Watch trends

Vort

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I can't read the whole article, I have noticed that people in general do not wear watches as much as was common in the past. Where I live if you wear a watch it's usually the village watch which is the apple whatever version they are now out with.

As far a watch etiquette depending on the type of business your in that's actually a real thing.

As someone who owns several nice watches I think that it goes without saying that past a certain price point they are jewelry and are meant to make a statement.  You can call it posturing and posing if you want.

Your nickname makes me suspect you might be biased on this particular topic :)

Image result for omega master chronometer

Long ago and far far away in my youth, every watch I got stopped working within a week.  Anciently watches were mechanical.   I have a fitbit that I wear when riding.  Mostly I do not wear watches or rings (not even my wedding ring).  I do not plan on being anywhere just on time - I always plan to be early.  I do not see any need for a watch in today's society.

The Traveler

I’m torn.  

I appreciate the craftsmanship of a real timepiece.  Go watch Longitude to see the importance of an accurate clock.  Great show btw.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longitude_(TV_series)

I purchased a nice watch once with a calendar / moon complication and self winding mechanism.  Unfortunately because of my farsightedness, I can’t read the dang thing.  I also can’t wear it while scrubbing into work.  So I occasionally wear it to Church.

My iphone is my timepiece.  Best watch I ever had.

Edited by mikbone

17 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I wore a watch once.

watch1.jpg

That looks to be over a decade ago.  I'm glad you do not walk with a limp today (or so I assume).  Utah looks like he's aiming right at your right one.  Utah tends to dislike Blue (though technically I think you are in black there...the nickname sometimes are the boys in blue)...

:cop:

Edited by JohnsonJones
Trying to make sure Mirk knows that what I wrote is a joke so I don't get arrested for trying to be funny...

Guest Godless
18 hours ago, MormonGator said:

And there is nothing wrong with him, or John Doe wearing those things either. It's a matter of personal taste. For all we know,  someone who dresses like that might do more for charity than you or I ever will. in fact, I'd argue it's quite shallow to judge someone just because they wear a nice watch, nice suit, nice shoes, etc. 

( I know you aren't saying that @omegaseamaster75

While, his case, I'm sure his taste in clothing and accessories is directly related to his net worth, I've known people over the years who aren't particularly well off, but have "pet accessories" that they like to splurge on when they have some extra money. For some people it's shoes. Some may have a fixation on car modifications. For others, it's watches. My wife used to sell jewelry at Macy's and she developed a fixation for watches during her time there. She even bought me a very nice Swiss Army watch as a birthday gift before we were married. While they may not be practical in today's digital age, watches can be a fun way to show off your personal style.

14 hours ago, Traveler said:

Long ago and far far away in my youth, every watch I got stopped working within a week.  Anciently watches were mechanical.   I have a fitbit that I wear when riding.  Mostly I do not wear watches or rings (not even my wedding ring).  I do not plan on being anywhere just on time - I always plan to be early.  I do not see any need for a watch in today's society.

The Traveler

Currently watches are mechanical, that's the appeal for many.

29 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Currently watches are mechanical, that's the appeal for many.

I get the impression from your post that the appeal is not time related but personal aggrandizement. 

The Traveler

23 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

As someone who owns several nice watches I think that it goes without saying that past a certain price point they are jewelry and are meant to make a statement. 

This can’t be right.  I’ve been told that what one wears has nothing—nothing!!!—to do with any desire to make a statement about oneself.  

I have been told this by Top Men.  Top Men, I tell you.  And top women, too!

7 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

This can’t be right.  I’ve been told that what one wears has nothing—nothing!!!—to do with any desire to make a statement about oneself.  

I have been told this by Top Men.  Top Men, I tell you.  And top women, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy4_h7Pb3M

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I get the impression from your post that the appeal is not time related but personal aggrandizement

The Traveler

You can't read his mind. Maybe he just likes nice watches. And there is nothing wrong with that. 

I hope this doesn't apply to you @Traveler, but frankly, I think I hit the nail on the head when I said that a lot of times people complain about shallowness, superciality and pride when in reality, they are just jealous that someone else can afford things a little nicer than they can.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

You can't read his mind. Maybe he just likes nice watches. And there is nothing wrong with that. 

I hope this doesn't apply to you @Traveler, but frankly, I think I hit the nail on the head when I said that a lot of times people complain about shallowness, superciality and pride when in reality, they are just jealous that someone else can afford things a little nicer than they can.

I KNEW IT!!!

I knew there was a reason you were a Gator Fan instead of a Bulldog fan!

It's okay, you can let the jealousy out and dress in red and black this coming season!!!

:angrytongue::cheerleader:

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

One aspect that I am grateful for from my wester pioneer heritage is the strong appreciation of function over form, accomplishment over prestige and stewardship over ownership.  Please do not misunderstand but I was taught that anything that I could not fix if it broke; did not really belong to me and that I should strongly consider transferring  physical things in my possession that I could not or will not take care myself, to someone that will.  So I am much more impressed with the person that can construct a high quality watch than the person that wears or comindears the fruit of someone else's labor and talent.  

It may be an oxymoron because I work in the industry of automation and robotics - but most "things" of our society are products of automation and robotics and not so much human craftsmanship.   If it was not for my wife - I would not wear anything considered fashionable and matching.  My wife will not purchase for me soxs any other color than black or white.  So I wear black for formal and white for everything else. 

Perhaps it is somewhat presumptuous of me - but it is my prejudice assumption that someone that would wear a watch during temple service - is unaware and unappreciative of their surroundings and the sacredness and beyond this world (and it's time) and of eternal nature for which a watch has no purpose or value (along with so many other things of no eternal value).  

The Traveler

On 8/28/2019 at 11:06 AM, omegaseamaster75 said:

Well there is this:

image.png.07c7f89610e5b5b8777e2a5715d56f7f.png

I’ll note two things. He doesn’t have a bracelet that would add about $1,000 to the value of his watch.  That’s modest.

Second, one assumes that the First Presidency, being higher in the pecking order, rocks either Rolex or Patek Philippe.  The Prophet, having been a wealthy doctor, I vote Patek.

25 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

I’ll note two things. He doesn’t have a bracelet that would add about $1,000 to the value of his watch.  That’s modest.

Second, one assumes that the First Presidency, being higher in the pecking order, rocks either Rolex or Patek Philippe.  The Prophet, having been a wealthy doctor, I vote Patek.

I vote cheapskate lol

0115_mormon-1000x692.jpg

6fccff0e-295a-41b9-9545-07525a8a0a52-lds_prez.jpg

I see stuff like this everywhere. Our culture is full of markers that go with a status.  In another thread, we’re arguing about white shirts and Sunday Best and ties, and justifying ourselves. 

I had a buddy who climbed  his career ladder pretty quick. He once lamented to me that he had to learn how to like football, so he would have something to talk about in his new peer group  of upper level managers .

For like, a minute, I was part of the “in“ group at work. One guy had flown his Porsche to Europe to race it, he was laminating about how it exploded in the fourth lap. The other guy was talking about how he had gone on a three day helicopter skiing outing. They flew him up a mountain, he would ski down on virgin snow.   They also referenced past vacations, like flying in a Huey practicing combat maneuvers.

I participated in the conversation, but I didn’t really have anything to add. My vacation that year was to Pahrump Nevada, for a four day defensive handgun training class. Bringing it up in an office setting didn’t seem like a good idea.

I don’t think anyone looked down on me, I still work with them. I think I’m still on the career path I was before that conversation. Check back with me in 20 years, and will see if I hit my glass ceiling or not.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:53 AM, Godless said:

My wife used to sell jewelry at Macy's and she developed a fixation for watches during her time there. She even bought me a very nice Swiss Army watch as a birthday gift before we were married. While they may not be practical in today's digital age, watches can be a fun way to show off your personal style.

Considering my phone isn't conveniently attached to my wrist, and frankly I'm not going to risk pulling it out around the dust, paint and epoxy at work, a watch is still quite practical.

And for church, I have pocketwatches in both silver and gold finish so they can match my cufflinks while I'm being very obvious about time-checking a long winded speaker.