation are in scriptures. Jesus was far more open to women than most in his generation. The Apostle Paul (often labeled sexist by armchair critics) commanded men to love their wives to the point of dying for them. He also insisted that we submit to one another. I suspect there are similar examples in the BoM, the D&C, as well as in the pronouncements of church leaders. It may be that there are unique issues within the temple observances, but the accusation of sexism is one that thoughtful Christians of nearly every stripe find we must respond to.

Edited by prisonchaplain