The future

Traveler

25 minutes ago, Vort said:

Well, Scott has fully convinced me. The constant, unending media barrage of hatred toward Republicans, conservatives, and religious folks is exactly equally met with the barrage of hatred toward lefties. Clearly, we here just don't see the other side. There's no imbalance of hatred. None at all. It's all equitable.

At least we can see which side it is coming from on this forum.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:13 PM, MormonGator said:

I'm curious as to what the Washington Post defines as "right wing/ left wing terrorism". Don't get me wrong ,WaPo is a great paper, I used to read it all the time. So I'm not challenging you, I'm honestly curious. 

I agree with you Gator.   Does anyone have a better source or can verify the figures?  

32 minutes ago, Vort said:

Well, Scott has fully convinced me. The constant, unending media barrage of hatred toward Republicans, conservatives, and religious folks is exactly equally met with the barrage of hatred toward lefties. Clearly, we here just don't see the other side. There's no imbalance of hatred. None at all. It's all equitable.

PS, I thought we were comparing violence, not just media coverage.   

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Maybe you're right.  Maybe there are just as much political violence in the right (I disagree, but whatever... my kid wears a MAGA hat in purple Florida and gets harassed... they went to DC with the YM and they were instructed strictly to not wear their MAGA hats - these are ordinary kids that can't wear an ordinary MAGA hat to avoid violence)...

That is truely sad.   I would bet that anyone who wore a Hillary hat in the town I lived in would get the same reaction.    The same is probably true of any coal mining town.  

Lets just agree that such behavoir is unacceptable.   

As far as political violence goes, I don't know which side has more, though both sides certainly have a lot (too much).   Any political violence is anacceptable.   

Based what I see I would say the left has the bigger problem with violent protest and the right has a bigger problem with hate groups.

What we do need to realize though is that most people in America from both sides love America.    When it comes down to it, most of the left isn't involved in violent protest and most of the right doesn't support hate groups.   

One of the biggest problems with hate is from social media as well.  While there are good things about social media, it sure does make it easy to spread hate or to make hateful remarks as well as to spread contention.    It can spread violence as well.  

Edited by Scott

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Just to bring it down to a personal level, here is what happened to me on Facebook.  

CallMeAGoodGerman.png.17258fdd8c7035f00903563f0a3b7015.png

A somewhat similar thing happened to me and a friend on facebook five days ago.  I seldom engage political discussions on FB, but this time I made the "mistake" of commenting on something concerning the Iraq and Syrian wars.

hit.thumb.JPG.2099a0800fb3d5e94a0f4322b7c5fa05.JPG

Apparently the word Hitler is now a label for anyone you disagree with.  

Luckily, I ingnore most of it since if FB is a good measure of humanity then we are all doomed.

Edited by Scott

4 hours ago, Scott said:

That is truely sad.   I would bet that anyone who wore a Hillary hat in the town I lived in would get the same reaction.    The same is probably true of any coal mining town.

Then surely you can cite dozens of news articles detailing how evil, narrow-minded conservatives bullied, vilified, and physically attacked people wearing Hillary t-shirts and stuff. Because I can cite a bunch of nationally reported incidents of conservatives getting harassed and beaten up for daring to wear e.g. a red MAGA cap.

So let's see 'em.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

Then surely you can cite dozens of news articles detailing how evil, narrow-minded conservatives bullied, vilified, and physically attacked people wearing Hillary t-shirts and stuff. Because I can cite a bunch of nationally reported incidents of conservatives getting harassed and beaten up for daring to wear e.g. a red MAGA cap.

So let's see 'em.

Hillary didn't win and no one is wearing Hillary shirts.   

I already provided a source saying hundreds of attacks were instigated against Obama supporters after Obama won.   You are ignoring everything presented.

Here are more sources:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27738018/ns/us_news-life/t/obama-election-spurs-race-threats-crimes/

http://archive.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2009/05/11/obama_election_spurs_wave_of_hate_group_violence/

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2009/racist-backlash-greets-president-barack-obama

Also, there were several conservative groups (including arned militias) threatening a violent revolution and civil war if Hillary was elected.     Which groups were calling for a violent revolution/civil war if Trump were elected?  

Even the Governor of Kentucky called for bloodshed and revolution if Hillary was elected, so no one can claim that it was just a bunch of nobodies calling for the bloodshed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-gov-matt-bevin-says-bloodshed-might-be-165058821.html

Other groups/sources:

https://nypost.com/2016/11/02/meet-the-militia-monitoring-voting-sites-for-fraud/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/28/donald-trump-supporters-warn-of-another-revolutionary-war-if-hil/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trump-supporter-assassinate-hillary-clinton-video-watch-us-election-2016-a7366301.html

I didn't see any Hillary supporters calling for a civil war (which if one really did happen would likely kill hundreds of thousands if not millions), but I did see a bunch of whiney Hillary protesters so you don't have to point those out.  

Edited by Scott

Guest MormonGator
16 hours ago, Scott said:

but I did see a bunch of whiney Hillary protesters

I think you grow up a lot when you realize that all sides, including your own, have their fair share of whiners, petulant brats, and jerks. 

And on the flip side, you grow up a lot when you realize that someone can be a wonderful person and still have vastly different political opinions than your own. 

From what I've seen the right understands this better than the left, because the left generally (yes, generally, not all liberals feel this way) gets their morality from politics. So someone like Al Franken can still be considered a "good person" because he has the correct beliefs that make one a good person even though he's a sexual predator. Many republicans would say that Trump is personally a scumbag while supporting him politically. Very, very few democrats said that about Bill Clinton during his Monica Lewinsky saga. 

Edited by MormonGator

As an amature student of history, I have often wondered how much circumstance is a product of evil conspiring rulers or how much evil conspiring rulers are a product of circumstance.  Following WWI dracroning steps were taken to saddle Germany with the war debt of the allied forces.   This fueled the "us against them" attitude of Germany leading into WWII.  There were good things that happened in Germany under Hitler.  I will list a few:

1. He ended the great depression in Germany

2. He dropped the unemployment rate to almost zero.

3. He, for the most part, ended poverty in Germany.

4. He came as close to ending crime as any leader of the modern industrial era.  One could safely walk any streets of Germany - any time of day or night without fear of being affected by crime.

5. He upgraded education - German schools and students were the best and most productive in the world.

6. He narrowed the gap between the rich and the poor of Germany and significantly expanded the middle class. 

The problem for Hitler was that he lost a war and his political enemies made sure all his bad elements known - to everybody.  It is my political alignment that if we knew what was going on in Washington, that we would take the vast majority of elected officials (both parties) out into the streets and linch them.  The USA is the wealthiest country in the world - and yet our governments takes more from it citizens and gives back less than any other country in the history of earth.

The Traveler

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 5:12 PM, Traveler said:

The USA is the wealthiest country in the world - and yet our governments takes more from it citizens and gives back less than any other country in the history of earth.

The Traveler

I disagree.  There are many oppressive governments that have taken far more from their people then the current United States government in history.  But there is a corrupting rot in the Federal government and in some State governments.  Many things won't get better until a larger number of people turn to God and ask [Him] to heal our land.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

2 minutes ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I disagree.  There are many oppressive governments that have taken far more from their people then the current United States government in history.  But there is a corrupting rot in the Federal government and in some State governments.  Many things won't get better until a larger number of people turn God and ask them to heal our land.

I understand your disagreement so please allow me to refraze.  Our government takes more from it citizens and returns less from what is taken than any other government currently in power.  For example, just from the standpoint of "money" our trial lawyers make more money and accumulate more wealth from this country's citizens than anywhere else in the world because of our corrupt laws.  This one single factor is the greatest single reason for rising health care costs.  We know from our scripture that G-d respects agency as the first principle for His governing a righteous or even unrighteous people.  G-d will not heal our land of corrupt laws but he will give us correct principles and allow us to govern ourselves until we become ripe in our corruption.  I believe ripe in corruption means willing to spill innocent blood.  I personally believe that to make legal to murder a unwanted child that has taken a breath outside it mother's womb is without question (in my mind) the spilling of innocent blood.  There are candidates currently running for president and many in elected positions in the USA that champion this spilling of innocent blood as a right.

One principle that seems to have been lost (but you seem to have connection) - is that liberties and freedom are dependent on the acceptance of a just and compassionate G-d - without which liberties and freedoms cannot endure.  

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I understand your disagreement so please allow me to refraze.  Our government takes more from it citizens and returns less from what is taken than any other government currently in power.  For example, just from the standpoint of "money" our trial lawyers make more money and accumulate more wealth from this country's citizens than anywhere else in the world because of our corrupt laws.  This one single factor is the greatest single reason for rising health care costs.  We know from our scripture that G-d respects agency as the first principle for His governing a righteous or even unrighteous people.  G-d will not heal our land of corrupt laws but he will give us correct principles and allow us to govern ourselves until we become ripe in our corruption.  I believe ripe in corruption means willing to spill innocent blood.  I personally believe that to make legal to murder a unwanted child that has taken a breath outside it mother's womb is without question (in my mind) the spilling of innocent blood.  There are candidates currently running for president and many in elected positions in the USA that champion this spilling of innocent blood as a right.

One principle that seems to have been lost (but you seem to have connection) - is that liberties and freedom are dependent on the acceptance of a just and compassionate G-d - without which liberties and freedoms cannot endure.  

The Traveler

Within 7 days of becoming President, Trump stopped nonprofits that provide or refer abortion procedures outside of the USA from receiving federal funding.

Within 3 years of becoming President, Trump stopped nonprofits that teach or discuss elective abortion outside of the USA from receiving federal funding.

Within 3 years of becoming President, Trump caused Planned Parenthood to opt out of federal subsidies.

Trump appointed 2 pro-life Supreme Court Judges so much so that pro-choice women promoted and continue to promote bogus sex scandals against a Supreme Court Judge to oust him out of the bench.