Watch trends

Vort

https://www.wsj.com/articles/your-watch-says-more-about-your-status-than-you-think-11566933401?mod=trending_now_5

People are foolish, shallow, cheap, and shameless. I'm almost at a loss for words. Fortunately, Isaiah can step in and help.

Moreover the Lord saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will discover their secret parts... And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty. Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war. And her gates shall lament and mourn; and she being desolate shall sit upon the ground.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, mirkwood said:

Uh oh.  I don't wear a watch.

@MormonGator likes watches...

😈

It's obviously not about the watch itself, it's about the attitude surrounding it. I think we all know that. 

I used to look down on people who drove nice cars. After all, I thought it was foolish, shallow, cheap and shameless. But I have an obsession with watches ( @mirkwood has seen my collection), so I looked inward and realized my own hypocrisy, jealousy, and envy.

46 minutes ago, Vort said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/your-watch-says-more-about-your-status-than-you-think-11566933401?mod=trending_now_5

People are foolish, shallow, cheap, and shameless. I'm almost at a loss for words. Fortunately, Isaiah can step in and help.

Moreover the Lord saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will discover their secret parts... And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty. Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war. And her gates shall lament and mourn; and she being desolate shall sit upon the ground.

Can’t get through the paywall.

I don’t wear a watch during the week.  On Sundays I carry in my vest a pocket watch and chain that my kids got me for Fathers’ Day a couple of years ago.  

14 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Can’t get through the paywall.

I don’t wear a watch during the week.  On Sundays I carry in my vest a pocket watch and chain that my kids got me for Fathers’ Day a couple of years ago.  

You didn't miss much. A bunch of guys talking about how Millennials don't adequately appreciate high-end mechanical watches, and an etiquette breakdown about not wearing a watch fancier than your boss's, not wearing too nice a watch when talking to investors, and how cool an Apple watch is because it shows you're practical and don't care about such nonsense. Such posturing and posing I don't think I've seen since high school. It's embarrassing to read, actually.

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Vort said:

You didn't miss much. A bunch of guys talking about how Millennials don't adequately appreciate high-end mechanical watches, and an etiquette breakdown about not wearing a watch fancier than your boss's, not wearing too nice a watch when talking to investors, and how cool an Apple watch is because it shows you're practical and don't care about such nonsense. Such posturing and posing I don't think I've seen since high school. It's embarrassing to read, actually.

So appreciating nicely made watches-that's wrong in some way? Curious. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

So appreciating nicely made watches-that's wrong in some way? Curious. 

Appreciating a device is fine. Determining your social standing relative to others based on which device you possess is sort of the opposite of fine.

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Appreciating a device is fine

Good. Glad we are allowed to have some hobbies. After all, movies, TV shows, music, sports, novels, video games, Disney...all those things are immoral. I was afraid I was missing something about watches! 

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Determining your social standing relative to others based on which device you possess is sort of the opposite of fine.

Agree. 

Edited by MormonGator

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Good. Glad we are allowed to have some hobbies. After all, movies, TV shows, music, video games, Disney...all those things are immoral. I was afraid I was missing something about watches!

Oh, watches are evil, for sure. Satanic, even. As D&C 88:100 tells us:

The Lord hath redeemed his people; and Satan is bound and time is no longer.

23 minutes ago, Vort said:

I can't read the whole article, I have noticed that people in general do not wear watches as much as was common in the past. Where I live if you wear a watch it's usually the village watch which is the apple whatever version they are now out with.

As far a watch etiquette depending on the type of business your in that's actually a real thing.

As someone who owns several nice watches I think that it goes without saying that past a certain price point they are jewelry and are meant to make a statement.  You can call it posturing and posing if you want.

Edited by omegaseamaster75

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

As someone who owns several nice watches I think that it goes without saying that past a certain price point they are jewelry and are meant to make a statement.  You can call it posturing and posing if you want.

Same here. It's fascinating to me because people on the left are often jealous of "the rich" who live in nice houses, drive nice cars, and yes, wear nice watches. Perhaps people on the right are also jealous of those of us who live in nice houses, drive nice cars and yes, wear nice watches, but just call it "prideful" or "shallow" or something. 

Just now, Grunt said:

Well, viewing that and now knowing the rules, the Prophet must have an unbelievable watch.

It's all about context, Uchdorf was a pilot and a senior VP at Lufthansa, he also has/had a relationship with Breitling. He was a businessman who along with wearing Bespoke suits and $500.00 dollar shoes couldn't bring himself to slap a casio on his wrist.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

It's all about context, Uchdorf was a pilot and a senior VP at Lufthansa, he also has/had a relationship with Breitling. He was a businessman who along with wearing Bespoke suits and $500.00 dollar shoes couldn't bring himself to slap a casio on his wrist.

And there is nothing wrong with him, or John Doe wearing those things either. It's a matter of personal taste. For all we know,  someone who dresses like that might do more for charity than you or I ever will. in fact, I'd argue it's quite shallow to judge someone just because they wear a nice watch, nice suit, nice shoes, etc. 

( I know you aren't saying that @omegaseamaster75

I'm a Tag Heuer fan but after smartphones became a thing, there's just no reason anymore to wear a watch when the time is right there on my phone.  Same as cameras.  I used to be big on Nikon and then smartphones started coming with cameras and my paradigm shifted to - the best camera is the one in your hand when the perfect photo opportunity arises.