Conference Rumors

Nacho2Dope

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Just_A_Guy said:

Well, as they say, admitting you have a problem is the first step . . .

Now we just have to deal with my drinking and cocaine problems. 

10 minutes ago, Fether said:

I DO believe the elect of God:
- Desire callings, assignments, and positions of glory

This describes my ex wife who was so charitable and loving to everyone and served in her callings with honor...until she realized that there was a culture where some leaders just delegate their own tasks to everyone else. Her kindness was taken advantaged of for years until she finally got fed up and left the church. 

3 minutes ago, priesthoodpower said:

This describes my ex wife who was so charitable and loving to everyone and served in her callings with honor...until she realized that there was a culture where some leaders just delegate their own tasks to everyone else. Her kindness was taken advantaged of for years until she finally got fed up and left the church. 

which is why this and the things I wrote down are not the only things required for the elect. Other attributes and gifts are given to the elect that would naturally prevent this.

Edited by Fether

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

I think 95% of LDS are doing a great job living the rules and standards of the church and feel terrible guilt about the things they struggle with. The LAST thing they need is to be lectured to about how poorly they are doing. 

2 Nephi 28:21-25 naturally comes to mind.

21 And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell.

23 Yea, they are grasped with death, and hell; and death, and hell, and the devil, and all that have been seized therewith must stand before the throne of God, and be judged according to their works, from whence they must go into the place prepared for them, ...

25 Wo be unto him that crieth: All is well!

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, Fether said:

2 Nephi 28:21-25 naturally comes to mind.

21 And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell.

23 Yea, they are grasped with death, and hell; and death, and hell, and the devil, and all that have been seized therewith must stand before the throne of God, and be judged according to their works, from whence they must go into the place prepared for them, ...

25 Wo be unto him that crieth: All is well!

So...can an LDS be happy, jolly, content....or do we all have to live with inadequacies and struggle with our self worth? Asking for a friend. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

So...can an LDS be happy, jolly, content....or do we all have to live with inadequacies and struggle with our self worth? Asking for a friend. 

I don't believe there is any reason why someone can't acknowledge his imperfections and shortcomings while striving to overcome them, yet still be happy, jolly, and content. I think that's the way God wants us to be. Tell your friend he doesn't have to abandon one for the other.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Vort said:

I don't believe there is any reason why someone can't acknowledge his imperfections and shortcomings while striving to overcome them, yet still be happy, jolly, and content. I think that's the way God wants us to be. Tell your friend he doesn't have to abandon one for the other.

Okay. 

@Vort? You don't have to abandon one for the other. Cheer up! 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Great question! I would argue that you can have these high expectations for yourself... and still be happy and joyful, even when you fall short of those high expectations. Now I am speaking generally, I know there are some people with mental illness that will be judged differently than the rest of those that don't have a mental illness. But we shouldn't cater the things we teach to the minority. I would quote Spencer W Kimball in this topic the same way to spoke about raising families 

“We have no choice … but to continue to hold up the ideal of the Latter-day Saint family. The fact that some do not now have the privilege of living in such a family is not reason enough to stop talking about it. We do discuss family life with sensitivity, however, realizing that many … do not presently have the privilege of belonging or contributing to such a family. But we cannot set aside this standard, because so many other things depend upon it” (Kimball, Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, 294–95).

Just now, MormonGator said:

Okay. 

@Vort? You don't have to abandon one for the other. Cheer up! 

Well...the fact that we know something intellectually doesn't mean we always feel it in our hearts. I often feel condemned or at least greatly limited by my own foolishness and imperfections, but in my best moments I realize that my sinful nature won't destroy me if I strive with faith to follow my Savior. Based on my personality and certain experiences in my childhood and younger adult life, I shy away from standing tall and proclaiming my saved state. Humility becomes me, and my merciful and loving Father has taken some pains to make sure I have experiences constantly throughout my life to remind me to be humble.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Well...the fact that we know something intellectually doesn't mean we always feel it in our hearts

More true words have never been spoken. 

39 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Now we just have to deal with my drinking and cocaine problems. 

They’re only problems if you don’t enjoy them.  

(Another doctrine I expect will be canonized in the upcoming conference.). :satanflame:

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Just_A_Guy said:

They’re only problems if you don’t enjoy them.  

(Another doctrine I expect will be canonized in the upcoming conference.)

Than we are totally in the clear. 

3 hours ago, Vort said:

Two observations:

1. Why do such rumors always involve e.g. SHORTER mission/meeting times instead of LONGER? Where are the three-year-mission rumors? Where are the hopes that the Word of Wisdom will become much more restrictive and tell us other things we shouldn't eat or drink, like maybe soda pop?

2. Why should we expect or even anticipate further changes when we as a Church are doing so poorly in living according to what we already have? It's like people who have never studied scriptures pining for the sealed portion of the gold plates.

[/ice_water]

I complete agree with this. Thanks for the response.

3 hours ago, Fether said:

One observation:

1) Someone always complains about people making “conference rumors” every 6 months when the topic comes up

I mean that in the most light hearted way possible of course :)

but an honest response to this. Correct me if I’m wrong... but God doesn’t really wait for the unfaithful to catch up (Matthew 25:1-13), he just goes forward with his plans and the faithful follow. Additionally, Pres Nelson did say a lot of changes are coming.

I see nothing wrong with speculation of things to come, but I do see something wrong with people getting excited about future changes when they haven’t applied recent changes into their lives (I’m looking at you @Fether).

On a different discussion board someone had questioned what President Nelson meant when he said the work was moving at an accelerated rate, and I think this helps answer that. God does not wait for us to catch up or even pay attention. His work is moving on with or without us!

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I think 95% of LDS are doing a great job living the rules and standards of the church and feel terrible guilt about the things they struggle with. The LAST thing they need is to be lectured to about how poorly they are doing. 

I agree; however, I think that Jana Riess does not 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

If you think so. I know of several LDS who follow all the rules, tithe, everything, and still are incredibly hard on themselves. It's sad. I want to give these people a hug. 

My brother left the church because he felt he couldn't meet the expectations he put on himself. He was constantly stressed over not doing enough and he finally just left. He is not angry with the church, but I don't see him coming back anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Fether said:

Ever have a moment where you hear something that strikes such a strong chord in your heart that it sticks with you forever? There was a man in my ward of whom I respected more than most due to the charity he selflessly gave and the gospel principles I watched him live. I heard him make an off the cuff comment in a gospel doctrine when I was young. I don't remember the topic or what was being discussed, but he said "I think there will be a lot of people expecting to get into the celestial kingdom that will find they are wrong." I'm not saying this man's words are equal to the prophets, but the spirit his comment brought to me (which only I can really be sure of) was undeniable. I would consider the quote by Bruce R McConkie 

“The elect of God comprise a very select group, an inner  of faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are the portion of church members who are striving with all their hearts to keep the fulness of the gospel law in this life so that they can become inheritors of the fulness of gospel rewards in the life to come.”

I am going to make some potentially harsh statement and accusations that may reveal the kind of saint I am (for better or for worst), Of which I am sure many of us are guilty of (and know I am guilty of a few).

I do not believe that the elect of God:
- Complain about giving talks, seriously or sarcastically (I absolutely hate the culture of "it's funny to complain about giving a talk/accepting a calling")
- Reject callings
- Joke about not wanting their current stewardship as a leader or teacher
- Reject an assignment to teach
- Are checking Social Media during church
- Gossip EVER
- watch ANY movie with immoral or ammoral content (PG-13 and some PG movies)
- Attend the temple less than once a month (when within a reachable distance)
- fail to read their scriptures and pray regularly
- Swear
- Break the sabbath
- Fail to do FHE
- Fail to take their spouse on a date (or treat as the spouse desires)
- Fail to read their patriarchal blessing regularly and keep it close to them
- Sleep in (meaning sleeping longer than 8 hours)
- Never lie, steal, or pirate material

- Aspire to Godhood
- Retire to bed early and arise early to prepare spiritually for the day
- Eat healthily
- Exercise
- LOVE the scriptures and LOVE prayer

I can go on and on but I'll stop there. I think we will all be IMMENSELY happy and satisfied with where were end up. Because where we end up is where we will be the most happy... But where we end up may not be exaltation. And why is that? "Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men" ... and frankly, we don't want it. We all say we do because it is what we are taught... but how many of us, based on how we live our lives, REALLY want to live a perfect exalted life?

(Now there is a whole nother topic about grace and repentance that expands on this... but let's see how this goes first)

Thank you! Really enjoyed your response. 

5 hours ago, Fether said:

Ever have a moment where you hear something that strikes such a strong chord in your heart that it sticks with you forever? There was a man in my ward of whom I respected more than most due to the charity he selflessly gave and the gospel principles I watched him live. I heard him make an off the cuff comment in a gospel doctrine when I was young. I don't remember the topic or what was being discussed, but he said "I think there will be a lot of people expecting to get into the celestial kingdom that will find they are wrong." I'm not saying this man's words are equal to the prophets, but the spirit his comment brought to me (which only I can really be sure of) was undeniable. I would consider the quote by Bruce R McConkie 

“The elect of God comprise a very select group, an inner  of faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are the portion of church members who are striving with all their hearts to keep the fulness of the gospel law in this life so that they can become inheritors of the fulness of gospel rewards in the life to come.”

I am going to make some potentially harsh statement and accusations that may reveal the kind of saint I am (for better or for worst), Of which I am sure many of us are guilty of (and know I am guilty of a few).

- Complain about giving talks, seriously or sarcastically (I absolutely hate the culture of "it's funny to complain about giving a talk/accepting a calling")
- Reject callings
- Gossip EVER
- Swear
- Break the sabbath
- Fail to do FHE

- Aspire to Godhood
- Eat healthily
- Exercise

I can go on and on but I'll stop there. I think we will all be IMMENSELY happy and satisfied with where were end up. Because where we end up is where we will be the most happy... But where we end up may not be exaltation. And why is that? "Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men" ... and frankly, we don't want it. We all say we do because it is what we are taught... but how many of us, based on how we live our lives, REALLY want to live a perfect exalted life?

(Now there is a whole nother topic about grace and repentance that expands on this... but let's see how this goes first)

I know no one who does all this, and never have.  It’s the sort of thinking that leads to self destructive guilt trips. Most of us need to work on one thing at a time. I’m an early riser, but I don’t think I’ll be out of the elect by sleeping in once in a while. And I seriously don’t aspire to any Church offices as well.  This among many other defects in my character  

I believe that being elect and going to the Celestial Kingdom is a process. One that we won’t necessarily fulfill in our mortal lifetimes. 

Edited by mrmarklin

10 hours ago, Fether said:

- Reject callings
- Gossip EVER
- Swear
- Break the sabbath
- Fail to do FHE

- Aspire to Godhood
- Eat healthily
- Exercise

Only the LORD judges those who are to go to heaven or not.  I have a hope that many will be there, but I only know that I can try my hardest.

For those who are the elect of the Lord...I don't think waking early or going to bed early necessarily have anything to do with who gets to go to heaven and who does not.  Nor do I feel that list necessarily has much that describes those that accept the Lord or not.

I'd say more likely it has to do with two great commandments...

Those who love the Lord with all their heart, might, mind and strength...

and

Those who love their neighbors as themselves.

With the first, I think it will guide those who strive to follow the commandments to show their love of the Lord...and in this, I think sometimes it WILL be the intents of the heart and what was intended more than what is shown...

but with the second...

I think it may be able to be seen in the actions of those who truly care for others and what happens to others that will reflect on what one really thinks and feels and believes.

Hopefully we will ALL meet together in the Kingdom of Heaven, but I think we will be judged more on how much like the Lord we become and emulate rather than just simply following the instructions of other men or leaders, or simply following along.  I think it deals more with our hearts and minds and deeds, how we think and why we think what we do, than simply just what we do in relation to the church or church callings and such.

I DO think that we tend to be judgmental in our observations and thoughts on who is the elect and who are not at times.  We may be very surprised at who attains the Celestial rewards in heaven.  Some who may the be greatest among us may be those who we felt were the lowest of us, and some of those the world holds in high regard may not be some of those that are of the highest standing when we reach heaven.  Man seems to have a very different valuation in regards to judging those who are the best and the worst than that of the Lord.  I just hope that I myself will be able to reach heaven and find joy, and that my children will also be able to join me there.

Hopefully we will also find many of our loved ones and friends, and hopefully all of you will find yourselves in a joyous occasion in heaven as well.

Edited by JohnsonJones

5 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

I know no one who does all this, and never have.  It’s the sort of thinking that leads to self destructive guilt trips. Most of us need to work on one thing at a time. I’m an early riser, but I don’t think I’ll be out of the elect by sleeping in once in a while. And I seriously don’t aspire to any Church offices as well.  This among many other defects in my character  

I believe that being elect and going to the Celestial Kingdom is a process. One that we won’t necessarily fulfill in our mortal lifetimes. 

I agree with everything you say :) I too don’t know anyone, but it’s the principle I’m talking about. It is a healthy, enabling, and glorifying thing to be able to identify as something higher, even when we fall short. 

Like I said above, you do not need to be self destructive to have high expectations for yourself. That sort of thinking motivates me to be better. I have a mission statement that I read every single morning that is full of high expectations like “I am a perfect father, husband, disciple of Christ, leader, servant, teacher, follower. I read scriptures every day, love everyone I meet, etc.” reading this doesn’t make me feel inadequate, it raises my sense of self and helps me desire to be a better person.

Now admittedly, if my wife were to read it every day, she would likely fall into a state of anxiety due to feeling inadequate. 

I would also add that a little bit of stress is NOT bad. I find I do my best good when I am most concerned about my standing with God.

Edited by Fether

11 hours ago, Fether said:

- Reject callings
- Gossip EVER
- Swear
- Break the sabbath
- Fail to do FHE

- Aspire to Godhood
- Eat healthily
- Exercise

Well, I just got called to repentance.   

11 hours ago, Fether said:

As I wrote that, there were a few things I didn't want to add, and a couple I didn't add due to the self-condemnation it would have brought. But there is a VERY IMPORTANT discussion to be had about this grace ... however, I am hesitant to say anything because whenever we add "but", "however", or "that's why" to a discussion, it naturally negates all previous conversation... which happens all the time and may be one reason why we as members become soft to commandments.

It needs to be said.   I need to hear it.  

33 minutes ago, Grunt said:

It needs to be said.   I need to hear it.  

It’s the direction you are facing that matters most. I cannot find it right now, but there is a talk by Elder Uchtdorf where he talks about how we need to be facing the right way, and walking in that direction. There are many that are just sitting and not looking to raise their way of life.

The things I listed are attributes of the elect. But You will not accomplish the elect life on your own, but we need to be making progress for this. The grace of God is what helps us get there, partially by helping us apply it, partially by covering the punishment of falling short. But keep in mind 3 Nephi 9:20,22

“20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.

22 Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved.”

You MUST repent if you are to enter the kingdom of God, we cannot be content with the life we live.

The reason I am so hesitant on talking about this crucial point is that many use it as a “get out of [commandment] free card”. They say “We need to read scriptures every day, but if you fail sometimes, we can repent and God still lives us”. Then later they put more weight on the repentance portion than the actual commandment and direction to study the gospel... and then bam... we have more saints not reading scripture every day than that do.

The people that deserve this discussion on grace and repentance are the ones that feel guilty for falling short on the commandments, not the ones that want to avoid the feelings of guilt.

Edited by Fether