If not BYU, then what college to send the kids to?

NordicSisu

1 hour ago, prisonchaplain said:

I loved my three-month stint in the Philippines, and can easily see that so many found that great balance between practicality and paying the bills vs. cultivating art and beauty for life enhancement. Further, having studied and taught elementary education, I can agree that the foundations of a good liberal arts education are found K-8. Sadly, these skills are often sabotaged in STEM-dominant high-stakes-testing oriented secondary education.

BUT...since we're drawing on culture and experience, I recall Proctor & Gamble and other companies seeking out graduates of my liberal arts school. The reasoning? We don't need business majors who think they already know it all. We want graduates who can read, write, talk, analyze, and who will learn the way our company operates and then do their great work within our system.

It really is all good. Then again, some of the best liberal arts programs are taught at the more conservative schools, like Hillsdale College (which has free online courses, btw).

Coincidentally, my father graduated Chem Engineering and went straight to Procter & Gamble and became a salesman.  That was how Procter & Gamble did it in the Philippines back in the 70's - doesn't matter how many PhDs are under your belt, you're starting out as a salesman.  They didn't hire experience back then.  They hired college graduates and they all became salesmen regardless of degree.  And the training material for salesmen is basically understanding each product they sell in great detail.  Then you become district manager of sales, then regional manager, then, if you're a chemist, you get sent to work at the factory lab.  They only hired from within - except for their sales people.

Nowadays, they don't expect people to last long within a company, so they hire expertise.  My dad taught us about loyalty and job security as the length of time you can stay in a company.  When I started working as a programmer, I didn't follow my dad's advice - I started thinking of job security as how long it takes me to find a job once I leave the last one.  But, that could be because I wasn't really planning on being a programmer for the rest of my life.  I've always thought I'm going to get married quit my job and raise children.  So that could be why I didn't really care much for my dad's view of job security.