The covenant land

GaleG

Hello,

Would you help me understand this verse.

2 Nephi 1:5 says "But, said he, notwithstanding our afflictions, we have obtained a
land of promise, a land which is choice above all other lands; a land which the Lord
God hath covenanted with me should be a land for the inheritance of my seed. Yea,
the Lord hath covenanted this land unto me, and to my children forever, and also
all those who should be led out of other countries by the hand of the Lord".

Is there a scripture which hints, for example, that the Lord would lead people out
of other countries to a place like Australia so it too would be considered a covenant
land in addition to the land Nephi was referring to?  Or is Nephi's land the only
covenant land which the Lord would lead people out of other countries to?

Thank you,

Gale

43 minutes ago, GaleG said:

Hello,

2 Nephi 1:5 says "But, said he, notwithstanding our afflictions, we have obtained a
land of promise, a land which is choice above all other lands; a land which the Lord
God hath covenanted with me should be a land for the inheritance of my seed. Yea,
the Lord hath covenanted this land unto me, and to my children forever, and also

Is there a scripture which hints, for example, that the Lord would lead people out
of other countries to a place like Australia so it too would be considered a covenant
land in addition to the land Nephi was referring to?  Or is Nephi's land the only

Thank you,

Gale

The easiest one is the children of Israel and the land that was covenanted to them, which they had to travel to.  The simple fact that Lehi was provided a promised land is reason enough to believe that the Lord would have covenanted with others in sending them to a different land also.

There is no record, at this moment, of Australia being a covenanted land to a specific people; however, as the Book of Mormon mentions Christ did not just come to the American continent and visit after his death and resurrection. He went to other sheep, and other sheep could have easily have been people in Australia and other islands, we simply do not have their record yet.

We know God though has covenanted land. Why only America? It hasn't been only America so it is safe to make the assumption other islands, continents, could very well have been covenanted.

18 hours ago, GaleG said:

Hello,

Thank you,

Gale

See 3 Nephi 15:15-20 and 2 Nephi 29:12. Jacob 5 is about the Lord transplanting nations to spots of ground all across His vineyard.

Edited by CV75

6 minutes ago, GaleG said:

What is the meaning of Jacob 5:77?

Thank you.

Gale

At the conclusion of the "Millennium" Satan will be let loose once again and for a period of time (we don't know how long) wickedness will again exist in the world. There will be a final battle where the wicked are destroyed. Judgement will be passed and Satan and his followers are then cast out into outer darkness for good. At this time the earth will be cleansed with fire and will transform from a Paradisaical type glory to Celestial glory. 

2 hours ago, GaleG said:

Thank you.

Gale

Asking random questions about specific scriptures, as you are wont to do, is not an effective way to understand them. You really need to read the scriptures in context. Any explanation would of necessity be incomplete and possibly misleading.

If your questions are sincere, I suggest you spend the next five or ten years reading, studying, comparing, and praying about the Book of Mormon and the Bible, with perhaps the other LDS standard works thrown in. You will find many answers—many  more than you will ever find asking random one-off questions on a discussion list.

11 hours ago, GaleG said:

Thank you.

Gale

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/book-of-mormon-seminary-teacher-manual-2017/jacob/lesson-47-jacob-5-52-77-6-1-13?lang=eng

"Summarize Jacob 5:76–77 by explaining that after the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, righteousness will prevail for a “long time” (during the Millennium). When evil again enters the world, God will separate the righteous from the wicked and cleanse the earth by fire."

On 9/13/2019 at 2:07 PM, GaleG said:

Hello,

Thank you,

Gale

There is a tendency when reading scripture to apply narrow interpretations - sometimes with the excuse of literal and historical.   The great patriarch of both Israel and Islam is Abraham.  As we read in scripture as Abram rises to prominence with G-d and becomes Abraham.  The crowning jewel in the rise of Abraham before G-d is what we now call the Abrahamic Covenant.   This is very important because it lays the foundation and structure by which G-d always establishes his covenant with his chosen "children".   Within the Abrahamic Covenant are 3 distinct promises G-d makes to Abraham in the covenant.  These 3 promises are always present when G-d establishes his covenant - ALWAYS.  For the purpose of this thread and specifically your question - I will incase my understanding of one particular promise within the Covenant.  This is the promise of a Promise Land.  Without exception Biblical scholars believe the promised land to Abraham is the area currently occupied by the Jews as what is called the "Holy Land" or state of Israel - plus the land also referred to as Palestine. 

There is something very special about the land often called the Holy Land.  We know that was the land of promise to Abraham.  But this is the very narrow and limited interpretation of scripture.  A promised land for mortals that covenant with G-d goes beyond a land to occupy while living out mortality.  A promised land is a "type" and "shadow" for an inheritance (place) to live in the resurrection to glory in the life hereafter.   The things of this earth or world are all things that can become corrupted - but the promised land of G-d to his covenant children is a eternal and everlasting covenant - which cannot be corrupted.

Provided for us in scripture are several exoduses where G-d leads his righteous covenant children away from precious lands of the world - to a new place that G-d always calls a "promised land".  Perhaps the first is the epoch of Noah.  There are many others, including the journey of Abraham (a stranger in a strange land), the epoch of Moses, the Jews returning to Jerusalem from Babylon, the epoch of Lehi and his family from Jerusalem to somewhere in America that was called the Land of Lehi.  But the Book of Mormon has others: Nephi leaving the land of Lehi to the land of Nephi.  Then later leaving the land of Nephi to the land of Zarahemla.  There is also the Anti Nephi Lehites leaving the lands of the Lamenites and settling in what was called "Bountiful" - and also the Jaredites leaving ancient Babal to come to the Americas.  In our modern era we have the pioneers that left the United States of America and traveled west to a land known as "The Top of the Mountains".  Not so long ago I was in Taiwan and spent some time with the Saints there that were establishing a covenant land of promise in that country.

There is a clarion call currently going on now for all G-d's righteous covenant children to gather to "stakes" of Zion that will extend to every nation, kindred, tongue and people.  All according to prophecy concerning the Last Days.  Most think in terms of such times in terms of a destruction of wicked.  Such thinking is a great miss of the mark - because this is the time and "Dispensation" of restoration and the "Fullness" of times.  All leading up to the return of Jesus Christ - at which time the entire planet will become "The Promise Land" and a land of Peace (for 1,000 years).

Does this mean anything to you?  What will you leave and where will you go for Peace?

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler