Watch trends

Vort

14 hours ago, LadyGunnar said:

I never wear a watch. I struggle to find them small enough to fit my wrist.  I don't care about watches. I will admit I like shoes. I have dreams of high heels. I would be too afraid to wear them outside. 

I love shoes.  I have several 4-inchers.  I've tried lots of fashion shoes from Payless to Louboutins and found that the Michael Kors brand is the most dependable in the high heels category.  I can sprint in my 4-inch MK shoes if I need to.  They have the correct balance between rise and stability and support - not just front to back but side to side as well such that every step lands solid on a flat surface (of course, you can't off-road on these shoes).  Not all MKs are good for my type of feet but those that are, are all solid.  I can sometimes find good balanced shoes cheaper - like I have Madden 4-inchers that is one of my favorites.  I swore off Aldos.  I have yet to find good balanced Aldo shoes and they think they can sell their stupid shoes for over $100... 

20 hours ago, Vort said:

It's like he uses his watch to, who knows, tell time or something.

Maybe. I’d like to know where these pics were taken. Pres. Nelson travels to a lot of third world countries. He wouldn’t take his Patek to any of those. He would wear such a watch as pictured. 😐

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I love shoes.  I have several 4-inchers.  I've tried lots of fashion shoes from Payless to Louboutins and found that the Michael Kors brand is the most dependable in the high heels category.  I can sprint in my 4-inch MK shoes if I need to.  They have the correct balance between rise and stability and support - not just front to back but side to side as well such that every step lands solid on a flat surface (of course, you can't off-road on these shoes).  Not all MKs are good for my type of feet but those that are, are all solid.  I can sometimes find good balanced shoes cheaper - like I have Madden 4-inchers that is one of my favorites.  I swore off Aldos.  I have yet to find good balanced Aldo shoes and they think they can sell their stupid shoes for over $100... 

I have some 5 to 7 inch heels. I am super short.  My husband wondered how any person can walk in heels. I love my vera wang heels and jessica Simpson ones. 

2 hours ago, LadyGunnar said:

I have some 5 to 7 inch heels. I am super short.  My husband wondered how any person can walk in heels. I love my vera wang heels and jessica Simpson ones. 

Platforms!!!  I have a couple!  But I only wear them to special occasions.  :) 

I'm also very short.  And my husband is tall.  I'm lacking 14-inches to match his height.  My husband used to be in runway and has worn a few high heeled shoes in his time by order of the fashion people - who can go off the deep end in the art at times.  My husband buys my shoes.  He's got a good eye for that type of thing and knows what I like.  Sometimes he'd come home with a pair and I'd be like... uuhhmm... I don't know what outfit I could match these with... and he'd be like... I got it for this and that outfit...

On 8/29/2019 at 9:53 AM, Traveler said:

I get the impression from your post that the appeal is not time related but personal aggrandizement. 

The Traveler

ahhh, but we all have our thing don't we? Don't tell me you have never bought anything nice for yourself in your whole life. Unnecessary or frivolous purchases can take many forms.  You can't justify spending 5+k on a watch, but maybe you can justify a quad? or a boat? or a collection of comics? or a collection of anything. 

I find it offensive that you would pass summary judgement that the purchase/s was/were for personal aggrandizement. I recommend a hard look in the mirror and at major purchases made over your lifetime. 

2 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

ahhh, but we all have our thing don't we? Don't tell me you have never bought anything nice for yourself in your whole life. Unnecessary or frivolous purchases can take many forms.  You can't justify spending 5+k on a watch, but maybe you can justify a quad? or a boat? or a collection of comics? or a collection of anything. 

I find it offensive that you would pass summary judgement that the purchase/s was/were for personal aggrandizement. I recommend a hard look in the mirror and at major purchases made over your lifetime. 

My post was not meant to be offensive.  Just an observation. 

I do not collect things.  I have several white water rafts - but they were purchased for function.  My car is turning 26 years old this year.  My ski equipment and cycling equipment is the best for function and not for vanity.  My wife tells me what to wear because it is important to her.  For obvious reasons - I am not allowed to purchase much of anything without the wife's approval.  I have had unfortunate exchanges with others on this forum because I was raised by parents that strongly believed that winning a prize (like a lottery or sweepstakes) is immoral and shameful.  A while back I posted the "Rules of the United Order" that very much defined my family and the values I was raised with.   One last thing - I have thought that all Saints understand well the trap of prosperity referenced in the Book of Mormon where those that used their prosperity for personal aggrandizement always ended with extremely poor results. 

The Traveler

16 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I have thought that all Saints understand well the trap of prosperity referenced in the Book of Mormon where those that used their prosperity for personal aggrandizement always ended with extremely poor results

Christ warned against the deceitfulness of riches. Riches promise security, a promise they can never deliver on. There is only one source for security, and it's not riches.

15 hours ago, Vort said:

Christ warned against the deceitfulness of riches. Riches promise security, a promise they can never deliver on. There is only one source for security, and it's not riches.

Historically riches have caused the opposite of security.  I can  present specific examples where prosperity has made an individual a target and thus increased threats to their security.  I will offer one.  I was flying once when I was seated in first class next to a rather unhappy gentleman.  A down turn in the economy had caused him to lose a significant sum of his investments.  He was sad that he may have to sell one of 4 private residents.  With a few short questions I quickly discovered he was constantly unhappy with those he had hired to care his residents when he was away and he was greatly concerned that those around him took liberties with his stuff.  I asked if he owned more than one car and if it bothered him if a car parked next to him might chip his paint when their doors were opened.  He did.  I asked if he had to give special instructions when his shirts were taken to the laundry.  He did.  He began to discuss with me how difficult it was to find people he could trust.

I then made some suggestions on some changes that would definitely make him more happy (and secure).  I suggested that trying to impress other with things would only attract those more interested in his things than with him.  I suggested he wear shirts that he would not mind getting dirty and to get one car he could drive and not care if it got a ding or two.  I suggested he sell all his residents and purchase one home in a non-gated community filled with stuff that did not mean so much to him; so that if someone did not treat it right he could still deal with them as a friend.  In short, live in a place where he would care more about his neighbors than his things.

Strange as it may seem - when you care more about your neighbors than you do your things -- your neighbors will care more about you than your things.  A community that cares more about each other than things - is not only safer but those that live there are happier (seldom discouraged or depressed).

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
16 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Yup, totally agree. 

It's a form of jealousy or envy @omegaseamaster75. Perhaps it's even subconscious. "I can't afford nice watches, cars, houses, and I feel guilty about it. So I'm going to pretend that anyone who can afford those things are shallow, greedy or vapid. That'll make me feel better." 

16 hours ago, Traveler said:

One last thing - I have thought that all Saints understand well the trap of prosperity referenced in the Book of Mormon where those that used their prosperity for personal aggrandizement always ended with extremely poor results. 

The Traveler

Define personal aggrandizement. I'm curious what is the measuring stick to which we should all abide by.

24 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It's a form of jealousy or envy @omegaseamaster75. Perhaps it's even subconscious. "I can't afford nice watches, cars, houses, and I feel guilty about it. So I'm going to pretend that anyone who can afford those things are shallow, greedy or vapid. That'll make me feel better." 

in the case of @Traveler I am fairly sure that this is not the case. I believe the issue is how money is spent.  There seems to be some unwritten moral code of which I am unaware that dictates how we should spend our money.  I suppose flying first class is on the list...........

31 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I was flying once when I was seated in first class next to a rather unhappy gentleman. 

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
Just now, omegaseamaster75 said:

in the case of @Traveler I am fairly sure that this is not the case. I believe the issue is how money is spent.  There seems to be some unwritten moral code of which I am unaware that dictates how we should spend our money.  I suppose flying first class is on the list...........

I don't think it is either in his case, it's just a generality. But it's still generally correct. 

2 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I have never paid for the privilege to sit in first class.  I only do so on the whim of whatever airline and its employees.  I have discovered that the more I fly (travel) a particular airline (or other company that caters to travelers) the more they are willing to put me in first class (or provide a upgrade) even though I have purchased a regular class seat.  I have discovered that the better I treat those that serve me (write glowing reports of their service to their employer), the more they remember me and the better I am treated.  I have suggested to other travelers that especially when things go very wrong and you are in great need of assistance - be overly kind and respectful (never angry or turse) towards anyone that can help you.

In addition, I find it interesting, on occasions, when I encounter someone having difficulties or are unhappy - and I suggest that they care more about people than what they want in the moment - that they will often get upset with me for suggesting it?????

The Traveler

6 hours ago, Traveler said:

I have never paid for the privilege to sit in first class.  I only do so on the whim of whatever airline and its employees.  I have discovered that the more I fly (travel) a particular airline (or other company that caters to travelers) the more they are willing to put me in first class (or provide a upgrade) even though I have purchased a regular class seat.  I have discovered that the better I treat those that serve me (write glowing reports of their service to their employer), the more they remember me and the better I am treated.  I have suggested to other travelers that especially when things go very wrong and you are in great need of assistance - be overly kind and respectful (never angry or turse) towards anyone that can help you.

In addition, I find it interesting, on occasions, when I encounter someone having difficulties or are unhappy - and I suggest that they care more about people than what they want in the moment - that they will often get upset with me for suggesting it?????

The Traveler

There's this thing called Frequent Flyer Miles now.

I have two watches and I lost both of them in the clutter on my side of the bedroom. I'm convinced there's a black hole lurking there; I've lost numerous books, a shaver, two calculators and half a pair of slippers there. My wife lent me her old watch, but I've now gone and lost that too :(

Edited by Jamie123